rossboyer

Should FMCA Allow Towable RVs-- Vote NOW

16 hours ago, Isaaac1 said:

Smithy, it is great to see you participating here, and I do hope you continue to communicate with all of us even after the vote is over.

As I have stated previously I am against allowing towables full membership as I feel it would take the focus off of motorhomes.

Having said that, if this vote fails, are there and new plans and initiatives in place to try to recruit more / younger members? 

Or is the attitude one of throwing in the towel and going down with the ship if this vote fails?

We have many member benefits that are all coming to fruition at the same time. Many of them will be very attractive to younger potential members. Stay tuned. Throwing in the towel isn’t even a thought that has crossed my mind or the executive board’s mind.

4 hours ago, RAYIN said:

On Oct 5 Smithy said: " This is not the only solution. Just one that was presented. "

Didn’t mean to inisnuate we have other fully thought out plans. It was a generic statement. Again pointing to the financials, the current level of benefits and services would have to be modified. Revenue is not keeping up with those costs.

12 hours ago, jimnorman said:

Isaaac1,

But people that have a towable are young! That is why they want to change the organization, only OLD people have motor homes. See if the towables are allowed in we'll reduce the average age of the FMCA from 71 down to 32.

Seriously, what initiative has been undertaken to recruit and retain members? So far as I know virtually none. OK, at the large RV shows we have a booth. Do we send invites to all new owners of Motor Homes? Do we have a one year free trial given out by the manufacturers or dealers?

We have programs in place with many manufacturers and dealers. We offer comp memberships to their buyers, and we convert those comps into paying members at a pretty enocouraging clip. Much better than other associations. 

12 hours ago, Isaaac1 said:

I am 48 and own a class A motorhome, there is a guy on the online owners forum for my model that just bought one this week, and while I am not sure his exact age I know he is younger than I am and has 4 year old twins.  The problem is not that there are not younger people that own motorhomes, the problem is there is little in the FMCA to attract them.

I promise you that we will have some very attractive benefits for not only younger people, but all ages.

smithy.,

Now, that I'm "Old, feeble minded and same with body" (BS that's what everyone thinks about us over 71) !  I have had nothing but good times with FMCA in the past 39 years and it would have been 1967, but I was working Internationally!  Since I did not become a member at 71 years old...I still had plenty of reasons to belong to FMCA...it's a state of mind.  These days everyone want's the "freebies" and geared for them!!!   Trust me, in the old days, the only thing "FREE", was the Fellowship & sharing of coach information! :)

Forget the trailers and raise the annual dues!  Sure, you'll get plenty of flack from the folks that dish out $400+k for a coach, then stay in Wall Mart parking lots! :angry::wacko:

23 hours ago, jimnorman said:

Isaaac1,

But people that have a towable are young! That is why they want to change the organization, only OLD people have motor homes. See if the towables are allowed in we'll reduce the average age of the FMCA from 71 down to 32.

Seriously, what initiative has been undertaken to recruit and retain members? So far as I know virtually none. OK, at the large RV shows we have a booth. Do we send invites to all new owners of Motor Homes? Do we have a one year free trial given out by the manufacturers or dealers?

I bought my first RV in 1976.  It was a 1969 Lifetime.  I used it for 8 weeks and sold it and got a 1975 Pace Arrow.  Joined FMCA in 1978.  I was 38 years old then and I have about 400K miles on about 10 motorhomes since.  I joined FMCA because it was for motorhomes only.

If we are talking about age, I was 39 when I joined FMCA back in '94.  We were VERY part time with an entry level DP.  We only upgraded once and that was to our current coach which we purchased in '99.  Only one reason to be here and that "was" information about Motor homes for Motor Home owners.  Age does not need to be a factor but if you look at the majority of FMCA  RV reviews (at least a huge number) you will find that most RVers could never afford the RVs reviewed.  What say you focus more on the Motor home for the average Joe and not the RV for the rich!

12 hours ago, smithy said:

Didn’t mean to inisnuate we have other fully thought out plans. It was a generic statement. Again pointing to the financials, the current level of benefits and services would have to be modified. Revenue is not keeping up with those costs.

That statement would be true if membership were to remain low which it has not.  Jon just announced an increase of almost 5% over last Fiscal Year

This would seem to resolve the presumed "financial problems" of the club  

Exhibit B from the sales package (photo below) assumed a whopping 32% increase in the cost of ASSIST   This increase was projected based on one quarter of membership data   3 Months! 

Since we had an increase in membership and not the projected decrease...the projected cost need to be updated and republished for the current vote 

Additionally it would appear we bought Assist even though we had to dip into Investment Funds to buy it when it was $4.32  

While on the subject of these exhibits presented.   What is exhibit A intended to show with revenue per member at $62.26?  

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Bill I am all for those reviews of expensive coaches,  as they give me something to go back and look at in 10 or so years once they have depreciated down to the point where I might consider buying one.  In fact I used one of those FMCA review originally published back in 2003 when I was shopping for my current coach last year. 

4 hours ago, jeff753 said:

That statement would be true if membership were to remain low which it has not.  Jon just announced an increase of almost 5% over last Fiscal Year

This would seem to resolve the presumed "financial problems" of the club  

Exhibit B from the sales package (photo below) assumed a whopping 32% increase in the cost of ASSIST   This increase was projected based on one quarter of membership data   3 Months! 

Since we had an increase in membership and not the projected decrease...the projected cost need to be updated and republished for the current vote 

Additionally it would appear we bought Assist even though we had to dip into Investment Funds to buy it when it was $4.32  

While on the subject of these exhibits presented.   What is exhibit A intended to show with revenue per member at $62.26?  

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Membership did grow this year. Problem is we spent a lot of marketing dollars to make that happen. That 3,500 membership gain has not come close to solving our financial issues.

FMCAssist just went up 53.5% effective 10/1. Agreement is signed through end of July, and the governing board will again decide if we continue to carry it. Governing board approved carrying it when the 2018 fiscal year budget was passed. 

The revenue figure in exhibit A shows how much we collect per member. All revenue- not just dues.

13 hours ago, manholt said:

smithy.,

Now, that I'm "Old, feeble minded and same with body" (BS that's what everyone thinks about us over 71) !  I have had nothing but good times with FMCA in the past 39 years and it would have been 1967, but I was working Internationally!  Since I did not become a member at 71 years old...I still had plenty of reasons to belong to FMCA...it's a state of mind.  These days everyone want's the "freebies" and geared for them!!!   Trust me, in the old days, the only thing "FREE", was the Fellowship & sharing of coach information! :)

Forget the trailers and raise the annual dues!  Sure, you'll get plenty of flack from the folks that dish out $400+k for a coach, then stay in Wall Mart parking lots! :angry::wacko:

Hear Hear! I said that several months ago. I have never seen a medical assist program for underl $100/yr. The ratio of members to users of other medical assist programs cannot be significantly different that FMCA assist program. That points to raising dues, I wouldn't object to $100/yr FMCA dues considering the benefits received, then leaving the organization as is. You nailed the issue!

I second the motion~!  I too joined for the Motorhome aspect not fiver information. I joined for info new and old but not for trailers. Trailers are fine but I do not want a magazine about coaches diluted all kinds of stuff related to  fifth wheels and trailers. How many articles do we see today about older coaches and what some have done in upgrading them to modern standards? There is more to this subject than is being used...just sayin it is not all about new it should be about where we have been as well. Raise the the rate

A little math, had there not been an illegal investment of $250k to RVillage and how much is being spent at the current meeting in Elkhart, IN?:o  Bet, we could cover the extra cost of Assist for several years!  All we get is denial and excuses....sure would be nice to put a stop to wasteful spending and $$$$ going out the back door! :angry: 

11 hours ago, Isaaac1 said:

Bill I am all for those reviews of expensive coaches,  as they give me something to go back and look at in 10 or so years once they have depreciated down to the point where I might consider buying one.  In fact I used one of those FMCA review originally published back in 2003 when I was shopping for my current coach last year. 

Maybe I could look up the information on line but there's not a chance I would be saving 10 years worth of of any kind of magazine!  Glad it works for you.  Heck, when I did renew my membership last year they never even sent a single magazine.  Not sure what the membership benefits includes these days but I don't see where I received even 1.

3 hours ago, BillAdams said:

Maybe I could look up the information on line but there's not a chance I would be saving 10 years worth of of any kind of magazine!  Glad it works for you.  Heck, when I did renew my membership last year they never even sent a single magazine.  Not sure what the membership benefits includes these days but I don't see where I received even 1.

I save them so I can take them to the doctors office and leave them for others to read.  They seem to get snapped up pretty quickly.

Wish the vote tally was higher!

4 hours ago, manholt said:

A little math, had there not been an illegal investment of $250k to RVillage and how much is being spent at the current meeting in Elkhart, IN?:o  Bet, we could cover the extra cost of Assist for several years!  All we get is denial and excuses....sure would be nice to put a stop to wasteful spending and $$$$ going out the back door! :angry: 

Nothing will change unless those who made that decision are removed from office:(

repelatt,

Let me ask you some questions. 

Are you in a Chapter?

If so have you ever held an office?

Do you attend either a Chapter Rally, an Area Rally or a National Convention & Family Reunion?

Do you Volunteer to help anywhere?

If you see the need to change the officers, you are welcomed to run for one of the offices. That are open to any FMCA member in good standing. 

What I am saying if not involved get involved. What FMCA doesn't need are more arm chair quarterbacks. 

IMHO

Herman 

7 hours ago, manholt said:

The board is and has been trying different initiatives to turn membership around. 

I can tell you what did not work- sitting on our hands and doing nothing. Membership lost every year from 2004-2016. Membership gains occurred when we partnered with RVillage. When we ramped up marketing efforts. I applaud the board for trying something.....anything to curb the bleeding.

I invite you to visit the national office and tell me where we are wastefully spending money. 

5 hours ago, smithy said:

Vote count update- 4,789 ballots returned so far.

Thank you for the update. We have encouraged our chapter members to vote, but is there anything else we can do to stimulate voting?

9 minutes ago, rossboyer said:

Thank you for the update. We have encouraged our chapter members to vote, but is there anything else we can do to stimulate voting?

Not sure. We have put a notice on the front cover of the magazine, on the front page of the website, in the newsletter, digital magazine announcement etc.