rossboyer

Should FMCA Allow Towable RVs-- Vote NOW

I grabbed a GS Life Membership a number of years back for $199.  Some of the best money ever spent.  I actually get real, usable benefits nearly everyday.  I also use their road service and they have come through with excellent service twice in the RV and once when my car needed a tow.

1 hour ago, BillAdams said:

I grabbed a GS Life Membership a number of years back for $199

Ditto! That has paid for itself 5x over in discounts.

We hung out at a GS rally once, we were out of place and didn't realize it, surrounded by trailers that only go no more than 100 miles 3x a year, they looked at us like we were strange when we discussed all the trips we have taken in the coach. Once they saw what we had for an RV, the cold shoulders came out and that was the end of that. They like you when they think they have something on you, once the hand changes you are ousted. I hope this is just an East Coast thing and its not this way all over the US, its getting old.

Joe.  Must be a East Coast thing.  I'm in a KOA Mount Pleasant, TX., Lot's off fifth's and 7 DP's...Everybody got together last night for a Meet & Greet, except for a couple from Buffalo, NY.  We had a very informative get together!

I went to one National GS Rally in Phoenix, AZ.,  4 years ago and it was about 60% Trailers, 40% coaches, everyone I met was happy, friendly campers...who was surrounding me and we all had pot luck HH each afternoon at 4pm.  I was there because my best friends had fifth's and never been to a rally....We thought James and DW would be the only fifth that also had 2 horses, no way, about a dozen with the same set up from Maryland.

Carl, good to know for when we head your way next summer, I'll have to remind the wife people over in those parts are friendly. Every once in a while I get an older couple that is friendly and wants to chat, any in our age group or younger wouldn't give us the time of day if I asked. I'm a friendly guy I always say hello and good morning to people, I get snubbed. If I'm near the coach, if I'm not they will respond back, very strange. I hope that don't make its way onto here if this restructures, it will be a sad day.

Life is different West of the Mississippi River!  As in "The Lion King".  " Son, we don't go to the East side, that's the dark side"! :lol:

3 hours ago, manholt said:

Life is different West of the Mississippi River!  As in "The Lion King".  " Son, we don't go to the East side, that's the dark side"! :lol:

:lol:

Carl, I would add, "and south of Maryland" to the 'west of the Mississippi' comment.  We are members in a CG on the Gulf, there are no friendlier people than those in Mississippi.

No hackles up, Carl.  I know some of you Texans get confused about the fact that there are some other states in the union besides yours...thought I'd better add some clarification.:D

I do not object to allowing owners of towable  RVs to join the FMCA. I do strongly object to the use of "recreation vehicle" in the constitution. The word recreation is a noun and should not be used in a clumsy attempt to modify the word vehicle. The proper term is "recreational vehicle." Recreational is an adjective and properly used to modify the noun vehicle. I vote NO for this reason only.

Lester Shields 

On September 18, 2017 at 9:18 AM, dons2346 said:

The projected cost of the Assist program is a little under $12/yr and that is per F number. Most numbers have at least two people on that number. Back when we voted to raise dues, 5 bucks, people came unglued.

The largest gain in membership was in the two years that we didn't have any type of assist program.

That $12 was forecast based on the last fly quarter of 2016 loss membership loss rates.  We did not have those losses in fact we gained membership last year thus REDUCING Assist per member cost.  The protected $12 was a fares created to sell a position.  Who uses one quarter of data to forecast??

On October 14, 2017 at 2:01 PM, cwswine said:

I would say that’s not bad percentage base it off the percentage that goes to rally’s. Most national rally have less than 2% of the membership bothers to show up and look at the effort put into organizing one.  

Many I know do not show up because they don't view the cramped spaces and cost a good value.  Rallies are expensive to register for and get to.  Now park that car under your awning and enjoy your stay!

Lester.  Welcome to the Forum!

Whatever the nomenclature, definition thereof....I still voted NO! :angry: Had they stuck with the original plan, then I would probably have gone with a yes! :)

16 hours ago, jeff753 said:

That $12 was forecast based on the last fly quarter of 2016 loss membership loss rates.  We did not have those losses in fact we gained membership last year thus REDUCING Assist per member cost.  The protected $12 was a fares created to sell a position.  Who uses one quarter of data to forecast??

It was based on how many members we had at the time. Also the loss ratio at the time. Loss ratio is what Seven Corners uses to determine their rates. We could only use the data we had available. The rate changed 10/1/16, so anything before that would have been useless in projecting what the new rate would be.

New rates started on 10/1/17, and I can assure you the rate was not reduced per member. It actually was more than we projected.

Good morning, Smithy.

If I understand this...the more members we gain, the rate per member goes up?  The more members we lose, it goes down?  That makes no sense!  Why then would we want towables to join?  To watch the rate climb? :blink::wacko:

16 minutes ago, manholt said:

Good morning, Smithy.

If I understand this...the more members we gain, the rate per member goes up?  The more members we lose, it goes down?  That makes no sense!  Why then would we want towables to join?  To watch the rate climb? :blink::wacko:

Anyone in insurance will tell you that the more people to spread the risk, the more likely the cost per member will go down. Doesn't mean that will be the case every time. Yes our membership did grow, but so did the claims. 

The fact of the matter is towables are a younger average age. The younger you are, the less medical issues you have. If we can increase membership with younger towable owners, naturally the cost per member will go down because they won't have as many claims as our current membership.

We keep hearing about claims going up, with increase of Motor Home members only....anything to substantiate that?  Just trying for hard facts, have never seen any.

50 minutes ago, manholt said:

We keep hearing about claims going up, with increase of Motor Home members only....anything to substantiate that?  Just trying for hard facts, have never seen any.

I know the premiums we pay and the claims Seven Corners pays out.

When I chaired the first Committee to select the provider for FMCASSIST the average age of our membership was 66 years + or - 2 months based on gender. Seven years later, the average age was 71 with the same 2 months except the gender had switch as which was younger or older. Statically, any insurance company will tell you the older the group insured, the greater the claims. As more of our members become aware that this insurance is provided and get older, more claims are made.

We still have members that still don’t know we have this insurance or know the procedure to activate the service. Also, cost of the services has increased. Early years the average repatriation cost was $18,000. The last I heard, the cost had increased to $24,000 and that was a few years ago. 

I'm not trying to or attempting to get argumentative on this issue, but for the benefit of all FMCA members, why will no one substantiate the claim?  Anybody can throw out numbers, but if you can't or won't substantiate it...then all it is, is just numbers and have zero meaning!

I'm currently at FMCA Six State Rally.  Both Jon Walker and "Rett" Porter is here.  I suspect that one or both off them will supply what I'm requesting.  

3 hours ago, smithy said:

Anyone in insurance will tell you that the more people to spread the risk, the more likely the cost per member will go down. Doesn't mean that will be the case every time. Yes our membership did grow, but so did the claims. 

The fact of the matter is towables are a younger average age. The younger you are, the less medical issues you have. If we can increase membership with younger towable owners, naturally the cost per member will go down because they won't have as many claims as our current membership.

Where I have heard if younger people sign up rates will go down -----  Oh yes I remember now The Affordable Care Act and how that work out.