rossboyer

Should FMCA Allow Towable RVs-- Vote NOW

20 hours ago, WhiteEagle said:

Voted NO .. for the same 10 reasons expressed on forum 110 different ways...

I really hope the leaders haven't spent a single penny on developing premature and hopefully useless ad company ads, programs, or solicitation articles for a pre-planned campaign.

That would be an significant and expensive financial error.  Thinking that unless the FMCA leaders spend tons on a campaign, the members are going to vote a resounding NO.... and hopefully we'll be a Motor Coach Association going forward.

We have had meetings to discuss what needs to change IF the vote goes through. We can't wait until December 1st to decide changes that need to be made. With that said, we have spent nothing on ads, programs or solicitations. Contrary to popular belief, nothing is being presumed. I hope everyone understands that we must have discussions and plans in place whichever way the vote goes!

Smithy.  With due respect, you and Jon Walker, need to get on the same page and story!  I see no reason why our NP should tell the wrong story at the 50th Anniversary rally for Lone Star Chapter in Durant, OK last week.

1,568 is a dismal number and I hope it picks up next month, when things get back to some normalizes after 2 major hurricanes.   Whether you are for or against, there is a lot riding on the vote!

Forgot about Associate Member, been there myself.  Sorry.  

2 hours ago, manholt said:

Smithy.  With due respect, you and Jon Walker, need to get on the same page and story!  I see no reason why our NP should tell the wrong story at the 50th Anniversary rally for Lone Star Chapter in Durant, OK last week.

1,568 is a dismal number and I hope it picks up next month, when things get back to some normalizes after 2 major hurricanes.   Whether you are for or against, there is a lot riding on the vote!

Forgot about Associate Member, been there myself.  Sorry.  

Manholt you may have forgotten about the associate member but your post alluding a changed magazine in December appears to be gossip. Harmful gossip. That is not in the interest of the forum or membership  

As to voter turnout -//. If you do not attend rallys it's likely you don't even know about the vote. So I wouldn't expect more than 3000 votes.  Not representative but it is what it is. I don't think national directors are representative either since less than 1/3 belong to chapters. But again it is what it is.

Thanks to Chris Smith for clarifying the gossip  

3 hours ago, jeff753 said:

Manholt you may have forgotten about the associate member but your post alluding a changed magazine in December appears to be gossip. Harmful gossip. That is not in the interest of the forum or membership  

As to voter turnout -//. If you do not attend rallys it's likely you don't even know about the vote. So I wouldn't expect more than 3000 votes.  Not representative but it is what it is. I don't think national directors are representative either since less than 1/3 belong to chapters. But again it is what it is.

Thanks to Chris Smith for clarifying the gossip  

Jeff- We are doing our best to spread the word. It's in bold red lettering on the magazine cover. It's a highlighted announcement on the home page of the website. We have included it in the newsletter. On social media. Not sure what else we can do to let membership know.

It is now up to All Chapter Presidents, Chapter National Director and especially the membership to be informed on this issue. I have said it before and will say it again it is up to the membership plain and simple. Vote your conscious, but PLEASE VOTE! 

Chris, let me thank you for being open and honest to the members in addressing issues and defusing rumors. We have needed this for a long time.

Thank you.

Herman

I am still new to fmca. Have not even found a chapter to look over, since most in my area do not even list a web site... and those with a web site do not fit. I did vote. I am in my mid 50's, and can travel at will. Class c is our choice. While I am sure there are others like me in fmca (age, c or b class, or both) they seem to be hard to find... This may be the bigger issue, as others have already said. If there is not an easy way to find those similar to me, those like me will never stick, and the group will not grow. Perception is reality in many cases, so retired Class A may be the perception causing the lack of growth commensurate with unit sales.

If the perception does not change, towable addition will not net much, of any at all.

Just a noobs opinion... 

3 hours ago, manholt said:

Dp26.  Welcome!

Where are you at?

Napa Valley CA. (Filled in profile just now)

Bp29,

Welcome to the Forum. If you will contact Lon Cross, Western Area Nationl Vice President at lcross@fmca.com he will help you locate a chapter to fit your needs. 

VOTE

Herman 

Thanks Herman. I will find or make a place... a few folks have been chatting with me already.

I had to print a new ballot since discussing what I was actually looking for.

I changed my mind towards inclusive, and hopefully focusing on the F and A, instead of the letters between.

The options are many, versus the time when my dad converted buses as a hobby, but the people who enjoy what we do are still the same.

Yes, things will change, but change can be good. So there is an article, forum, or presentation we may skip, we already do anyway. I currently skip things on air brakes, auto steps, and diesel. Others have no need to read a gas or E450 topic, be concerned with having internet 24/7, have any interest in DIY, or drop by a first timers meeting at a rally. Legacy eggs could avoid extinction.

dp26,

I may be reading your message wrong about reprinting your ballot. But let me stress to everyone. Only one ballot per F number. Each ballot will be recorded and any duplication will be thrown out. Therefore to make sure your VOTE counts only vote once.

At our our rally this past weekend I printed 30 ballots and a envelope addressed to firm. I am not sure how many of our member voted but after I sealed the envelope there were 19 blank ballots left.

Herman 

We also discussed it at our rally last week, handed out ballots to every attendee gave all the ballot, an envelope that they could use to mail their ballot in separately, and gave choice to mail in collectively... . 30 - 35 voted , folded their ballot,  put in common manilla envelope, sealed it,  and we mailed it Monday... . also covering in our Fall Membership Newsletter for all to VOTE !

Dp26, also check out FMCA Energized,either on this forum or on Facebook.  This is geared toward members that are under 60.

Chris G.

F3508s

6 hours ago, manholt said:

It's about time we put the welcome mat out. :):rolleyes:

Don't you think that FMCA has always had the welcome mat out to fellow Motor Home owners?

15 hours ago, Hermanmullins said:

dp26,

I may be reading your message wrong about reprinting your ballot. But let me stress to everyone. Only one ballot per F number. Each ballot will be recorded and any duplication will be thrown out. Therefore to make sure your VOTE counts only vote once.

At our our rally this past weekend I printed 30 ballots and a envelope addressed to firm. I am not sure how many of our member voted but after I sealed the envelope there were 19 blank ballots left.

Herman 

Had not mailed yet, so I printed again. One ballot sent only, one in the round file.

2 hours ago, BillAdams said:

Don't you think that FMCA has always had the welcome mat out to fellow Motor Home owners?

Can only speak for me. Joined 4.2016. IIRC, got welcome emails from national. Got welcome info from Western area. And follow up info from Western area including invite to Indio. Have not received anything from a chapter, and have not yet found one which seems like a decent fit, to reach out too. I was thinking or maybe expecting the chapters had access to new members, and solicited any who are in their area. But, given what I found when searching chapters (stale or no web site), I suspect few are actively seeking new members, at least in my area.

Not knocking local chapters, everyone has lives, and if their group is running smooth as is, adding more volunteer work is not top on the list. Sure, it would be great if every local has someone checking for a new member once a week, but not realistic.

I am waiting out the vote to see how I want to proceed.

When a coach joins FMCA the membership office sends out a notice to all Chapter in the Area where the new member resides. I can't speak for other Chapter but in Lone Star our Secretary immediately send a letter and an email to the new member. We have had a number them come and join Lone Star.

We feel it works for us.

Herman 

2 hours ago, jeff753 said:

Napa?  Sounds like a good place for an ENERGIZED Gathering!

The Napa (City) Fairgrounds is about a 2 minute walk for me, but to stay there, I would have to get some sort of exemption since they do not allow locals!

On September 15, 2017 at 7:48 AM, WhiteEagle said:

We also discussed it at our rally last week, handed out ballots to every attendee gave all the ballot, an envelope that they could use to mail their ballot in separately, and gave choice to mail in collectively... . 30 - 35 voted , folded their ballot,  put in common manilla envelope, sealed it,  and we mailed it Monday... . also covering in our Fall Membership Newsletter for all to VOTE !

So at first I thought this was a done deal.  Then I noticed quite a few no votes and negative support on social media so I thought it might be closer.  But you raise another angle.   Chapters will drive the vote as they gather and mail in bulk. 

Most chapters will carry Charlie's message of if we don't do this we will go under. So I now believe it will pass overwhelmingly.  

There is a large (66%) population that do not belong to chapters but those that do will dominate the vote. 

What was the feeling at your chapter meeting?  For or against?

The message  basically is that if we don't let towables into FMCA, the organization will fold. This is simply not true. Everyone keeps talking about "towables". The fact is the proper wording is "recreation vehicles". I know there is some wording about wheeled, self contained, sleeping area, etc as being the accepted definition of a "recreation vehicle" however those words do not appear anywhere in the proposed document changes. Therefore, someone with a seadoo, boat, or motorcycle could challenge the association in court for being denied membership.

Another thing to consider is your chapter. You determine who can join or not. Lets say that your chapter declines membership to a "towable". Could your club be left on the hook for discrimination?  Very possible.

My chapter is brand specific along with a few others so if we don't allow a "towable" because they are not covered in our bylaws, are we also on the hook for  possible legal action by a disgruntled person?

Also, has anyone put any thought as to the cost of implementing the new paperwork? NO

I joined FMCA because it is a motor coach association.  If FMCA approves towables, then I see no reason to renew my membership.  Another thought, Family Motor Coaching Magazine tends to review higher end motorhomes.  If it would spend more pages on entry level to mid-level coaches maybe more would be interested in being members. Also, I believe, since it an association and we are the members, then why do we not know what the line item expenses and salaries are.  They could be posted as a downloadable file on the web site.  It should be reported much like a school district as to public report annually this information.

Of course the measure will pass.  The fix has been in from the beginning.  Only a VERY tiny number of FMCA members are on this forum, most will ignore the ballot in the magazine (I wish I at least received a magazine for all my years of membership!), many will say Yes because that's what they heard they should do and a few will do the right thing and vote no.  In the end, this will very quickly become Good Sam II.