Sign in to follow this  
aztec7fan

Wow, FMCA didn't make the top 5?

Yes, that could be one opinion.  What were the criteria?  The article says, "By far the most important criteria for selecting an RV club is the cost savings possibility."  Given that criteria, Passport America which isn't really an RV Club by my standard qualifies here.  I'm guessing that many of the "savings" programs that FMCA has were not considered.  There are so many and they are very specialized, discounts for tires, roadside service, etc., they were simply too many and too varied for them to consider easily.  Some of our benefits save money but they are hard to evaluate, Stopping Spots, FMCA Assist, FMCA Forum, so many more.  So if your criteria is saving money, this is their list.  

Looks like whoever wrote the article didn't do their homework. To quote from the Good Sam "Club"

" Membership includes RV assistance such as emergency towing services for all of your vehicles including cars. This can help reduce your car maintenance costs as well. It also provides full coverage RV insurance for the RV and your assets when you are travelling. Plus, the club provides an extended service plan that enables a member to continue with their vacation if the RV breaks down. With all of these benefits, an RV owner should consider this the first club to join. "

GS does not provide RV assistance with their 20 buck membership, you have to pay extra for it. GS does not provide insurance coverage, you pay dearly for it. They do not provide for an extended service plan unless you pay for it.

In reading the blurb, it sounds like you get all this stuff for the cost of membership. There is no "club" about GS. They are a for profit organization and the "members" have zero say as to the operation of the "club"

Most of these "Top XX (input topic here)" sites are nothing more than shills for companies paying for some advertising.

4 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

Don, you also missed the statement "over one million members" :lol:

Herman

Herman, I didn't miss it, just another fairy tale from old Marcus

You all seem to be missing the point of the original article: "By far the most important criteria for selecting an RV club is the cost savings possibility. There are many RV clubs that offer discounts on various camping grounds."

Their apparent sole criterion for inclusion is the level of discounted campgrounds offered. Under that scenario, FMCA doesn't rank anywhere near Good Sam or Passport America.

What we DO offer, instead, are such INCLUDED benefits as FMCA Assist and the Michelin & Continental tire programs. Good Sam charges for its various insurance services; your membership merely allows you to APPLY for those goodies. (Non-members are automatically charged the GS club membership fees.)

So, I wouldn't get my knickers in a twist over this article.

" So, I wouldn't get my knickers in a twist over this article. "

No knickers twisted here. It just gets me that people call Good Sam a "club". There is zero club about it. Those that belong have nothing to say about how GS is run. None of those listed allow their "members" to have anything to say about how the organizations are run.

FMCA on the other hand is not a club of any kind.

"knickers in a twist".  Last I heard that expression, was some English fellows, who was playing the "Old Course" at St. Andrews in 2016.  Foursome ahead of us! :P