wildebill308

Difference In Ride-- Load Range G vs H

I don't want to sound flippant but the load you will be carrying would determine the type of load range tire you should use.  If you are trying to increase your carrying capacity by increasing the load range you are likely going to over load the axle and be sitting on a ticking time bomb.

3 hours ago, BillAdams said:

I don't want to sound flippant but the load you will be carrying would determine the type of load range tire you should use.  If you are trying to increase your carrying capacity by increasing the load range you are likely going to over load the axle and be sitting on a ticking time bomb.

I would never want you to stop being you.:D 

The issue is availability of tires in load range G, I can get them in load range H. Just wondering how much stiffer/harsher they would be.

Bill 

Not much difference. The factory rep for tires I wanted to buy, recommended that I jump two letters to be safe from G to J. I don't think they made I. 

I think if you use tire manufacturer's load chart for tire inflation for the actual weight on either tire, would not make enough difference in the ride that it will really matter.

Well we will see I just had them order 2 load range H for the front. Will be having them installed Friday. I will up date my experiences later. 

Bill

Despite the jab in the ribs above, I would like to know what you find.  Keep us up-to-date.

WBill.  In 2014, I changed my front 295's, H to 315 J.  I feel mine is softer, no change in weight +/- ! :)

rhinderber, what coach you got?  If your running in the high 70's and it's not a Prevost, I don't want to be anywhere near you! :P:wacko:

1 hour ago, rhinderber said:

Is the letter designation a speed rating my tires are 123/125 weight m rated 81 mph J 62 mph am I mistaken

Load Range in large RV tires is a letter F, G, H, J

Speed rating in RV application is 75 mph  which is Symbol "L"

Read all the words associated with various letter symbols.

Tires on my SRT-6 were Z rated 149 mph rarely over 130 MH slow 55-62.3 if you run high 70s you need P or Q rating

I have only heard of one large RV tire with a rating higher than L and as I recall it was an M (81)

I strongly suggest you stay below 70 mph unless you also run 200 RPM above your engine red line a lot.

You are the tire expert is it considered good practice to travel at 70 mph for long periods on "L" rated tires

One of the problems is if you are towing a toad it may have speed restrictions. My CR-V is it is limited to 65 mph when being towed.

Are you clear now on the different letter codes? One is weight and the other is speed. I don't know of a 22.5 tire rated over 75 mph.:)

What size tires do you run?

Bill

Nice looking Trek.  I would not run it over 65, unless I was passing someone!  To me, it's the journey, not how fast I can get to the destination! :P:)

Nice coach, You should add it and some other info to your signature. I looked up on the Michelin site and the XRV in 19.5 is speed rated at 75 mph. By the way do you know about the date codes and the general rule of only keeping tires 7 years?

Bill

Bill, 5 to 7 years, depending on condition of side walls and the type/condition of roads you mostly travel on! :P:rolleyes:

Well I went to Cowser Tire & Service 1700 NE LOOP 820, FW Texas and had the 2 front tires installed for $1096.16 basically saved $388.24 over the retail price on 2 each 275/80R22.5 HSLS ECO PLUS Continental's.

Every thing went smoothly until I headed home. about 8 miles west on 820 I heard such a clatter and pulled over to see what was the matter. Well one of my 5 year old inside duels had thrown a bunch of tread. So I drove slowly back to Cowser. They ordered 4 more tires but they won't be in till Monday. They were nice enough to install a "loaner" tire of the right size (NO CHARGE) so I could go home and back Monday. So the saga continues.:P

Bill20170811_160411.thumb.jpg.39c27ee3416b134d447798b816ff21e8.jpg

It still has lots of tread in some places.:lol::lol::P

Bill

Bill.  Wow, be glad it was not on front or outside dual....I guess you had no damage?  Be sure to check your lines under coach and around engine!

Best advice I can give about driving speed is to think of the speed rating of tires as you would would think about engine red line. While it may be possible to run just under the max speed rating of a tire you will most likely see shorter tire life.

Is it good to run for hours on end at 93% of engine Redline?

I read a lot of questions or complaints about tires not lasting as long as the owner wants but I don't hear anyone acknowledging that they made the decision to run near the limit for load and speed.

No I can't tell you that every hour at 70 cuts the life of your tires by a day or a week out of the possible 10 year life but I am certain it will have some negative affect.

12 hours ago, manholt said:

Bill.  I meant it could have happened to a front on the way over!  Was the other tire a re tread?

The tire that failed wasn't a retread. Yes you would have thought the older tire on the front to have problems.

Bill

Bill, the tire with good tread in places, brand and age please.

When I put my Bounder up for sale, the first looker walked around and felt the tread on every tire and commented they had lots of life left in them. He never checked a date code because if he had he would have noticed they are almost 6 years old. He didn't buy it and thankfully the eventual buyer never made any comment about the tires so I didn't feel obligated to tell him they would all need to be replaced soon.