tlud820@gmail.com

RV Resort Near Ford Museum In Michigan

Question

6 answers to this question

Hi Teri,

Welcome to the forum. There are no rv parks near Dearborn Mi. You will have 1/2 hour drive. Several state campgrounds to consider and a few private places. Frankenmuth has several private parks in the area. It might be easier to stay in Frankenmuth area and drive your toad to Dearborn, safer also. The Ford museum is a great day trip and from Frankenmuth the thumb of Michigan is an easy drive to explore.

Roland

There's Detroit Greenfield in Ypsilanti, fairly close to the Ford Museum in Dearborn. It's a small campground rather than a resort, but it might take your Tiffin.

But, the one you might be thinking of is Harbortown RV Resort in Monroe, MI. Monroe is about 20 mi. southwest of Dearborn on I-75, and is located on Lake Erie. It's also the home of Laz-Y-Boy recliners, but we don't know if they're still offering factory tours. (It's been 5 years since we left Detroit.)

Enjoy your trip, and make sure you get the chicken dinner in Frankenmuth!

Looking for campgrounds?  Check RVParkReviews.  Put in the state and the community or a nearby community and get listings of parks and reviews from people who have stayed there.  We use that and also the AllStays Camp and RV app on our smart phone/pad.

My recommendation would be to look at Windsor in Ontario, Canada if you are willing to cross the border in your motor home.  We stayed in a nice park on the east side of town, I can't remember the name but found it on AllStays, Windsor Campground Inc., 4855 Concession 9, Windsor.  It is just off the 401 (freeway) near the airport.  Crossing the Ambassador Bridge, you are on Canadian Hwy 3 which runs right into the 401.  You would need to go through customs going into Canada and when returning to the US.  The area around Windsor is beautiful.  The area was settled by many loyalists during the American Revolution and their English gardens and landscaping show that heritage.  If you go south from there you can visit Point Pelee, the southernmost point in Canada.  And as an added bonus, crossing from Detroit into Windsor you will be driving south into Canada.  While in Ontario, you might enjoy visiting the towns of London, Cambridge, and Stratford.  Stratford is on the Avon River and they have a Shakespeare festival.  We enjoyed walking along the park along the Avon River and saw several swan nests, with hatchlings that actually all left the nest in a parade to the water and then swam away. 

We visited the Ford Museum the end of April and stayed at Wm C Sterling State Park in Monroe, Michigan.  This is an easy 20-30 minute or so drive from the Museum and was the perfect place for a large motorhome.  It is right on Lake Erie and many of the sites are FHU.  You can reserve your site online and they have photos of the sites so you can see what amenities are at each site.  In Frankenmuth we stayed at Frankenmuth Jellystone.  It was pretty empty when we were there, so we had plenty of room, but I imagine during peak camping times it could be pretty crowded.  I don't think there was much else around there and it was right in town, so it definitely worked for us.  By the way, we camp in a 40' Winnebago Vectra.

Sandy from Mobile, Alabama