How often do you think about trading in your old motor home for a new model?    10 years?    100,000 miles,  150,000 miles? 

And,  do you sell your motor home privately?  Or just trade it in for a new or late model?  

I recently purchased a five year old motor home, a 2012 Roadtrek and plan to keep it at least five years and then re-evaluate where we are. 

Please share your experiences.   

Suspect at least as many re-evaluate their needs as necessarily "upgrade" to newer.

So, downsizing, upsizing to go full timing, etc probably play quite a large part of the changing motorhome process.

In 1997 we bought a 1992. In 2001 we traded it in on a 1999. In 2008 we traded the 1999 in on a 2006 which we still have. This 2006 has 91k miles and the other two were above 135 k miles. 

In the last 42 years of motor homing I had about 10 coaches.  I buy low and sell high. I have made money on some of them.  On my last motorhome I sold for almost 3 times book, used it for 17 years and 145k miles and bought my current one for 1/2 book.  Modifying and up grading is a hobby of mine as I retired from the rv service industry in 1999. 

58 minutes ago, desertdeals69 said:

In the last 42 years of motor homing I had about 10 coaches.  I buy low and sell high. I have made money on some of them.  On my last motorhome I sold for almost 3 times book, used it for 17 years and 145k miles and bought my current one for 1/2 book.  Modifying and up grading is a hobby of mine as I retired from the rv service industry in 1999. 

Interesting, how do you "buy low and sell high"....do you purchase these at wholesale prices?  Auction? Outfit them with upgrades??

You mean "desperate sellers"....?    People who buy them new and in a few years have "buyers remorse"....

I suppose you focus on three to five maybe six years old coaches? Ones in good condition? 

desertdeals69- 

"Modifying and up grading is a hobby of mine as I retired from the rv service industry in 1999."

Question-. What's the most significant upgrade?? Or upgrades? 

Probably an engine and trans swap and converting from steel springs to air ride, going from 19.5 wheels to 22.5 wheels and 15 in brake drums.  Also I've done a independent front suspension from a solid front axle.

DD.  Interesting hobby you have!  :)

Mine is collecting old, high end watches...every 2 years now, I sell one.  Mostly to Christy's Auction House...supplements Social Security entitlement. ^_^:lol:  

My old wore out coach is now showing 2,252,338 miles currently, hoping it will last as long as me. Like DD69, it's a hobby, I'm not in to make money, just for fun. First MH when purchased was a fixer upper, that I completely refurbished the inside, second was a delaminating sportscoach, completely reskinned her outside and in, plus roof rebuild, she has a Cummings bt6c with Allison ht740 trans. Have converted two complete busses, and now working on my first schoolie.