Brett, you wrote...

"You ask where they are.  The FMCA Road Trek Chapter has 2500 members, so clearly there are a number of Class B owners active in FMCA:"

interesting... 

2,500 members, that's a lot of people.... Aside from my posts, and someone from January who had a fire breakout in his Roadtrek 210 resulting in a total loss... I have not seen or heard from anyone... they're just not contributing to any of these recent discussions.... even when I asked Class B's specifically for their input..

This post tried to get input from Class B owners.  I sure got a lot of remarks from Class A folks... 

I have to scroll back several years to find any active threads... nothing real recent.. 

17 hours ago, MWeiner said:

I hope you realize that I posted this question under the Class B forum? 

For your information, we are planning on traveling through the entire USA and Alaska with our Class B..  we don't have any problem leaving a complete set of clothes that we leave in our rig 24/7... 

And, we go everywhere a Class A or C goes, maybe more places a really big rig can't even get into! 

And, because we're getting the higher MPG, it's LESS of an issue to make a long distance trip or go virtually anywhere. It's much more liberating, no excuses not to go. 

Boondocking is easier, we blend into parking lots and look more stealth than either a Class A or C... 

We have a small teardrop trailer....now, that's a little more challenging to travel during inclement weather and packing that up is a PITA.. the conversion van is very easy... 

Yes, I realize this is a Class B forum...what does that have to do with anything?  I believe you've made posts on the Class A forum.  

You need to lighten up, don't be so sensitive and defensive...you have a Class B you love, fine, we are on RV number six, and have had several smaller rigs, I don't want a class B...guess that makes us both happy.  You're happy and proud of your MPG, great, I'm happy for you, but I can go farther on a tank of fuel than you can.:)  I do monitor and keep a log of my fuel usage, but the bottom line is I don't really care what it is, it's the cost of doing what we like to do.

I do not have a "B", but I have helped several of our chapter members move from an "A" to a "B". Their primary reason for the move was to get a smaller more manageable coach as the still like the lifestyle, but cannot handle the cost of an "A" and are not traveling enough to warrant the cost. 

I do read the posts on the "B" Forum, but many times I do not have the experience to answer the post. 

1 hour ago, FIVE said:

Yes, I realize this is a Class B forum...what does that have to do with anything?  I believe you've made posts on the Class A forum.  

You need to lighten up, don't be so sensitive and defensive...you have a Class B you love, fine, we are on RV number six, and have had several smaller rigs, I don't want a class B...guess that makes us both happy.  You're happy and proud of your MPG, great, I'm happy for you, but I can go farther on a tank of fuel than you can.:)  I do monitor and keep a log of my fuel usage, but the bottom line is I don't really care what it is, it's the cost of doing what we like to do.

Well, thanks for clarifying that.... I certainly appreciate your liking the Class A ... they're beautiful...we looked at all of them when we went shopping...I can see advantages to every class...

It's just that we wanted to have a greater deal of mobility at a lower fuel consumption, smaller rig also means less expensive tires, brakes, suspension parts, the list goes on..... 

Yes, cruising range... I get that... Some of the Class A's have 100 gallons of fuel... I only have 25 gallons of fuel...  I can get around  400 miles per tank comfortably before worrying about running too low... But, to be really safe 350 to 375 depending on how much hill climbing etc.  

When someone says...I shouldn't be doing this..and in the wrong hobby... yes, that's a little offensive.. I don't tell Class A owners they shouldn't be driving their rigs, although I have said that they pay a lot more for fuel, which is true... Just the facts. It's all business.... No personal agendas here, your choice.  In Europe, people rarely drive Class A motor homes because the roads are narrower and the price of fuel is so much higher there.

We can and do get out to all the places a Class A can go... maybe places that are too large for a Class A.. 

Is it a little more camped, sure it is... Does it work?  YES, everyone's different , we do spend time outside and inside... Time to fold things up.... I suppose you are right... but, how much time does it take to put two chairs, a mat and maybe a small table in the back. And put the awning up.... Not a lot of time.... especially compared to my teardrop trailer which is very labor intensive and takes an hour or more... Listen, the teardrop is very cute and we took it out on more than a dozen trips, but, there's a lot more work...see picture... 

We still have the teardrop... But, the Class B is so much easier ...

And, yes, I have posted on the Class A forum.... too bad I'm apparently the only active Class B owner out there reading and responding to questions on the FMCA.

IMG_20160326_104335.jpg

1 hour ago, rossboyer said:

I do not have a "B", but I have helped several of our chapter members move from an "A" to a "B". Their primary reason for the move was to get a smaller more manageable coach as the still like the lifestyle, but cannot handle the cost of an "A" and are not traveling enough to warrant the cost. 

I do read the posts on the "B" Forum, but many times I do not have the experience to answer the post. 

Hi Ross, 

Glad to hear that you have helped people "right size" to the rig they wanted...

I started thinking...how many places I wouldn't be able to go based upon size of rigs, restrictions at National Parks, fuel costs, ease of parking, maintenance and repair etc and I kept coming back to the Class B.... 

Plus,  it's hard not to find a well built Class B....and out Roadtrek RS Adventurous is close to the top of the line Roadtrek model.   There's a lot of cheaply made Class A's in the price range I paid it the 5 years old Roadtrek..

Question.... aside from my posts... how many and how long ago did you see any posts see from other Class B owners recently?? 

Actually, we love to take long road trips... planning one across the United States this fall.. about 7,500 miles ... I'd rather do that at 18 MPG rather than 5 MPG.. 

We could even stop at a hotel a couple of times and still save money.. considering the fuel economy difference... AND, we go everywhere with the Class B..no tow car necessary..

I hope you enjoy your rig as much as we do.... we're not letting it sit around in the driveway ...the more we use it and go out, the lower the costs per trips overall... 

Mark, there are many reasons, why I have had Class A's since 1967!  There is only one reason why I don't have a B or a regular C....I'm 6 foot 8 inches tall and at 74+, I refuse to stoop over! :P

52 minutes ago, manholt said:

Mark, there are many reasons, why I have had Class A's since 1967!  There is only one reason why I don't have a B or a regular C....I'm 6 foot 8 inches tall and at 74+, I refuse to stoop over! :P

Carl fills in for Big Tex at the State Fair of Texas. You should see him in his 10 gallon hat and boots.:o^_^:P

Bill

We moved up from a Class C to an A...why ROOM and comfort. Our first big trip in the C was when gas was $4.50 per gallon. I do not remember what I paid for gas all the way to California and back to PA, I remember how much fun we all had as a family, sight seeing, Grand Canyon Railway adventure and so many other places we visited that trip. Hands down one of the best family vacations and the memories were priceless.

My point....cross country in a coach that on a good day might have got 7.5mpg, I remember my kids faces and experiences and family fun, we still laugh about the stories on that trip, sit back and smile. I do not remember how much we spent of fuel nor do I care. I could care less about MPG and depreciation on the coach as long as its performing properly (that is the only reason I track MPG), its all about the memories and time with family and friends. I didn't purchase either coach with the intention of selling it anytime soon or profiting from it. The intention was to run them into the ground and enjoy life.

We are a close family but I don't want to be on top of my wife and kids all the time, we need space to stretch out and get comfortable, we also want amenities, especially for the long times we spend on the road. They enjoy relaxing, playing games or maybe sitting back in a recliner reading a book, me sitting behind the wheel in my big comfy chair with room to move while navigating the road, couldn't do that in the C, even at 5'8" I was pinned down, the only time I could move around was while refueling. I love our large kitchen and refrigerator, makes the trip much more comfortable.  

I don't have "deep pockets" we travel for memories and experiences. DW always says, when the kids grow up and move out we can increase our savings then, now its time to make memories.

If I wanted to travel more cost effective, Id be in the family car and stopping at motels, unfortunately that doesn't yield the same effects as traveling in a RV nor does it give the frequency of trips that you can do in a RV. A class B for us wouldn't work, the only advantage over the DW's jeep would be a bed behind us. With that being said it works for may other people and that's great, just doesn't fit into our lifestyle, thus the reason for pop-ups, Million dollar coaches and everything in between.

My wife and I have a  Roadtrek on order but we were, at one time, living full time in a new 45' diesel pusher.  That thing had everything our former home had.  Fuel costs were not an issue because we went from one stop to another and spent at least two weeks there.  Our toad got over 40 miles to the gallon.  When we decided to go back to a brick and sticks home we sold the big rig, but the RV style of travel never left us.  We have friends that travel in a B class RV and love it.   The freedom to go almost anywhere was very intriguing to us. 

After the research we settled on the CS Adventurous XL 4x4.  We live in Utah and a very large part of the state is in BLM land thus the 4x4.  While the fuel economy will be nice, it was not the primary consideration in our decision.  Freedom is very much the primary consideration.

Our 35-foot coach gets around 7-8 mpg. Fuel economy was not on our list of concerns.

#1 concern was safety.

#2 concern was having a vehicle which would fit where we needed it to go and which would get in/out of our driveway.

#3 concern was getting something which fit our desire to have an older and more unique vehicle.

Fuel Economy?

Class A.  Gas or DP, economics was never, nor is it now, part of the equation! 

It was back 50 years ago and still now:  Comfort, Safety and the ability to sleep anywhere, at any time and see the whole USA and Canada!  Nothing against Class C or B, just never felt comfortable in one...

I am also a two time Roadtrek Owner. A 190 and now a 210. If all the posts on the Class B forum are as judgmental and cantankerous as this, I will be another one who never posts. With that said It would be nice if there was an active class B forum, where non class B owners would refrain from commenting unless it was a positive addition to the topic. 

Synde.  Welcome!

Judgmental?  I'm lost.  Is that based on the fact that I'm too tall for a 190 or a 210?  Or because I don't agree?  I know a lot of folks who have a class B as a Toad, because due to height or weight or age or handicap, a "B" is more comfortable to drive around.  Yes, it's towed by a 40-45 foot Class A or C...when you spend 6 to 8 months a year in a coach, you don't need "Cabin Fever"!  As I stated above, I'm 6 foot 8 inches and 74 years old.  How much time do you camp in a B?

I hope you don't have the Mercedes Benz diesel.  They have withdrawn from the American market and will not honor the warranty....it has to do with the B5-20 that is added to the diesel here!  They don't use it in Europe.  Sorry.

Happy travels and have a healthy New Year  

On 12/29/2017 at 8:16 PM, Synde said:

I am also a two time Roadtrek Owner. A 190 and now a 210. If all the posts on the Class B forum are as judgmental and cantankerous as this, I will be another one who never posts. With that said It would be nice if there was an active class B forum, where non class B owners would refrain from commenting unless it was a positive addition to the topic. 

Synde,  ditto....I agree 100 percent with what you stated above....I'm done with the forum, when my membership is up, I'm out of here....

Between people making disparaging remarks about us wanting better fuel economy, "lack of space and comfort", and" we're in the wrong hobby". 

There's probably many people out there who quite possibly cannot  afford to drive extremely long distances and wind up driving maybe 1,000 to 2,500 miles per year and parking for six months at a time and living in their "mobile home" RV....along with others spending $15,000 per year on coach payments and fuel plus maintenance... 

The whole reason for owning a Class B is the freedom to take spontaneous trips, travel extremely long distances without high fuel consumption... We we're quite comfortable, the space we didn't have inside, we had all the space we needed outside.. 

I just returned from an 11,000 miles tour throughout the United States and saw a lot of stuff and had a great time.....18 to 20 MPG the whole way...  That my friends is less than $1,800 in fuel.... 

Over time,  fuel economy is the most expensive thing you spend on any vehicle..and the nimble Roadtrek is perfect for driving everywhere and can enter any national park, shopping center or restaurant...   SO, enjoy your Roadtrek ...and don't let anyone tell you that you have "cabin fever"...how dismissive...

We're NOT full timers...live in a house and enjoy the benefits of travel whenever we can....The Roadtrek is perfect for us... 

As a point of information,  the Mercedes Benz Sprinter is used in fleet and commercial operations in  North America by large companies like Federal Express.

There's no active Class B discussion on the forum because of the negativity expressed by the Class A owners... and their diesel pushing behemoths...

Sorry, but, that's my perspective so far.... very sad... 

Synde, Happy New Year to you and enjoy your Roadtrek travels.

--MARK

Mark.

Welcome back and Happy New Year!

MB has pulled it's Diesel engine (on any chassis, including cars) off the American market, because we use Bio in our diesel mix.  MB engine's (diesel) are not built for additive's, it causes their turbo to blow!  They also (read the fine print) will not honor the warranty on a diesel engine failure, that has bio in fuel.  IMHO I don't agree with their decision, I feel that they should have known and adjusted for our market.

I did not say that she or you would have "Cabin Fever", I said that I would have it, due to my size!  Please Mark, there is nothing positive to be gained, by taking things out of context.

Whatever you have, to enjoy traveling in, is a matter of personal choice...that's what is so great about America, everyone can chose how they live, when and where they want to go, no restriction, no permission from the authorities...Freedom is the reason I adopted to live here, rather than where I was born! 

OK, this thread has more than run its course, so it is CLOSED.

Really hate to see threads degrade like this. 

Certainly room for many points of view-- the main one here is there is NO RV THAT MEETS EVERYONE'S NEEDS. That is why there are so many choices out there.

So, just because one is happy with their choice (whether A, B or C), there is no reason to post either questions likely to elicit negative responses about other's choices OR to post those negative responses.

TOLERANCE AND CIVILITY PLEASE.