elkhartjim

Good Sam vs FMCA Insurance Discount

I contacted my insurance provider this week to make a change to my policy. They asked the usual questions but this time they had a different question,"are you a member of any rving groups like Good Sam's?". I said yes and then asked about FMCA; they are not on our list but with you being a member of Good Sam we can provide a better rate. Another benefit from Good Sam's I was not aware of.  BTW, the insurance provider is The Hartford.

GS will check around and get the best deal for you.  Saved me $500/year on this year's policy.

4 hours ago, Elkhartjim said:

I contacted my insurance provider this week to make a change to my policy. They asked the usual questions but this time they had a different question,"are you a member of any rving groups like Good Sam's?". I said yes and then asked about FMCA; they are not on our list but with you being a member of Good Sam we can provide a better rate. Another benefit from Good Sam's I was not aware of.  BTW, the insurance provider is The Hartford.

Jim, be very careful with The Hartford...we had them as our insurance company on our cars... had one very minor incident... they were great fixing everything....then, later trippled our rates.... repairs were only about $1,200 ....we would have been better paying for the repairs ourselves....we dumped them... business decision.

I've been with them 8 years. Every year I have a friend that is an independent insurance agent check for best rates. He has not been able  to come close. As far as claims, they paid $10,000+ to replace my roof 4 years ago and never raised my rate. Repaired windshield chips on the motorhome 3 times and replaced the windshield on my wife's Lexus and no rate increase. When we moved from Montgomery County, TX to Comal County, TX, our rates when down substantially.

About 2 months ago, I received a call from my agent that my Nationwide coverage was going to cost more at renewal. My 1st RV policy, and I have other coverage (multi-discounts). The increase would take me from $1,826 to nearly $2,500.

Got busy and called GS, and received a quote for a bit over $1,550. Better coverage, more comprehensive. Decided to add personal liability coverage too, which was about $25 more than Nationwide, but tied together with the quote, all coverage was better, and at a savings of around $900!!!

Cheapest is not necessarily the best, there are a lot of factors that effect rate.  Size, value of coach, driving record, credit score, State, etc.

On 8/12/2017 at 1:26 PM, elkhartjim said:

I've been with them 8 years. Every year I have a friend that is an independent insurance agent check for best rates. He has not been able  to come close. As far as claims, they paid $10,000+ to replace my roof 4 years ago and never raised my rate. Repaired windshield chips on the motorhome 3 times and replaced the windshield on my wife's Lexus and no rate increase. When we moved from Montgomery County, TX to Comal County, TX, our rates when down substantially.

I live in canyon lake, can you tell me who you have insure your rig? Thanks Terry

Terry, he's with Hartford.  So, are a lot of my friends...I chose State Farm 2 years ago, low rates & they have a bank that will give me the type of loan on a new coach, that I want.

I got a quote from Good Sams. They gave me a rate from National General that was half of what I have been paying with Geico. The only difference that I can see is that Geico gave me a vacation rate instead of the full time rv rate. We have been full time for 4 yrs and should have been on the full time rate all the time. I wasn't aware that there was a difference in coverage between vacation and full time. Be sure to check your coverage whoever you are with.

On 8/12/2017 at 7:53 AM, elkhartjim said:

We have Good Sam and they wrote us up with National General. We have our house and cars with Hartford and they gave us pretty good rate for the new coach. But we have learned the hard way with Hartford....ya get what a pay for. We were underwritten through AARP and they saved us 600 a year. Last march we had over 80,000 damage to our home and Hartford has made our lives miserable.  Its now a year later and were still not settled.  I finally got the State Insurance Commission involved ...guess what? They are finally movin and shaken. I doubt we will go with them . Thinking National through FMCA pretty good quote. 

Hawk, Welcome to the Forum.

That is not unusual. Insurance quotes by different companies depend on many factors. Location, claims in a particular area, and first time quotes (lots of time your first year with an insurance company will be low then Up it goes the next). This is why it is good to shop each year or at least every two years.

I have shopped every year for the past 5 years and my current company has been good each time.

Again welcome.

Herman

Agree with that 100%!  It's a 2 year thing and so far, State Farm has won!  We bundled everything, including a 5 million umbrella!

I have found that I have to shop the insurance every two to three years.  The companies fee that the consumer will get lazy and not want to shop, so they bump the rates.  

What you are charged is based on many items, your driving record, your location, your credit score, if you have a recent driver safety course. and if you bundle.

So just shop.  What is good for your neighbor may not be the best for you.

Ken

Take another look at Progressive.  We have had it for years and in 2017 Hurricane Harvey totaled our 2008. Progressive policy said I would get what I paid for it and Progressive did pay me what I paid for it.  Well worth any money I had put into the insurance policy.

On 12/25/2020 at 11:11 AM, hermanmullins said:

Hawk, Welcome to the Forum.

That is not unusual. Insurance quotes by different companies depend on many factors. Location, claims in a particular area, and first time quotes (lots of time your first year with an insurance company will be low then Up it goes the next). This is why it is good to shop each year or at least every two years.

I have shopped every year for the past 5 years and my current company has been good each time.

Again welcome.

Herman

so what company are you with currently? We have Nationwide and they gave us a much better rate through FMCA but we have not had our renewal yet.

thanks

diane

On 8/12/2017 at 11:58 AM, MWeiner said:

Jim, be very careful with The Hartford...we had them as our insurance company on our cars... had one very minor incident... they were great fixing everything....then, later trippled our rates.... repairs were only about $1,200 ....we would have been better paying for the repairs ourselves....we dumped them... business decision.

Hartford is great for rates, but wait till you need them for coverage./we carried everything with Hartford... house, cars boat, MH.  Had an issue on the roof and it took a year to get the claim settled after having to go to the Insurance commission in our state. If you don't mind the aggrivation in poor coverage they're great!

On 12/25/2020 at 10:15 AM, HagerHawk said:

I got a quote for Progressive while shopping for my RV, then I found FMCA and it said they could save me money at Progressive, their quote was $500 more. 

We called FMCA and they found the best policy for us. Saved us loads of $$$ with better coverage. They quoted the best for us with Nationwide, we are from Montana and because of the many folks evading sales tax taking advantage of the LLC here the rates for MH is higher than other states.  So he told me, but everything else expensive here because we are so big a state with so few people.

Per a friend in Montana, your just a tad over one million good folks! 

We use State Farm and pay $487 a month.  That covers our Coach, 2013 Jeep Wrangler, 2014 Expedition, 2020 Jeep Gladiator and a Ford 250 Long bed p/u! $500k/$300k and $500 deductible!!  May not be the cheapest, but we have peace of mind & they want to keep us happy, we also have a ranch, camp, 8 rental houses & a Liquor Store thru them!

Diane,

We are with Texas Farm Bureau. We live in Grayson County, Texas. We have had several claims and their rates have increased less then 5% since we have been with them, 6 years. I am not sure if they cover outside of Texas.

Herman 

On 8/12/2017 at 12:43 PM, five said:

GS will check around and get the best deal for you.  Saved me $500/year on this year's policy.

We already have Geico and nobody could beat their price.