jhagen00

Awning Retracts When Water Heater Shuts Off

We've developed a strange electrical issue in our 2007 Tiffin Phaeton.

I noticed when the awning is extended and I turn off the electric water heater switch (since we're billed for electric), the awning retracts.  

We've had the RV 2 1/2 years and this just started.  Now I've noticed that when the water heater cycles on/off on its own, the awning also retracts.  

Some wiring worn through and shorting?  Both controls are in the same control display above the driver, so wires are all in the same general location. 

Jim,Welcome to the forum. I have to say that is one of the most unusual problems that I have heard about on the forum.:) Do you have a wiring diagram for that area/for your coach? With out hands on trouble shooting everything would be just a guess.

Have you tried running this by Tiffin? Who knows-- you might not be the only one to have this problem.

Bill 

Jim,

What brand and model of awning do you have?  Does it have a remote control?  Is it the only power awning you have? 

Jim.

There are 4 screws that attach the panel, take a look at the wires for the awning and check their location(how close the hot wire is to the water heater switch), thinking your right about the cover of the wire is exposing the copper.  We have a rolling earthquake and things move around over time! 

My Lady has a 2006 Phaethon 40 foot, I'll look at her electric schematic this morning.

Must be a new extra cost option offered by Tiffin....turn off the water heater and the awning retracts.:(

12 hours ago, TBUTLER said:

Jim,

What brand and model of awning do you have?  Does it have a remote control?  Is it the only power awning you have? 

Like WildeBill said - this is a new one for me also. LOL

Jim, kind of thinking along the same line as Tom. If you have a remotely operated awning, there is a possibility of a ground issue  at the 12 volt and control board edge connection.

The ignition circuit that generates the high voltage spark uses an oscillator circuit and if the frequency is close to the remove control frequency, what is known as a side-band frequency is interfering with the awning control module.

The quest things to check and clean are all the water heater control board edge connections(use a clean,soft pencil eraser) to buff the copper portion of the connection located on the water heater control module. Reconnect and cycle the water heater ! No Joy ? Then check all the other connection at the LP relay and the Green / yellow ground wire connections around the same area are also clean and tight. 

Should that not work, just disconnect that connector and retry by recycling the water heater again - no problem - then you have isolated the area of the interference and if you have never replaced the water heater control module - that would be the next item to try.

Let the group know what the results are.  

Rich.