peepafox

Air Disc Brakes PNs

I have a Monaco 2004 Windsor Coach. It is equiped with Air Brakes and the front axle brakes are disc type.

I had the caliper on the left front wheel start to drag and create excessive heat that caused the disc to get so hot that it looked like it had just come out of the foundry furnace. The drag was not sufficient to cause the steering wheel to pull to the left.

I had the coach pulled in to a large truck repair facility. They found that the left caliper was the fault.

Now the problem was to identify the PNs for new parts. That is normally done by the axle PN and SN. This was Dana on my coach so the Parts Manager called Dana with the Axle PN and SN and was told that the SN was not a Dana SN. Note: The PNs are not on the brake parts. On the caliper was the manufactor name (Spicer). In approxmitaly 2005 Dana, Spicer and Bendix formed an LCC with all brake parts to be supplied by Bendix with Bendix PNs.

Monaco did not have the brake items PNs, as they purchase a complete axle assembly from Dana and that contains the brake sub assemblies. They had supplied me with the axel PN and SN on my coach.

Below are the PNs for the normally needed brake items:

Caliper Bendix PN is K022919, Note: is reversible will work on left or right wheel.

Rotor Disc Webb PN is 59173B, Note: Webb will not sell the disc to anyone except Bendix.

Rotor Disc Bendix PN is 977699

Disc Pads Bendix PN is 328863, Two per kit one wheel only

Seal Chicago Rawhide PN CR35058

On edit, by Moderator: For those who might print/save this for their later reference, here are the axle identification numbers so others will know if these brake component part numbers are relevant for them (see Larry's post below). Still safest to contact your axle manufacturer with YOUR axle serial number to verify the correct parts for your axle. Brett Wolfe:

The axle PN and SN are located on it. It may take some cleaning to read them. The Part Number and SN on on my coach's front axle are as follows:

Dana

Axle PN E-1462W1462BN202-1

Axle SN HU00340643

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Thanks very much for posting the results of your research.

Hopefully, it will save another member a lot of research-- or at least give them a good beginning point once they verify what axle they have.

Brett

Thanks,

I have copied your information to my parts file. I hope not to need it but, hey you know, everything wears out eventually. I really appreciate your sharing this information with us.

Tom

Thanks,

I have copied your information to my parts file. I hope not to need it but, hey you know, everything wears out eventually. I really appreciate your sharing this information with us.

Tom

Tom:

I assume you have the same brakes. I have not seen that problem on any post so I guess the failure is rare. You do not want to know the cost. I replaced rotors and brake pads on both front wheels so I had a matching set. The lining on the old pads was above 80 % on both wheels and that was after the near fire on the left one. I just wanted all new on both wheels.

Cost was about $2500 for parts and $1500 labor.

We are now up and running and have put over 1200 miles and all is OK.

Cheers,

Larry

Larry,

If you will, please post the axle identification for which these part numbers apply (or at least how yours was identified)-- Model number, Serial number, etc.

That will allow other with the same axle to save the information, without having those with a different axle assume it is correct for their application.

Thanks.

Brett Wolfe

Larry,

I don't know that I have the same brakes as you but since we both have '04 Windsors, I'm betting that they could be the same. I'm also hoping that I never find out! I file the information away just in case the same problem occurs. At least I'll have some background information to start with. Any head start is appreciated when tackling these kinds of problems.

Larry,

If you will, please post the axle identification for which these part numbers apply (or at least how yours was identified)-- Model number, Serial number, etc.

That will allow other with the same axle to save the information, without having those with a different axle assume it is correct for their application.

Thanks.

Brett Wolfe

Brett:

The axle PN and SN are located on it. It may take some cleaning to read them. The Part Number and SN on on my coach's front axle are as follows:

Dana

Axel PN E-1462W1462BN202-1

Axel SN HU00340643

Larry