N2WKENDS

Clear Bra Removal

Hi ya'll,

We have a 2004 Class A with an existing clear bra...that is cracked and needs replacing. Does anyone know, if we were to do it ourselves, which products to use to take it off safely ( or should we even do this?). Is there a really good replacement product out there.

My husband does not want to have a black traditional bra for our unit. 

Thank you for helping,

Heather 

We have the same.  I'll get around to removing it some day.  For now, if you stand back about 20 feet you will hardly notice the cracks in the Diamond Shield.  For casual observers from a distance, they can't see it at all. 

I have had repairs done and a body shop will not take the patience to remove the Diamond Shield without simply sanding it off and repainting.  You could just have them do it, mine would need repainting anyway. 

I have a friend who has removed his Diamond Shield, also on a 2004 coach.  His finished job looks great.  It will be worth the effort either way.  Without some protection, there will be chips.  Even with it, my paint has chips.  Travel long enough and you will pick up some serious hit that will chip your paint.

I just removed a small section of diamond shield on my coach that had cracked and started to peel in places.  It was on a 45 degree surface that ran the entire width of the coach.  I used a high pressure washer and hit it from the side.  Most of it simply peeled away.  It did take the pain in some places, thus, I ended up sanding and painting.  Fortunately, a local auto parts store had the capability to color match a rattle can for me and it now looks great.  Total cost for the paint (primer, color and clear) was about $35.  Plenty in one can to cover a 6"x102" area.

Will I try to remove the rest of the diamond shield? - only if it gets real bad.

Lenp

Mine is in horrid shape with chips, cracks and bugs that I have not been able to remove...I will use a power washer next, now that I have one.  I checked with a shop and was quoted $3,200 to remove the shield and another $1,800 to re paint and 2 coats of clear.  There are some that sand and buff it off, then apply Rhino Armor and paint it to match coach, $4,500!

If the power washer don't do it, then I'll go with Rhino Armor.  

Carl,

The power washer can do more harm than good. I just had mine removed by Xtreme Graphics in Nacogdoches. I had visited with Jim several year ago and he told me "NO HEAT GUN", use steam. I tried using Bobbies small steamer and a Teflon spatula. I did a small area and it did OK. It took a long time and left the residue of the glue still on the surface. I tried several of the adhesive removers and was unsuccessful. It would have worked had it been on a flat surface where to solution could cover the spot but being a vertical surface it just ran off.:(

My solution was to scrape a retaining wall on the way to Chandler and damage the corner of the coach.:wub: 

When I took it to Xtreme Graphics They had to remove that area where the repair had to be done and told the insurance company that they had to remove the whole mess to match the repainted area. They agree, the removal was done and the reaming paint was buffed out and the front looks great. Only cost me my deductible.

I am not advocating going out and running into something bu what the heck it worked for me. :D

Herman

I'm don't understand why manufacturers are still installing this product. I just bought a Newmar with it and the care instructions for the Diamond Shield includes a lot of don't 's and very few do's.

Congrats on your new coach Jim!  That's the one that Linda want's...I want the 40', wonder if they do a 2 coach discount?:rolleyes: Without the DS?

Carl

I had the same problem with a diamond shield bra on my 2007 Fleetwood Providence. In my research I found that 3M Specialty Adhesive Remover Aerosol #38987, I used 8 cans, was recommended and also some plastic razor blades and handle all available from amazon. It is time consuming and a lot of elbow grease but the paint isn't scratched and I just keep a of wax on the front of the coach.

I just finished removing ours Saturday. I had 55 hours over 11 days and lots of patience.

I used a product I bought in Indy at the convention called Release adhesive and sealant

remover from RV by Life. I used 3 bottles of Release a plastic putty knife and a hair drier.

My film came off in small pieces as it was old and cracked. I had about $220.00 in product

for my removal. I had been quoted $1000.00 by one shop and $1800.00 at Indy with no

guarantee it would not harm the paint. Very happy with the finished job. 

IMAG0700.jpg

IMAG0680.jpg

Edited by cbayman

When I worked for a county fleet government I would have the best luck removing stripes, logos and shields by letting it sit in direct sun until hot to the touch.  Then I just peel leaving no residue and fresh looking paint showing underneath.   

The Diamond Shield comes with an owner's responsibility to keep it protected by periodic application of a UV protectant. Are there any owners here who can report how regular applications of UV protectant have helped? I for one am doing that routine with a product from Lamin-X, but the rig is only two years old.

When I had my last coach painted they wanted to sell me Diamond Shield for $1250.  I asked how much to repaint the front end and that was $825.  Since they gave me touch up paint of all the colors I passed on the DS.  When I sold that coach after 5 years and 45K miles, just minor touch up and it looked new.

I have found the best tool for avoiding stone chips is increasing your following distance. I would never put that stuff back on anything.

They do not tell you there is a life span and it should be removed and reinstalled. Most of us never do anything to it including me and I have installed dozens on Porsches and others including mine. I, now have to like all of you, deal with a mess. It is OK better than paying for a repaint...

b

A Detailer's secret per say: Use steam to remove the clear bra, i.e. laundry steamer or some type that will give you a concentrated amount of steam (flow) through a nozzle and the clear bra will come off easily. Then you can use a wax & grease remover such as 3M to get any residue off. Using steam (carefully) will not damage the underlying paint finish.

Same applies for removing window tint - when using steam it will come off as an entire sheet and not break/tear apart leaving one with numerous fragments/strips to peal away. just heat it with the steam at one of the edges and slowly start to work it back and off of the surface.

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 5:51 PM, N2WKENDS said:

Hi ya'll,

We have a 2004 Class A with an existing clear bra...that is cracked and needs replacing. Does anyone know, if we were to do it ourselves, which products to use to take it off safely ( or should we even do this?). Is there a really good replacement product out there.

My husband does not want to have a black traditional bra for our unit. 

Thank you for helping,

Heather 

Although this post is several months old, have you found a suitable method to remove the Diamond Shield.  I found a very easy method and removed the Diamond Shield off our 2006 Winnie Vectra.  If you are still interested, call the WIT club and ask for my phone number.  My WIT number is W153116. 

If you've truly found a good way to remove the DS, why don't you save a lot of phone calling and just tell us. Plus, I don't have a clue as to what WIT is or how to get their number.

Jim.  WIT = Winnebago Travel Club, if you have one you can join!  Personally I think he has a product to sell and is trolling!  There is no easy way, if there was, then folks would not go to Florida to have it removed by Professional's for $3,500 BIG ONES! :wacko::angry: 

If your to believe Rich, I'll give him $1,500 to bring on the steam and remove mine....I'll even go to his part of Cajun country! :P