wla7pca7

Entry Door on 2014 American Eagle

The entry door on my 2014 American Eagle will not open.  The door is not wedged.  It is free in the frame but will not release from the bolt the jaws wrap around.  In other words, the jaws do not release.

Any experience with this problem that may help me?

Thank you.

I know of one person that knows how to open the door. I have seen Charlie Adcock crawl in a window and open the door from the inside. You may be able to contact him to see what it takes.  If I remember there is a spring that breaks. 

His email was cadcock@fmca.

Herman 

It's a pneumatic door, just like the once on an airplane....inside the door at the handle, there is a slide bar that's attached to the spring.  When the spring breaks, you need to insert a screw driver into the jaws and twist...door will open!

I always leave one of my big horizontal windows, unlooked....replacing a screen is cheap, whole window?  Not !

5 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

I know of one person that knows how to open the door. I have seen Charlie Adcock crawl in a window and open the door from the inside. You may be able to contact him to see what it takes.  If I remember there is a spring that breaks. 

His email was cadcock@fmca.

Herman 

Well, Charlie and I now have something in common.  It was not easy but, ( it takes a younger, smaller, nimble body) I got my frame through the DS window and eventually got the door open.  All of the mechanisms was intact until I unhooked the horizontal arm from the outside handle and broke the clip.  Hopefully NAPA will have a clip.  After a lot of study ... A part of the problem is that the arms and pieces are not aligned, so every time the door is opened the parts are on somewhat of a bind.  Lots of lube helps.  The main problem is that there is a trigger release for the jaws that wrap around the horizontal pin.  (Somewhat like the trigger on a mouse trap).  There is a metal pin that hits that trigger ... ever so slightly.  And, I think that metal pin is worn, ever so slightly.  So, with slight wear and some slight katy whompis alignment, the metal pin has some difficulty engaging the trigger.  It now takes two (2) pulls on the handle to trip the trigger and release the jaws.  The metal pin and trigger are inside the main mechanics which I must completely remove from the door to inspect and adjust.  A little like taking the insides out of a clock.  I hesitate to remove the inner workings as I am not sure I would get the insides back together and properly aligned so the door will work.

So, I am going to look for a very small U clip that I hope will fit over the trigger thus improving the contact area for the metal pin. 

I think this would work properly IF, it was aligned and not on a bind.  So, I question the factory installation?

Advice is welcome.

wla7pca7.

Never thought I would say this, but I'm glad I have the lock, with the spring and not a pin! :P 

Mine was in a slight bind also...don't know where your at, but I took my coach to Texas Coachworks AKA Texas Custom Coach in Pipe Creek, Texas.  They adjusted the door and put in a heavier spring, have not had a problem in 3 years! :) 

I keep my locking systems lubed with graphite.