tojomi

Monaco Dash Air Gauges

I'm getting erratic gauge readings on a 2005 Monaco Signature. Sometimes one may read normal; one may read really low or really high. The next time, they may read just the opposite.  There is no consistent pattern.  These are electric powered gauges. The air system is building up fine.  Does anyone know how to fix the gauges?  Any help would be appreciated. 

Welcome to the forum. When was the last time you purged the air tanks, and dryer? May not be the culprit, but a good starting point.

9 hours ago, tojomi said:

I'm getting erratic gauge readings on a 2005 Monaco Signature. Sometimes one may read normal; one may read really low or really high. The next time, they may read just the opposite.  There is no consistent pattern.  These are electric powered gauges. The air system is building up fine.  Does anyone know how to fix the gauges?  Any help would be appreciated. 

tojomi, Welcome to the FMCA Forum !

Sounds like you have a VDC Unit that has a bad solder joint issue, not uncommon for this Module. The vacuum pressure gauges jump around !

Look at the PDF file and see if this module looks like a unit  - mounted in or around the engine compartment,

These modules can cost around $1000.00 new, but can be repaired in most cases with the right skill sets. Do not try if you do not have some good soldering skills. 

Rich.

vdcrepair.pdf

Thanks to everyone who has responded! Rich, I haven't had a chance to look for the VDC unit in my coach since reading this, but I noticed the article mentioned Freightliner chassis.  My 2005 Monaco Signature has a Roadmaster chassis.  Do you know if the Roadmaster chassis has this same type of VDC unit?  If so, would it be located in the same area?  Thanks again! 

1 hour ago, tojomi said:

Thanks to everyone who has responded! Rich, I haven't had a chance to look for the VDC unit in my coach since reading this, but I noticed the article mentioned Freightliner chassis.  My 2005 Monaco Signature has a Roadmaster chassis.  Do you know if the Roadmaster chassis has this same type of VDC unit?  If so, would it be located in the same area?  Thanks again! 

Got to admit that I.m not positive, but your discrimination of the issue sure sounds like it has the VDC unit? And yes it could be in the same area.

You might just give Monaco a call and ask, if the chassis is equipped with one and if not what would cause the same problem described in the information I posted.

Rich.

On 8/18/2017 at 9:12 PM, tojomi said:

Did you ever get your gauge issue resolved?  I have an '05 Executive and having intermittent air gauge issue with.  I'm not getting bad readings, it's just they either work or they don't and it can be just one of both.   Either one, or both, will be sitting on zero (sort of just quivering) or they'll be reading OK.  It's almost like it's cold weather related but that could just be a coincidence.  I've been told that there is a module tucked up behind the dash somewhere but I can't see anything, but then I'm not sure what it looks like or how big it is and things are really packed in there.  If you got your issue resolved what did you do to fix it?

Mike, are you located where it is cold?

The issue I mentioned earlier is common on the Freightliner Chassis, Your coach is built on a Roadmaster Chassis. They are not the same !

I asked if you are located in a cold area, because you could have an air dryer issue if it has not been serviced for 2 to 3 years or more. When the dryers need service problems like you described can pop up. 

You need a good operating air system in order for the air brakes work properly and the ride height system operates before driving the coach. 

You mentioned having good air pressure. With the gauges reading erratically. How do you know what the air pressures are for sure?

Rich. 

Mike, I was able to locate the Chassis manual for your model year Chassis. The information is well above most owners understanding, but a good chassis service shop should be able to perform the required work to get your system operating properly. You should be able to download a copy for reference.

2005_Signature__Chassis_Manual..pdf

I had a somewhat similar issue on my 2010 HR Endeavor 42 SKQ a couple years ago. The air gauge pressures would fluctuate. The issue worsened to the point where the low air warning would initiate, sounding the low air alarm. Even though the air supply tanks had full air pressure. Then suddenly the low air warning would stop sounding, and pressures would show normal. After several helpful suggestions from forum members. And checking every possible area for leaks. At one point I ordered and replaced the electric dash gauge. This still didn't correct the problem. The issue with mine ended up being the module above the gauges, that contains all of the warning lights. turn signals indicators high beam, etc. I also have the Roadmaster Chassis. This component is the control module for the air gauges, tachometer, basically all functions in the dash is processed thru this module. I hope this is helpful. This was a tuff issue to troubleshoot.  Since technical support appears to be non-existent from both Roadmaster & REV Group. Good luck.   

I'm glad you found your problem, 2010 was  iffy year...you apparently have the last "Roadmaster" chassis!  When Monaco filed for Bankruptcy in 2007, that was the end for your chassis, the BK was finalized in early 2010 and everything was sold to a holding group, who built HR on a different chassis and engine, first unit was late 2010.  That Group sold to Allied, who own's  REV.  

There is only one Manufacturer today, that still build and use the "Roadmaster" chassis...Newell, Miami, OK.  Before  Monaco acquired HR, Newell  got the chassis under Licence, from HR, same as Beaver!

Carl,

I can't find any reference that Newell is built on the Roadmaster chassis???

Looks more like the custom built chassis Foretravel did (also designed and built in house) until recently.