tireman9

Sulfur Smell From Hot Water Tank

Last year I was at campground in Goshen. Connected to their water. Didn't notice any issues but a few weeks later at W. Springfield I noticed a strong sulfur smell from hot water. At the time I thought the problem was from the Goshen water. Drained and flushed hot tank and problem went away.  or so I thought.

This year, as in the past, I filled tanks with water from home (good city water with no odor issues) Went to Indy and no issues. I did not drain hot or cold water  Did a test and both cold & hot three days ago and had no obvious odor.  Note I did not heat the water before the test.

This morning at CG in KY after hot water heater was on we get strong sulfur smell but only from hot water.

Heater is Atwood 6 gal.  I am using a "Hot-Rod" electric water heater. Have used this heater for years with no problems.

ALL water run into the RV goes through a Camco water filter.

Suggestions appreciated

Mr M. Have you placed  a vinegar solution in the tank and let it set for a 24 hr period? 

The real trick might be draining the tank out the drain plug - if that is where the electric Hot Rod is installed. Should that be the case you might need to remove the heating element, install a drain plug in place of the element for 24 hrs.  Put 4 gallons of vinegar in through the safety valve and top it off to the point where the mix starts draining out the hole.

Don't want to remove the hot shot - pull the safety valve and syphon out the water and the mix once it has set for 24 hrs.

I buy a case of 4 - 1 Gal. bottles from a bulk store like Sam,s Cosco . It is not all that expensive though so any food store should stock them.

Then drain the tank and flush out the tanks with a hose placed in the safety valve opening and run water until all the junk is out and just clear water is exacting the tank.

It is also a good time to get a look at the hot shot condition.

Good luck - Rich. 

1 hour ago, wayne77590 said:

Rich's solution could have two effects. Clean the smell - provide salad dressing.

Herman started it!

Thanks Wayne ! Never thought about it before, but when we clean the coffee pot next time, maybe I should save the mixture and use it to make salad dressing with the added minerals to supplement the diet ! LOL

Rich

I would use hydrogen peroxide.  Empty fresh water tank and fill hose and pour a pt of hp in the hose and then hook up to spigot and fill your tank with about 10 gallons.  Run your water pump with a hot water faucet open so as to fill the hot water heater.  Let it sit for and hour or two.  You won't have to flush so just go ahead and use the water system normally.

1 hour ago, desertdeals69 said:

I would use hydrogen peroxide.  Empty fresh water tank and fill hose and pour a pt of hp in the hose and then hook up to spigot and fill your tank with about 10 gallons.  Run your water pump with a hot water faucet open so as to fill the hot water heater.  Let it sit for and hour or two.  You won't have to flush so just go ahead and use the water system normally.

But then I would not get a needed ingredient for making a good salad dressing ?

Rich. 

Rich.  No!  You would get the benefit of gargling and brushing teeth!  Sweet breath..:lol:

Wayne...LOL

Your right, Herman is too blame! :P

2 hours ago, wolfe10 said:

What??? Is their a full moon???

No , but there is a Solar Eclipse in a few hrs.

Maybe the 2 of them together is having some effect on everyone !

Got to think everyone but Roger is having fun with it !!

Rich. 

OK guys. Thanks for the ideas and recipe for salad dressing.

We are in TN right now awaiting the Eclipse tomorrow. We should have 2:30 of totality (behind the clouds that are sure to blow in over-night).

Anyway I take it from the suggestions you feel that my flush didn't get rid of whatever is causing the sulfur smell.  Just drained the tank and found the Hot Rod has some crust on it (mineral residue.)  Fresh water from CG now in the hot tank so no smell so far but I know the tank still needs good cleaning with vinegar / Hydrogen perox. Wayne's link was actually helpful. Not sure if he intended that or if he wants to give answers more along the line of Herman's.

Seriously... The link gives the Vinegar/water proportion and I can do that. Will drain tank and clean the HotRod then add appropriate amount of Vinegar then fill tank from water at home.  Will also flush the lines with air as if winterizing while I am at it will be sure to drain holding tank too. (get as much potentially contaminated water out as possible.

Next time I won't be lazy but will drain water if not going out within a couple weeks.

Thanks to all   - Except Herman of course.

There you go!  Howell at the moon...:lol:

Brett.  Yes, there will be a full moon tonight....otherwise we could not have a total eclipse! :P:blink:

Rich.  Rogers problem has been fixed...Salad Dressing or Oral Hygiene!:rolleyes:

If he turns it up will he have hot salad dressing?   

Herman started this

1 hour ago, IanBullock said:

What temperature is your hot water tank set at?

If not max, turn it up.  Your problem will be solved. 

Hot spinach salad, with oil/vinegar/bacon/hardboiled egg dressing!  Sorry, the Devil and Herman made me do it. :lol:

Roland.  Been to much trailers on the brain!  Our way of letting off a little steam...feel free to get put in time out, with the rest of us! :lol:

I also use the vinegar cleaning of the hot water tank also, not quiet as aggressive as Rich, I use one gallon to four water. Dipping a dish cloth in vinegar and using it to clean the inside of the faucet will really improve the taste of water being dispensed through it as well.

Kay. Great idea, after rinsing the lettuce, add EVOO and a dusting of garlic...instant salad.  I think the MOON just came out, I'm at 7,300 feet in NM. LOL

Full moon, eclipse and most of you are at high altitudes, explains it all :lol: this is why I love you guys.

Roger, I had the same HW heater as you on the last coach, one thing I noticed when I removed it, (replaced the entire unit with a tank less) you can never actually drain the tank completely, the plug on the tank is actually a few inches up the side wall, not much but just enough for minerals to collect in the bottom.

16 hours ago, tireman9 said:

OK guys. Thanks for the ideas and recipe for salad dressing.

We are in TN right now awaiting the Eclipse tomorrow. We should have 2:30 of totality (behind the clouds that are sure to blow in over-night).

Anyway I take it from the suggestions you feel that my flush didn't get rid of whatever is causing the sulfur smell.  Just drained the tank and found the Hot Rod has some crust on it (mineral residue.)  Fresh water from CG now in the hot tank so no smell so far but I know the tank still needs good cleaning with vinegar / Hydrogen perox. Wayne's link was actually helpful. Not sure if he intended that or if he wants to give answers more along the line of Herman's.

Seriously... The link gives the Vinegar/water proportion and I can do that. Will drain tank and clean the HotRod then add appropriate amount of Vinegar then fill tank from water at home.  Will also flush the lines with air as if winterizing while I am at it will be sure to drain holding tank too. (get as much potentially contaminated water out as possible.

Next time I won't be lazy but will drain water if not going out within a couple weeks.

Thanks to all   - Except Herman of course.

Tireman - where about in Tennessee are you?  We are in Lebanon at the KOA.

Blake

5 hours ago, jleamont said:

Full moon, eclipse and most of you are at high altitudes, explains it all :lol: this is why I love you guys.

Roger, I had the same HW heater as you on the last coach, one thing I noticed when I removed it, (replaced the entire unit with a tank less) you can never actually drain the tank completely, the plug on the tank is actually a few inches up the side wall, not much but just enough for minerals to collect in the bottom.

Ya draining is not possible. But I have one of those cleaning tubes that flushes lots of water deep inside the tank so I do get all the sediment out.  Of course the salad croutons float for a while then they get soggy and sink so I have to squirt a bit more to get them out the drain.

3 hours ago, blakeloke said:

Tireman - where about in Tennessee are you?  We are in Lebanon at the KOA.

Blake

At Lenoir City  SW of Knoxville  Totality for us starts 2:32:42 EDT and ends 2:34:40 just a bit later than Lebanon.

This site is great as it uses Google Earth so I can check our location to within 5m so know exact time and duration.