alanito2017

House Batteries Discharging

I have a 2007 Fleetwood Revolution 40LE. It has 4 one year old blue top optima's for the house that the previous owner installed. My house batteries are discharging completely within a couple weeks. I think it was approx. 3-4 weeks and the display shows the batteries down to 8.7 volts and it also shows "3A".......am I to assume that is a three amp constant draw? This is also after turning off both house and engine disconnects.

My questions are,

• Shouldn't the display also turn off when I turn off both disconnects?
  • Does the 3A indicate a 3 amp draw?

display.jpg

alanito2017,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Several points:

First, with batteries being discharged to dead, very likely they will not come back to life.

Most coaches have circuits that are not disconnected by the disconnect switch-- things like propane sensor, refrigerator, etc.

Best answer is to fully charge the batteries and have them load tested.  Replace if needed.

Then, do some kind of charging when in storage:

If shore power (even 15 amps), plug it in.

If no shore power, solar with smart controller.

Yes, welcome!

Your inverter/charger is showing Off.  Are you on any kind of shore power?  If so, turn your charger to on at 5A, the large round knob turns and you can set  it at any charge rate you want. Push the charger on/off button to on. The 3A is what the previous owner was charging at.

If your not on shore power, then you need solar panel either on roof or portable.

Yes, your batteries are probably shot, but try to charge them via generator and then have them bench tested...one at a time is easier than taking all out at once.

alanito2017, Welcome to the FMCA Forum !

The information you provided - That the current draw is around 3 amps and over a period of 3 weeks, the total current load on the batteries over that period of time would equal a little more then 1500 Amps.

With no charging system connected or available - the total load would deplete a standard coach battery bank that would be around 400 amp hrs. at 12 volts. A battery killer for sure.

There are a number of control boards that are drawing a minimal current even when items are turned off, we tend to call them phantom loads and even the internal chemistry of batteries place a load on them internally. 

Rich.

You probably will not believe this  but we put our coach away in early October of last year with all batteries fully charged. Got to feeling down because Betty was fighting a dreaded disease. Did not return to the coach for over 8 months. Finally decided to go over to see what I was going to have to do to make the rv useable. Four six volt wet cell house batteries and two wet cell group 31 starting batteries with no hookup at all. The Onan genset and the Caterpillar started easily after over 8 months of neglect. No booster switch. Both on their on.

Could  not begin to explain why. 

With all you have had to contind with the past 8 month, the man up stairs wanted you to have some ease for once. Hope Betty is better, our prayers are with you and her.

Herman 

Byron, you are living right and Betty is on the mend, good We are outa here the 29th of August and back around the 25 or 6th of Sept.

To the writer of this thread: I have a 2001 Safari Zanzibar. From day one with the previous owner it has always been plugged in when not in use. To this day it still has its original chassis batteries, Interstate Workhorse units. They still load check fine and are still plugged in. House batteries that has been another story, replaced every 3 to 5 years and there is an active solar panel up top.

Thank you Herman and Bill. Two surgeries and 36 radiation treatments later, she is back to beating on me.😄

17 hours ago, obedb said:

Thank you Herman and Bill. Two surgeries and 36 radiation treatments later, she is back to beating on me.😄

Are you saying you don't deserve it?

Glad she is mending well.

To the OP. I don't know about your model MH but many have more than a trickle charger can keep up with if the STEP is left in the on position.  The steps stop by an electronic current limiter switch and it is always drawing current. .... Check with Mfg.

Thank you for all of the reply's. I'm new to the forum and find this very helpful.

Is it normal for the Magnum display to always remain on with what appears to be a little back lit? Or should it be totally blank when all disconnects are off?

To answer questions that were asked here, the motorhome is a 2007 Fleetwood Revolution 40LE, it is stored where there isn't any shore power.

I think I will look into getting solar chargers with a controller.

Welcome to the Forum!

Magnum is on as long as you have power...I have 2 inverter/converters, 2,800 each and the management system is on as long as you have a charge in batteries or until you have batteries disconnected.  In your battery bay, you should find 2, 300A disconnect switches.  One is for house and one for chassis (starter).  You also, might have another switch in engine compartment...mine is behind starter batteries.  When all are turned off, your whole coach is dead...

Better to get a solar panel with a controller and start your generator once a month to exercise it, take it all the way to full load and run for an hour...that will also charge your system!