roblaura

Bridge Too Narrow to Pass

1 hour ago, hermanmullins said:

Nonetheless we couldn't stop laughing.🤣

:lol:.

We watched a guy get a running start over a covered bridge right next to the campground in a class C. He made it out the other side and gut stuck partially through (You could hear him floor it and it was bogging down), backed up and rammed his way out. We all laughed, crying laugh's could be heard on that side of the campground. My friend that is a truck driver didn't find it amusing, he was the only one :lol:

10 hours ago, wayne77590 said:

I've been on Hwy 30 also - nope - no rv.

Also been on Needles Highway. Those that took an RV up that highway probably saw the video of the tour buss going through that tunnel.

Tour Bus 1

Tour Bus 2

Inside the bus 1

Inside the bus 2

Malox or similar required on trip

My MH is too wide, 8' 6"; had enough trouble getting my 1T dually through that some years prior to buying MH.

Ken, we were at Racoon Valley in September. Unfortunately not a good memory as we lost our Husky, Miya, on Sept 18th to Hemangiosarcoma.  

When were you there?

Done the Tail of the Dragon on MC. A 28 ft MH is about all it would be able to handle and then going around some of the hairpin turns one could see their own license plate.

Quite a traumatic event when you loose a fur baby. I'm sure many have gone through it.

It happened very fast as can be read about if you search on Hemangiosarcoma.  It was a little more that overnight for Miya. The hospital veterinarian said that if they found the tumor and operated that she would have 1 to 3 months more.  Not a good choice to put her, or us, through.  Anyone who met Miya raved over her.  She was with us 24/7 since she was 8 weeks old and passed at 12-1/2.

In Memory:

MiyaFlowers.jpg

She always had a smile - that's we called it.

Some funny mis-haps posted here.I have witnessed 2 of them myself,but neither involved an RV actually.One was about the same setting as Herman posted.We were all setting at camp shooting the bull watching a couple breaking camp and loading their car on the tow dolley.The lady Wore The Pants and told her husband,"SHUT UP and  give me the keys I will load the car" LOL....She got in and looked like she floored it.That car hit the ramps,scraped the oil pan,and shot right on OVER.LOLOLOLOL BLAM,it dropped to the frame and the old feller unloaded on here butt.He was screaming,throwing his arms over his head...We had to turn our backs to finish laughing out LOUD.Omg it wasn't,but it WAS funny.After the dust settled,we walked over and offered to lift the car by hand and put it ONTO the trailer,but the older feller said just let'r set..."She knows everything let her figure it out" and he went inside the MH.lol We picked it up for her,then she strapped it down and took off.

I honestly felt bad laughing but ,it was they way it all came down.

Wayne.  Tail of the Dragon, I wear that T-Shirt on occasion!  Both way's on MC & in a Jeep...lot's of crosses on that curvy road.

There are many ways and places to get in trouble with a RV. Places where just because you can doesn't mean you should. Carl's Tail of the Dragon is one and most of the roads in The Great Smoky Mountains National Park. They have very narrow lanes and worse they have trees and rock outcroppings that stick out into/over the road way. You can drive under them in a car but........

Bill

On our trip last year we were headed to Scenic Hills RV Park in Berlin, OH. (GPS will say MIllersburg, OH) Well GPS was what I was following and it did take me to Scenic HIlls, but, It took me the shortest route and not the fastest. Talk about some narrow roads and on one of them I came to a 90 degree right hand turn.  Had I known it was 90 degrees I would have pulled more to the left to make the turn. As it would be, there was a stone wall about waist high on a man and it followed the road right to the 90 degree turn. As I turned I kept watching the right side mirror and I cleared that stone wall with about 4 inches to spare.

I look up and see a sign, Narrow Bridge. We squeezed across.  Sometimes one can get  trouble. In either case I could have unhooked the TOAD and changed positions. Happy to have a 60˚ wheel cut.

Another time in California it was a debate between my wife's iPad and my GPS. My GPS said go up to Hwy 74, hers said take Sage Rd.  We took Sage Rd.  Most of the time I was doing 15 mph and trying to see if I could read the license plate on the TOAD as we drove some of the turns.  When I got to JoJoba Hills Escapee Park I mentioned how I got there and the lady behind the counters said, "You Didn't! No one takes that road in an RV."  Yep, I did.   

There are narrow roads out there. I try and look at Google Earth or Satellite view for my next day's travels.

Edited by wayne77590

90% off the time, I hate GPS.  Linda uses it all the time and if we where to follow it, we would still be trying to get home, from last year's trip to Canada!  

I use the GPS mostly when, in the truck, to find my way our of a neighborhood we have never been in before. (aka Garage Sales for Bobbie).:lol:

Off topic a bit. Jeff Foxworthy had a great routine about his wife and Maps. It went something like this.

Giving my wife a map is like giving a monkey a math problem. While she is looking at the map I will ask where is the next turn, and she will say "take the Blue road left up about 1 inch and turn right on the Red road." 

Herman

LOL, that's Linda & she reads it up side down!  Only God knows, how she didn't get lost in Alaska!

A problem my wife has with a GPS is not remembering to manually stop the trip when she gets to a shopping center. The mall's address is in one specific place, and if she doe not actually drive to that address, but rather just parks somewhere in the lot, the GPS hasn't completed the trip yet.

One time she was quite late and I began to worry, she called me and said she was on some stone back road but, the GPS was taking her in a circle. Yep, she had started home because she remembered the main highway, but the GPS was trying to complete the trip and taking her back to the mall.

I talked her through correcting the GPS and she finally got home about midnight. I tiptoed around the house next day to stay out of the line of fire.

A few years ago we  were on Rte 152 just outside of Hillsborough, NM. Headed West there is a small narrow and low steel bridge that must be crossed. In the Town of Hillsborough is a large yellow sign warning of the low bridge...you can’t miss it. We had parked our car  by the bridge doing some gold panning in the river when along came a MH towing a Jeep.  Well he had to stop unhook the Jeep and then back his MH up for about 1/4 to 1/2 mile before he could turn around.

Edited by campcop

There used to be a seriously narrow bridge over the Red River between TX and OK. Only one large vehicle could cross at a time. Had to wait at one end for oncoming trucks to finish crossing, then go for it. I drove a school bus across that for camping trips back in the 80s, and every time prayed that other drivers knew the dance and didn't try crossing while I was on the bridge.

Yea, been there, done a lot of off roading in that area & there is no way I would take any coach there!  We and later just me, would go in there for day trips!  Wish I knew you can pan in that area!