roblaura

Bridge Too Narrow to Pass

Driving/towing a wide RV sometimes requires navigating challenging situations. One of those is passing other wide vehicles on narrow curves and bridges. The attached photo was taken on Historic Route 30, which runs along the Columbia River in Oregon providing scenic views of numerous water falls, and the river gorge. The road is often congested with tourists. More importantly for RVers, many of the tight curves and old bridges are too narrow for wider vehicles to pass each other. The trailer in the photo was about  half way across the bridge with the RV driver decided to also cross. They got stuck between the bridge railing and a stone wall on the opposite side. Neither could back up much because of long lines of cars behind them. They worked for over a half hours to inch past each other. Both vehicles were damaged in the process. There should be signs at entrances to the road warning vehicles of sharp curves and narrow bridges. Once on the road, a solution might have been to have an adult passenger walk across the bridge, and stop any other wide vehicle from entering the bridge until their RV completed the crossing. 

OR Col Gorge squeeze2.jpg

In earlier times, courtesy prevailed, but these days are out the window. That situation could easily be avoided if DOT would install stop signs at both ends of a bridge like that and post to treat it like a four way stop.

Ouch, no one comes out of this situation smiling.  Patience was in short supply.  In New Zealand, all bridges outside of the cities and towns are single lane bridges.  One side has a yield sign.  If no one is on the bridge, you proceed.  If someone is on the bridge you wait until traffic on the bridge clears then you cross.  If you have no yield sign then when approaching the bridge with traffic coming from the other side, you proceed, the other traffic will wait. 

If we aren't going to address the infrastructure problems in this country, we may be headed in the same direction. 

Here is a place for those traffic light I have seen in construction sites. It will be red for traffic from one direction and green for the other direction. I know everyone has seen them on the road. They are used in area that have traffic control folks during the working day but use the lights all other times.

Herman  

I went on that road once with a 93 Southwind and survived it but said never again without using a toad instead.  That can happen very easy as I remember that I had to pull way over to let others by coming the other way.  I remember so many on bicycle riding up and down the road.  Lucky I didn't take any of them out too.   I also remember signs stating trucks not advised.  Maybe needs updating to include RV over 24 feet.  

Edited by huffypuff
add mo info

Common sense and courtesy, got replaced by "me first"! :angry: Time to add bleach to the gene pool and get rid off "Stupid"! :lol:

A little patience on the motorhome's part would have prevented all of that ciaos! Carl, I have to agree with you and it seems like its getting worse as each day passes by.

Okay, narrow bridge. How wide were the lanes?  I'll bet 8 feet. Doesn't seem to appear that they paid attention to staying inside the lines.

I've been on that road. Nice scenic drive. I fit in an 8 foot lane but the mirrors stick out a bit.

Remember the two lane highway going into Key West? I was driving a large military vehicle and every time a vehicle came from the opposite direction my concentration was on the right side abutment/line. The sole purpose was to keep from rubbing the wall.  When an 18 wheeler was coming from the opposite directions our mirrors slapped against each other and I was as far right as I could possibly get, and so was he.

Just saying that had the been more careful they may have been able to pass without incident, but courtesy should have prevailed and not being in a hurry.

Be interesting to know what speed they tried that at.

Wayne.  Probably Snail speed & it's amazing how many people there are that don't know, or have that sixth sense of how wide their car is...now their in a RV!  Good luck!

BillE.  If your hauling the long trailer...you can have some fun! :P

Carl,

Just traveling the street around here and let there be a car parked on the side, well there is room for 3 cars with space to spare but the oncoming car to me just has to stay 6 feet away from the parked car.  Safety I guess.

It goes back to that old saying, just because you can doesn't mean you should. I have watched people driving their coaches round and round looking for some pace to park. Worse yet driving there coaches in parks like the Smokies. Where the roads arn't wide enough to safely pass on coming traffic.  

Bill

I have no problem understanding, why some OTR drivers can't stand us, coach or trailer!  Most owner/driver of a RV don't have a clue and should not be trusted with anything bigger than a Civic!  Even that is debatable! :wacko::blink::huh:

Not a motorhome issue, but take a look at these two photos.  In June of this year, we were coming back to denver on hwy 285, from a short camping trip near buena vista, CO.  5th-wheel took the corner too tight and was stuck, blocking up one lane of the highway.  Less than 30 days later, same exact thing happened to different fiver!

Strange, since I've been riding or driving this stretch of road for 30+ years, never seen this happen before.

IMG_20170618_123429303.jpg

IMG_20170717_193510.jpg

I guess they didn't want to wait for traffic to pass so they could pull out wide. Also, if they had been paying attention they would have seen that the trailer wheels would not clear and could have backed up.   Just always in a hurry.

On 7/28/2019 at 3:19 PM, ImGrumpy said:

Can't fix stupid decisions. 

No, however they are going to pay for it, after-the-fact.

The year after, Insurance bill will go thru the roof !  All he had to do (I've done it many times) was get in wrong way, before making turn & also as Kay said.

I used to volunteer at Custer State Park. Every week we had someone stuck in one of the tunnels on Needles Highway or Iron Mountain Rd. Usually a 5th Wheel, but sometimes a Class A.  Had to close down the road in both directions for hours. 

When we were at Raccoon Valley Escapees Park north of Knoxville this summer, we had a fellow come in with 28 foot class C motorhome.  New RVer and was really worn out from the days travel.  Other RVers had advised him to avoid the interstate between Ashville and Knoxville due to the curves and grades.  So the fool found a way across the Smokies on the Dragons Tail.  Not a smart move and the last time we drove it in a car, I believe there were signs warning trucks and RVs to find another route.

People have no sense any more and do not read signs.

Ken

Got the T-Shirt for the Dragons Tail..318 curves in 11 miles!  Did it twice both ways, by MC & Jeep.  It used to not have a guard rail...now it does!  Now it's also, one way up/one way down on  alternate days...almost tame now! :ph34r:

We where at a Arkansas Travelers Rally in North Little Rock at the River Front RV Park. We were all sitting around visiting (where the first liar doesn't have a chance). There was a gentleman in a rented Class "C" leaving the park with his awning all the way out. We hollored, screamed and waved our arms. He paid us no mind and went right on out the very narrow entrance with two tall heavy fence post on either side. He didn't understand us as he was Asian and we don't think he understood english. 

He got out looked at the coach and awning, cut the awning off and tore  off what was left of the supports, left them on the ground in the road in front of the office and then drove on out the gate.

Nonetheless we couldn't stop laughing.🤣

Herman