Sign in to follow this  
justus2

120 Volt TV Plugin

I am replacing an older front tv with a LED television.  problem is when I test it with my 120 volt tester the plug reads correct voltage.but when I plug in the TV or VCR the voltage reads differently     HOT/GROUND REVERSED??  the VCR has been previously on this special plug-in for years. I haven't changed any wiring to this plug from previous years so why is the plug readings different only when I plug something into it??  i'm realy confused

POWER TEK plug     tv power controller          model RL1007  two plugs at top      one marked TV  & one marked VCR

anyone have one of these plug -in  special plugs    I assume they are marked this way so that TV turns-off automaticly if you try to drive with TV on.  

any suggestions anyone

What type 120 volt tester, is it only a circuit tester to look for correct polarity? If it is one of those type, it should only be used on an open circuit. Does the TV and VCR work now that you have changed out the TV? If you use a digital volt meter, does it read 120 volts AC across from hot to common? Most TV's and VCR's only use 2 wires so even if it is reversed it really doesn't matter to those devices.

sorry about not getting back sooner.   now for all you electrical genius,  try to figure this out.   like I said in my original post--- I get the HOT/GROUND reading when tv is plug-in. to get plug which goes to rooftop antenna to work correctly, I had to use a plug in 3 way- meaning one with a separate ground for plugging it into outlet first then plugging TV's 2 prong plug into it.  don't understand why but it now works???