slowe

Best Tow Dolly Tires

I have been using a master tow dolly for the last 6 years and have had many blowouts. Each blowout usually rips the polyethylene fenders off . Our last experience not only blew out the tire, and caused the fender to break away, but also mangled the steel frame preventing the spare from being put on. I keep the tire pressure inflated and the vehicle does not exceed the tow dollies weight capacity. 

I have been using a radial tire from tractor supply, but have also used D rated bias ply with the same results.

All suggestions welcome. I am switching to a Goodyear American made tire.

4 hours ago, slowe said:

I have been using a master tow dolly for the last 6 years and have had many blowouts. Each blowout usually rips the polyethylene fenders off . Our last experience not only blew out the tire, and caused the fender to break away, but also mangled the steel frame preventing the spare from being put on. I keep the tire pressure inflated and the vehicle does not exceed the tow dollies weight capacity. 

I have been using a radial tire from tractor supply, but have also used D rated bias ply with the same results.

All suggestions welcome. I am switching to a Goodyear American made tire.

What size tire are you running. I used a Acme tow dolly for a couple years with no problems. I don't remember what the ply rating was but it was fairly high. 

You might call them.

https://cartowdolly.com/product/12-spare-tire-only-no-wheel/

Bill

I only use ST rated 8 ply on my tow dolly. Mine are 205 75 14 tires, have only had one flat in 8 years. I use the same precautions as with coach tires, anything over 6 years gets replaced within 6 months.

15 hours ago, desertdeals69 said:

I use trailer duty tires two sizes larger, went from 13 inch wheels to 14 inch wheels.

I had a tire failures on my Demco dolly, did the same, upgraded the wheels to 15" and installed a ST225/75R15 10ply trailer service tire made by Maxxis, never had a problem after. Taller tire spins slower, was the thought behind it. I had to raise the fenders slightly, but both were torn up pretty bad from the other tires already.

Try a heavier tire trailer service and better brand.

Never used a Dolly, but have 3 utility trailers, 2 wheel and 4.  All have 15" wheels and 225/75R10 ply tires!  Linda uses same on her 3 open trailers, but went with 16" on the box trailer's!

While it is good to know the weight of the car on the dolly, what is really needed is the total weight on the dolly tires. Next time you get fuel I suggest you run across a scale and get just the weight on the dolly axle with the Jeep on the dolly.

What is the DOT serial date on your dolly tires?

What inflation do you set the dolly tires at?

I also suggest you get 2 more TPMS sensord for your system and add the dolly tires to the monitor. While you are at it you might also add 2 sensors to the rear tires of the Jeep so all your tires on the ground are being monitored (RV, Dolly & Jeep)