Sign in to follow this  
talgutbir

No Start Issue 2010 Monaco Dynasty

So our coach (2010 Monaco Dynasty) in the last 2 months had intermediate start issue (the starter won't turn).  I had to try a few times until the starter kicked in.  A few days ago after fueling the coach did not start and I had to jump the starter.  I figured maybe bad solenoid so I just installed a new one and still not starter!!

Here is what I have done so far:

1. Check that I have 12v at the switch on the steering column. Also no 12v on the solenoid when my wife tried to start.

2. Check to see if it will start from the back panel start switch (it didn't) 

3. Called Monaco but got the usual " we will look for the wiring diagram and get back to you"  never did!

4. I found that when my wife turn the switch to start, I hear a click at the rear panel but no power, noticed that the fuse (see attached picture) is burnt.  I tried a different one and it burns as soon as you try to start the coach.

Any help to get us back on the road??  Heading to Montreal, QC....

IMG_20170828_120033.jpg

IMG_20170828_120109.jpg

The fact that the fuse burns out immediately means that you have some kind of short in the system.  It could be a wire worn through or a loose wire.  It's a 30A fuse so that means a good size wire.  I'd start by trying to identify the circuit that the fuse protects and then try to follow that wiring from the part in the circuit back to the fuse.  I'd try Monaco again, I've always had excellent service from them.  You may have caught someone at a busy time and they lost information to contact you again.  Have your coach number (last 6 digits of your vehicle serial number - not the VIN) handy when you call.

Is the solenoid on top of the starter, or is it one that is away from the starter. If it is the Ford type, away from the starter, disconnect the heavy wire from the starter, replace the fuse, then use a volt meter red to the starter wire, black to ground, have someone turn the key to start and check for voltage. If voltage is present, and the fuse doesn't blow, then suspect that the starter has a short. If the fuse blows under these conditions, then the problem is before the starter.

Tbutler- I found that the fuse is a re-settable one it is 30A that is rated to 450 current. It is not burnt but the contacts inside it are worn.  When I clean it I can now start the coach.

I think that all I need is a new one.  Unfortunately, I can't find anyone around me that sells it.

Kaypsmith- The solenoid is on the starter,  the model is Delco 39MT

Here is one on amazon if you can have it shopped to you.https://www.amazon.com/Trombetta-734-1221-020-STD-Contactor/dp/B00L83J7Y8

The unit probably actuates the solenoid on the starter, or maybe a run contactor. If it kicks in only when the key is turned to start, then first applies, if it kicks in when the key is turned to on, then the second.