alanito2017

Allison Error J1939 code

I have a 2007 Fleetwood Revolution, C9 Cat with an Allison Trans. I am getting a J1939 error periodically and at the same time several gauges stops working, red warning lights blink on those gauges and where the transmission gear numbers are displayed, they are "x".s or look like cat eyes. This tend to happed very randomly and not all of the errors. Lights, gauges stop working at the same time. It will happen off and on , again and again until things warm up then things work great throughout the  warmer summer.

While all this is going on, the coach still runs the same (very well). Once driven around 5-10 miles it seems to stop doing it and everything is fine. Someone told me he suspected a TCM or ECM connection or wire could be bad since this problem could be fine for months before doing it again but I had the wiring checked out all appeared OK. However, it seems to only do this in colder weather which makes me wonder if something internally in the modules can be bad?.

The problem I’m having is finding someone nearby that can read Allison error codes. Allison seems to hold their proprietary close to their chest

Anyone else had errors like this?

Snake eyes on the Allison shift pad often indicates  a loss of 12 VDC.  If this is accompanied by a loss of other "ignition hot" items such as dash HVAC fan, the issue is likely with the IGNITION SOLENOID or ignition switch.

It doesn't always flash the snake eyes. The snake eyes happen maybe 30% of the time. It all crazy random when it happens. 

I don't recall seeing other electrical failures during the error code but I will be on the lookout for it.  

If the diagnostic code is not "translatable" to an Allison code, easy answer is to use the electronic shift pad to download the Allison code directly:

Ignition/key ON, engine OFF

Press up and down arrows at the same time.

Press up and down arrows again at the same time.

That will bring up the diagnostic codes.  The window will show "d-1" for first stored diagnostic code and then two digit codes after that.

If no stored code, it will show "d-1" followed by "- -"

If there is a d-1, press the mode button to bring up d-2, etc.  Continue until you get a d- number followed by "- -"

BTW, Tom Johnson, owner of JG Lubricant Services, posts here on the FMCA Forum as well: http://community.fmca.com/profile/20842-hzjcm8/?wr=eyJhcHAiOiJmb3J1bXMiLCJtb2R1bGUiOiJmb3J1bXMtY29tbWVudCIsImlkXzEiOjMxNzEsImlkXzIiOjE2NjE0fQ==