2stroker

C-9 High Idle Loping/ Surge At Start Up

I have an 06 Country Coach with a C-9.  When starting and wanting to up my idle using the cruise after a minute or 2 the motor will start to surge or lope and if I drop back to idle it is fine. It's not a big problem but it is there. Idle in fine, no bouncing around fuel filter are good. Anyone have any ideas.

2 stroker

Change in idle load could cause it maybe. Have idled a lot of CATs over the years and it was supreme. Mechanical governor or electronic  A/C cycle or air compressor cycle never phased them. It was like nothing happened. Not at all like the Cummins stuff that I grew up with.  Maybe you have a leaking air dryer. Check out back with the idle set and listen for a loud pop when the dryer cycles. Just a thought.

2stroker, that is common with HEUI fuel systems. Its actually caused by the high pressure oil regulator and an imbalance of oil pressure in the fuel injectors/pump system, sticking regulator or oil gumming in the fuel injectors. While cranking you need a minimum of 100 PSI of high pressure oil to actuate the fuel injectors, once at idle the pump is usually around 500 + PSI, pressurizing the system, when you step on the accelerator or bump the idle the regulator accommodates by raising oil pressure all the while its still trying to establish a base pressure balance, thus the loping idle, or caused by oil trying to force its was through sludge and crud. Some will lope violently at idle when first started, I get it that would bug me also. 

You could ask a CAT dealer if a fix was ever implemented or what they recommend, I have had some stop with a new regulator on older models, however I believe the regulator in that year is built into the pump and no longer serviceable separate.

I have also had good luck with this additive cleaning up stuck spool valves in the injectors and gummed up oil in the regulator. It goes into the engine oil and works wonders on HEUI fuel systems for their quirky issues. I would add this on Ambulances once a year at an oil change interval just for routine maintenance. The problem is engine oil is not really designed to be compressed to over 3000 PSI and as a result it breaks down in strange ways.

http://www.archoil.com/ar9000-friction-modifiers/

10 hours ago, manholt said:

How's your other issues doing?  Get everything else fixed?

One of the Cat guys over on iRV2 sent me all the info on my motor from the S/N and gave me all the part info on a reman oil pump. Went to Peterson Cat in Portland with all the info and they said it would take around 4 to 6hrs, 4 days later, they went down some rat hole. When I went in to pick it up they took $1200 off the bill because they didn't order what I told them to but did in the long run. My cold start was 128 to 130psi now it's 87psi back to factory psi. 

Have not tried the high idle after the oil pump fix, just don't like to idle a cat.

9 hours ago, jleamont said:

2stroker, that is common with HEUI fuel systems. Its actually caused by the high pressure oil regulator and an imbalance of oil pressure in the fuel injectors/pump system, sticking regulator or oil gumming in the fuel injectors. While cranking you need a minimum of 100 PSI of high pressure oil to actuate the fuel injectors, once at idle the pump is usually around 500 + PSI, pressurizing the system, when you step on the accelerator or bump the idle the regulator accommodates by raising oil pressure all the while its still trying to establish a base pressure balance, thus the loping idle, or caused by oil trying to force its was through sludge and crud. Some will lope violently at idle when first started, I get it that would bug me also. 

You could ask a CAT dealer if a fix was ever implemented or what they recommend, I have had some stop with a new regulator on older models, however I believe the regulator in that year is built into the pump and no longer serviceable separate.

I have also had good luck with this additive cleaning up stuck spool valves in the injectors and gummed up oil in the regulator. It goes into the engine oil and works wonders on HEUI fuel systems for their quirky issues. I would add this on Ambulances once a year at an oil change interval just for routine maintenance. The problem is engine oil is not really designed to be compressed to over 3000 PSI and as a result it breaks down in strange ways.

http://www.archoil.com/ar9000-friction-modifiers/

jleamont, Great post.  I have though about using the archoil.  I know a lot of guys use it over on Diesel Stop in the 6.0 PSD.  I use Amsoil 5w40 Syn oil in my 06 Ford 6.0 with a by-pass oil filter for the past 10 years and I will be switching to Amsoil 5w40 Syn oil on my next change. Right now I have Cat 15w40 in it and Cat wants big bucks for a gallon for there 5w40 syn oil.  I can get Amsoil 5w40 syn for around $28 gallon. 

One of the guys on iRV2 said Cat just came out with a new HEUI pump that should last, time will tell

If I had a Cummins I would use 15w40 dino oil but with a C-9 Cat with a HEUI system no different than my 6.0, they love Syn oil.

Lived in CAT powered truck tractors  ( that is technically what they are called ) for many years of use. Both mechanically governed  and electronically governed. Set them at or about 1000 rpm  to keep the oil pressure up, run the a/c compressor , and with CAT's great regulators ( thermostats ) the temp was always where it should have been. Turned the engine fan on constant run to save the a/c cycling the fan clutch. That has to be tough on a part like that. In winter I slept down into the high twenties in a nice warm sleeping bag with the engine off. Why would idling a CAT be any different than idling a Detroit 2 stroke other than getting a partial oil change with the Detroit.😄😂

Glad that your problem was solved.

2Stroker, treat it like your powerstroke, the fuel system design is identical, different parts to make it work but that's it. The international T444, DT466 and Fords version of the T444 (7.3L powerstroke) are almost part interchangeable with the 3126E C7 and C9. You pull an injector from any of them put them on a table you will mix them up, they look that identical on the outside. 

Archoil is a miracle worker on the 6.0L and 7.3L ford. I keep it in stock. 

Synthetic oils will also help, I run it in my Cummins also, either Mobile or Shell, depending which is priced better from my oil supplier. 

5 hours ago, jleamont said:

2Stroker, treat it like your powerstroke, the fuel system design is identical, different parts to make it work but that's it. The international T444, DT466 and Fords version of the T444 (7.3L powerstroke) are almost part interchangeable with the 3126E C7 and C9. You pull an injector from any of them put them on a table you will mix them up, they look that identical on the outside. 

Archoil is a miracle worker on the 6.0L and 7.3L ford. I keep it in stock. 

Synthetic oils will also help, I run it in my Cummins also, either Mobile or Shell, depending which is priced better from my oil supplier. 

My 6.0 runs great. added a coolant filter then did a coolant flush Restore then went back with Cat EC-1 coolant. I use the Edge Insight CTS and have deltas of 4deg EOT 198 ECT 194 and added the blue spring. We had a Alpenlite 5er wt around 14k. My 06 only has 39,000mi on it

It looks like I will need a 1/2 gallon of the Archoil when I switch to the Amsoil 5w40. We have a trip coming up around 1000mi round trip. I plan on changing the oil and filter around 2000mi because of the new pump and them having the pan off.

I send in oil samples on every oil change on all my stuff to Cat for the past 20 years.

Coolant filter add on is crucial on a 6.0L, that oil cooler needs all the help it can get to stop it from clogging, good decision! I installed an oil cooler bypass on one a few years ago, it put the cooler in the grill and the oil filter behind the bumper, supposedly to solve the normal problems that engine had from poor designs. Expensive kit but it works.

http://www.bulletproofdiesel.com/product_p/bpd-eoc-bpof-heavy-duty.htm

14 hours ago, jleamont said:

Coolant filter add on is crucial on a 6.0L, that oil cooler needs all the help it can get to stop it from clogging, good decision! I installed an oil cooler bypass on one a few years ago, it put the cooler in the grill and the oil filter behind the bumper, supposedly to solve the normal problems that engine had from poor designs. Expensive kit but it works.

http://www.bulletproofdiesel.com/product_p/bpd-eoc-bpof-heavy-duty.htm

That is a great system, one of the guys on Powerstroke. org installed that system, worked great.

I did some looking and you tubing last night and came across a test of Archoil  and Turbo Max, have you seen it.

https://www.amazon.com/Turbo-Maxx-powerstroke-stiction-stopper/dp/B019QOJHLI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1504155400&sr=8-1&keywords=turbo+maxx+oil+additive

Have you seen it, interesting.