Sign in to follow this  
tbutler

Aid for Haiti - An interesting connection with FMCA

I received this e-mail from Libby Mitchell, President of the Maine Senate. I have been on her e-mail list since an FMCA campaign last spring to have a bill stopped in the Maine senate that would have restricted overnight parking for RVs. We were successful in getting that bill stopped and I have been receiving occasional updates from Senator Mitchell ever since. This one has a helpful list of valid charity contacts to help with the relief efforts in Haiti. I pass this on in the hope that each of our members will do whatever they can to help relieve the human suffering that is ongoing in Haiti.

Haiti Relief & Humanitarian Efforts

The Senate Caucus would like to extend our deepest sympathies to the people of Haiti. Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims of this tragedy and the families who still don't know the fate of their loved ones. Mainers have always opened their hearts to those stricken by natural disasters and we are inspired by the current outpouring of support. We encourage all Maine citizens to continue to contribute to the rescue effort in any way they can.

Below is a list of organizations that are working in Haiti as part of the relief effort.

Yele Haiti is Accepting Donations

How to donate: SOS text "Yele" to 501501

RED CROSS is Accepting Donation

How to donate: Text "HAITI" to "90999" to donate $10 instantly or click on the link for other options

UNICEF is Accepting Donations for Haiti

To make donations call 1-800-4UNICEF

MERCY CORPS Accepting Donations for Haiti

To make donations call 1-888-256-1900

Operation USA Accepting Donations

HOW TO HELP: Donate online, by phone at 1.800.678.7255 or, by check made out to Operation USA, 3617 Hayden Ave, Suite A, Culver City, CA 90232.

Thank you for your generosity,

s/s Libby

I will probably get flamed for this post but here goes. I really do not want replies to this, I just had to state my opinion. All I have heard for weeks is support Haiti. Why is it that when anything happens in a foreign country the good old USA is always the first to jump on the band wagon and commit millions of dollars in aid BUT we have folks right here that have no jobs, no income, no homes and the good old USA seems to turn a deaf ear? Makes no sense to me. I am more interested in helping folks right here in our country than I am in helping anyone in Haiti. As a veteran, I fought for this country and continue to support it. I did not sign up to fight for or support Haiti. I can only be loyal to my own country. Sorry if I offend anyone but this is my opinion.

Jim,

You say you want no replies to your post but you pose a question and I will try to answer that question.

First, nobody gets flamed on this web site. Well, almost nobody. Like you, I am a veteran and like you I feel very strongly about those in need in our own country. I have spent a career in education, doing my best to help children learn to be better citizens, better learners and better workers to support their future families. During that time I have contributed to many organizations that support those in need in this country. I don't see the issue as an either/or situation. I see hundreds of thousands of dead in Haiti, about 100 dead for every person who died in the attacks on September 11, 2001. I see those dead in a country that is one of the poorest countries in the world and I know that there is no way they can support themselves or recover from such a tragedy. Without help, hundreds of thousands of others will certainly die. To fail to help them is to invite further tragedy and human misery on a scale that even the poorest people in this country can not imagine. Just as you feel an obligation to help those around you who are in difficulty because of lost jobs and homes, the richest nation on earth is obligated to help those throughout the rest of the world who are poor and destitute.

"From everyone to whom much has been given, much will be required; and from the one to whom much has been entrusted, even more will be demanded." (Luke 12:48)

Despite our current difficulties in this country, all of us here in the United States of America are still among those to whom much has been given. My service in Viet Nam and visits to other third world countries and travels in Europe have clearly shown me how much we have been given. I think it is important to help those in need wherever they live. We are in many cases the only country capable of giving the aid necessary.

What is important is that each of us helps those in need of help in accordance with our conscience and ability.