Tutfam

Onan 7.5 kw Generator

My 2004 Onan 7.5 diesel generator will not stay running.  Found pieces of magnet stuck to metal parts in filter housing.  I have read that this could be a magnet that became disconnected from the rotor?  Will this cause the generator engine to not stay running?

I assume you mean the air filter housing. How long does it run? I don't see how magnets from rotor could get to air filter. They usually jam up in laminations and seize genny. Think you have other problems.

6 hours ago, Tutfam said:

My 2004 Onan 7.5 diesel generator will not stay running.  Found pieces of magnet stuck to metal parts in filter housing.  I have read that this could be a magnet that became disconnected from the rotor?  Will this cause the generator engine to not stay running?

How many hrs are on the Generator? and how often do you exercise the generator generator?

Rich.

It's like the coach.  It don't like to just sit, you need to exercise the genny each month, from low to full load for about 2 hours.  Change oil/filter each 300 hrs or once a year max!  Metal shavings in filter is not a good thing....

The 7.5 KW Onan Generator will shut down for any of a number of reasons.  This is to protect the generator.  As jleamont said, look at the blinking light on the on/off switch on the dash or on the generator.  If it is blinking it is giving you an error code.  To interpret that code you need the operators manual.  If you don't have it handy or can't find one, you can get it on-line.  Here is a link to help you understand and operate your generator.  It doesn't have the error code information.  To get to the owners manuals on-line, you have to register with Cummins Quick Serv.  If you call Cummins you can discuss the problem with them.  (800) 888–6626  They can talk you through reading the error codes.  Be at the gen set when you call.

The magnet pieces are through out the the fuel filter/oil filter chamber.  When the generator shuts down it flashes 3 times.  Toggle the switch one time and it flashes code 22, which is an overheating code.  I can put my finger into the coolant and it is barely lukewarm.

It could be a faulty sensor.  We had an overheat code but the temperature sensor was at fault.  It was replaced and worked fine.

Tutfam ! Thinking Joe has nailed the problem. The water pump belts do fail, but one needs to have over 1500 hrs on a well serviced generator for one to fail in many cases.

That would explain the short run time issue and the 22 code.

Hope your generator is on a slide out - if not the common way to repair them  is to drop the generator out the bottom of the coach. They are heavy,  there a a number of items the need to removed and disconnected. Reqires a good jack like a pallet jack to rool it out from under the coach and it is a tight fit ! Not a job for most coach owners !!

Rich.