Sign in to follow this  
travelaround

USAA Insurance

It all depends on the cost of your MH or boat.  If over a certain amount, they will refer you to Progressive.  Our earlier RVs (pull behinds and 5th wheels) were insured by USAA, DPs were turned over to Progressive.  They will insure the other items you mentioned.

I use them for auto and used to use them when I had a house.  However, they don't do any kind of full timer RV insurance so I had to go elsewhere.  If they will cover your RV with the coverage you want at a price you like then you have found the right company.

Been their, done that...  We currently have USAA for our home and auto policies.  USAA will not insure any motor homes but they will insure trailers.  They also do not insure motorcycles, boats, or private aircraft, at least in Georgia.  USAA customer service will transfer you over to their "partner" Progressive, who will probably be 25-30% higher than you can find at just about any other insurer.  If you chose to use USAA, and do not use Progressive for the vehicles they do not cover, they will not sell you an umbrella policy.  You'll be referred out to yet another third party insurer for that...who interestingly enough is cheaper than USAA for the exact same coverage! :huh:  I really need to attend a share holder meeting in San Antonio...

I use Allstate for our motor home as it is a much better deal than anything I was offered by either Good Sam or FMCA's partners in crime. 

Agree!  I currently have Progressive, non referred and it's about $1,000 less than what I was quoted via USAA.  I carry my Jeep, Truck, antiques, house and Jewelry via USAA,  Also have an umbrella via a third party!  

I have used Foremost for RVs in the past through USAA.  I still have my home through Foremost/USAA.  The coverage I had on the RV was full time for a fifth wheel and a RV Hauler - Foremost listed the hauler as a motorhome.

Might be worth asking USAA if Foremost is an option.

lenp

I have Progressive thru USAA. It cost me around $110 a month until i had a claim and then it went up to around $190 a month. I am interested in the possibility of transferring to another company. Any suggestions?

I had All State for a number of years and was very satisfied with them, but I went shopping for a better rate, when I changed coaches!  I have heard that Hartford is also a good choice...yes, the Life Insurance Co!

Had Hartford at one time and had only one issue. Hartford, like so many other companies starts you with a great low rate and after that start raising your rates. My advise is to shop each year when you receive your renewal notice. It may not help but it sure can't hurt.

Herman 

I checked with USAA a few years ago for my RV and a vehicle.  They were extremely high priced at that time so I have never gotten quotes from them since.  When we change coaches in the near future I may give them another shot, but usually when someone is 40% to 50% higher on something I don't revisit.

I too got a quote from USAA. They were very competitive on the auto coverage but were way out on the RV. Combining the coverage put them way over our current carrier, Texas Farm Bureau. TFB has both our vehicle and home coverage therefore making them very competitive.

Herman  

On 10/5/2017 at 3:45 PM, grumpy0728 said:

I have Progressive thru USAA. It cost me around $110 a month until i had a claim and then it went up to around $190 a month. I am interested in the possibility of transferring to another company. Any suggestions?

Call Good Sam.  They will check around and find you the best deal.  They saved me $600 for the same coverage.

I have all my autos, two rentals, an umbrella, and my tt with usaa. Not sure what they actually would cover on the tt. I was told if we had to file a tt claim while on the road it would be covered under my auto policy. I specifically added the tt on top of that but I don't know if they'd cover a tree taking on it while parked.