buwanda

Using a LLC in Montania... Does It Work Well?

I am in the process of purchasing a new coach and was reading on savings if you title through an LLC in certian states. Im sure folks have done this and was there any problems or concerns...We are in Michigan and pay the full shot at 6 %. 

thanks

SAS

My state cracked down on all the MHs that started turning up with Montana license plates.  For them, in the long run, it would have been cheaper to pay this state's outrageous sales tax and the pers property tax they add on every year.

I tried it.  But it comes with complications, not necessarily in your home state, mine came via a toll road in Virginia. They fined me for not stopping at the State weight Station and being commercial.  I have my Texas tag's that cost me $800 a year and very happy to pay it.  

Saw a motorhome in Alaska in 2012 at a pullout.  They had Montana plates and a bumper sticker that said "We Actually Live In Montana".

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 11:12 PM, lmsooter said:

Saw a motorhome in Alaska in 2012 at a pullout.  They had Montana plates and a bumper sticker that said "We Actually Live In Montana".

:lol:

Our Phaeton tag in PA costs $120 per year. No PP Tax. Social Security and Pensions are not taxed. Earned interest is taxed, but that amounts to very little now. Real estate tax from the school system and the county does add up to $5690. That is how they get us.

Meant to add that I looked at an LLC to tag in Montana but the numbers did not add up for us. Thought about full timing, but Betty likes her doctor and sees her ( lady MD) every four months. Would have been running back east too often.

LLC's seem to be a ploy to avoid the costs of living in your home state. I don't like paying up either but I don't want my honesty or integrity being questioned, so I pay my home state's taxes etc. AND license it in my home state too.

WBILL.  I resemble that remark. :lol:

Rex, there are States out there that have grouped commercial and recreational together...so the tags get real expensive for 99% of RV owners, unless your among the "1%'s" ! :P  I will agree on new/used coach tax. :)  Now, for complete honesty and integrity if you want Montana or Oregon plates, then go there and buy a place and claim it as your resident, in other words live there.  Then claim your current home as your second home/vacation home!  If you live in Calif., your in for a long uphill battle!  Otherwise it's 6 months to a year (I think Nevada, it's 5 weeks)! 

There was a long discussion of this several years ago.  After reading that, there are several other discussions you may want to read.  Use the search function above and put in Montana.  You will get several other discussions that you may want to look at.  Most of these relate to cautions and unhappy stories.  Lot's of people do it, probably most get by with it.  I wouldn't want to be looking over my shoulder worrying about getting caught.  Sleeping well at night is worth a whole bunch of money.

I read in the Denver area they started checking out the registration addresses of out of state registered RVs.  They accessed fines and back due taxes and licenses and in just a few months collected more that a million dollars.  Probably not worth the chance of getting caught.

On 9/1/2017 at 10:48 AM, buwanda said:

I am in the process of purchasing a new coach and was reading on savings if you title through an LLC in certian states. Im sure folks have done this and was there any problems or concerns...We are in Michigan and pay the full shot at 6 %. 

thanks

SAS

Here is an idea. Because states are looking harder at LLC's. I would do it as long as it took then move my place of domicile to where you are or your home state.

Bill

Jim.  Don't know about Hill Country. :o We are at Durant, OK., KOA 54 mornings and 80 day, very dry  and sunny! :wub:

I'm seriously thinking of buying some acres in Montana and make it my domicile, not for taxes or license fee, but because it's the 3rd largest State and only has 1 million people! :o Texas would be our second home and used in winter! :)  

Jim.  I'm Texan by choice.  Also American by choice!  Swedish/Norwegian by birth and blood...born in Sweden!  Complicated. :lol: