Sign in to follow this  
KA1VRF

Loss Of 12 VDC When Shore Power Disconnected

We are traveling in our 2006 Georgie Boy CruiseMaster Motorhome and I am having an issue when we have moved from 2 different campgrounds.

When I disconnect from shore power, I loose the 12 volt DC power from the coach and the water pump, generator, lights, slides etc will not work.

Before this. everything functioned fine. I have read most of the motorhome documentation have done some searching on websites. The batteries are relatively new and checked out fine when I had coach serviced before we left Florida back in June. We are going to head back within the next week and I want to be sure I can get this working again just in case the next hurricane decides to join our commute.

Thanks in advance,

Wayne

It sounds like the house batteries may have either gone bad, or you have a loose or badly corroded battery terminal on the batteries, or you have lost ground connection to the house batteries. If you have a volt meter, start by checking the voltage across the batteries to make sure that you have 12+ volts present, then next check to see if you have 12+ volts from positive post to the chassis of the coach. If no voltage from battery to chassis, then it is a ground issue. Also, check your 12 volt circuits, most of them have a fuse in the entrance of the circuits back to the batteries, may have blown.  73 OM, Kay

KA

Welcome to the Forum. 

Do you have a salesman switch? Mine is by the front door and the DW hits it sometimes. If it is off you will lose all 12 volt power. If it is on try rocking it off and on several times. Sometimes they have dirty or burnt contacts. 

Herman 

Thank you both for your input and the issue was with the battery intella switch which I had forgotten about it's purpose.

Rocker switch was hit when entering the motorhome. My wife is handicapped and her hands are not working as they use to. I think that when we get home I will build a shallow box type  cover with a hinge on it to enable access to the switch. I am surprised that this switch is located where it is. Herman has the name correct as a salesman switch.

Thanks again. DC works fine, generator starts so we will be ready to hit the road on Wednesday or Thursday.

Regards,

Wayne

Herman.  You should not blame DW for everything! :D

I'm not an armature Radio Operator, I generally don't miss that, sure did this time! :(:blink:

Kay, yep, I know. I'm on my 3rd call sign with the original in 1974, WB4, (General to Advanced same year two months apart) then in 79 I had a KA5 when I was in Japan, and when I settled down in Texas I got the 2x2 to reflect Advanced Class back then.  Those were the code receiving days and technical tests.