peepafox

Repairing Shore Power Cable Power Reel

post-26671-0-24508000-1349563050_thumb.jpost-26671-0-72108100-1349563065_thumb.jpost-26671-0-64162400-1349563080_thumb.j post-26671-0-93504000-1349563436_thumb.j

BackhoeJ here, have another part for shoreline reel if anyone is interested. It's the plastic bracket to hold the motor. Also still have gear. Thanks again.

BackhoeJ jondel1234@yahoo.com

I also have the shoreline power cable in my 2005 Allegro Bus. Instead of the gear drive failing on mine, it was the brushes on the commutator. They were sticking in the brush holder and became pitted so bad from arcing that they got hot and stuck in the holder. Failure was having only a single phase from shore power on 50 amp service. I contacted the manufacturer and they no longer make my model and the only repair kits they sell are for the gear replacement.

I searched the internet and found the following company that makes brushes that fit with only being shortened from 0.75 inches to 0.50 inches. Cleaned and polished brush holder and used old springs from original brushes since they had more travel. Also cleaned and polished commutator. The company is Helwig Carbon Products, Inc. 8900 West Tower Ave, P.O. Box 240160, Milwaukee, WI 54224-9008. (414) 354-2411. Part number 30003675022601. Cost was $15.66 each.

I ordered 6 so I would have two spares. Total cost was $93.96 plus $11.90 shipping for total of $105.86. Lot cheaper than buying a new unit and I have been using the reel for over a year now with no problems. We are full timers, so it gets lots of use.

Hi all, BackhoeJ here, just for an update on Shoreline gear, still have some left, helped a lot of fellow campers save money on repair.

Thanks John Delmatoff ( BackhoeJ )

Backhoej,

I have the same problem as many others. My cord reel stopped working. I hear pcs/parts spinning inside. Suspect its the little gear in side that is toast.

Do you still have the replacement gears? If so, do you have paypal where I could buy one from you?

Looking at trading in my 2006 Monaco Diplomat for a 2013 WInnebago Tour and want the 2006 fixed right before I trade. Don't want to leave that headache to anyone else.

Please let me know.

Regards,

Tigerpa

BachhoeJ,

I am in need of one of your nifty gears. Would be forever grateful!

I can pay for the gear and shipping.

Please advise cost.

Tony Zampogna (Tigerpa)

2795 Olympia Fields Lane

Mount Pleasant, SC 29466

Hi Tony Zampogna (Tigerpa). Yes I still have gear kit available. E-mail me your number and I will call you to give details.

Thank You ; John Delmatoff ( jondel1234@yahoo.com )

BackhoeJ

I too had the gear fail in my 2004 Monaco Diplomat this winter. I was going to wait for warmer weather to make the repair. Didn't realize the parts were so hard to get. If your son is still in the gear business would appreciate being able to buy a couple gears.If still able to supply gears please E-Mail me.

Thanks,

Cal Kazebeer

ckazebeer@hotmail.com

Lincoln, Nebraska

BackhoeJ here .

Hi Cal, thanks for interest in gear. I still have some left. And also I'm having my son make more because of big response.

Thank you to all that need these gears. Happy to help.

jondel1234@yahoo.com

John Delmatoff

40 foot Monaco 4 slider

Just curious if "Backhoe J" is still providing the gears as I have been contacted via email several times from those reading this forum interested in obtaining the part......

Backhoe J, you still alive buddy??

Hi all ,

BackhoeJ here and still alive & well and had more gears made, so come one come all and save some money. Amazing how many fellow RV'ers need this gear.

Thanks to all & also sorry for your needing one. Also I think this gear fits the water hose reel. Sold one.

Thank You; John Delmatoff

jondel1234@yahoo.com

I'm having the same problem as several of you are having, but mine is the manual type of reel. When I turn the handle to wind up the cord, nothing happens. the handle turns but the inter workings do not turn the reel. Has anyone here repaired their manual type power cable reel? It is similar to this product http://a248.e.akamai.net/origin-cdn.volusion.com/dxylq.nruds/v/vspfiles/photos/CC50H01-2.jpg?1329399158. Thanks Dave

BackhoeJ here.

Hello all RVer's with electric cord reels, just for update, I still have some gear kits available. It's the small gear in middle that drives all the gears. The original gear is cast and brittle so it breaks. The new one is machined from solid stock.

Thank You , John. BackhoeJ. Jondel1234@yahoo.com

BackhoeJ,

I just sent you an e-mail with my mailing info for a kit. I guess it had to happen. We got almost 10 years and 120,000 miles out of that little gear. I was lucky, just four feet of cord off the reel and when I went to pull it in just whirring, no pull at all, done, kaput! So I'm adding that to my list of things to repair...

BackhoeJ here-- hi to al.

Just to update on gear problem in shoreline reel. There was such a big response I had more gears made. Can't believe how inferior original gear is. Small gear in middle of big gears, weak link (See picture),So if in need give me a call.

I also had a big problem with NoCold refer, put in an Amish made cooling unit, problem solved.

Thanks Again

John Delmatoff e-mail--- jondel1234@yahoo.com

post-26671-0-48644900-1380584214_thumb.j

I also want to send a big thanks out to tkas01 for his repair narrative with great explanations and pictures.

Here's the link to his narrative: http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/26336645.cfm

Thanks for letting me know you appreciated the instructions and found them helpful. I watch this thread with interest and continue to be amazed at how many people are being able to repair their reels. Not good for the reel manufacturers, but good for all of us! I guess this could go on for years!

Hello all, BackhoeJ here.

Hope all fellow RVer's are well and in good health. Just an update on Shoreline Power Cord Reel. I still have gear kit available due to I had more made because of big demand, so if in need please feel free to contact me at : jondel1234@yahoo.com

Thank You; John