jomarfl

Dual Hitch Receiver

Hello,

We were going to put a tow bar on our 08 Hyundai Elantra so we could put a bike rack and haul the bikes while the car is being towed. Someone mentioned getting a dual hitch receiver for that job and save over $200 ($250 is the cost for the set-up on the car), and we were wondering if these dual hitch receivers are worthy of all they are talked up about.

Saw one at Northern Tool Supply for $64.00. Has anyone used one of these either from Northern Tool or another company and was it what you needed for for the job? Any issues or complaints?

Thanks

I guess we can close this one..........it ain't gone nowhere. :rolleyes:

Sorry, John/Mary.

A good question, but it doesn't look like anyone has experience with a dual hitch receiver.

Let's leave it open and hope a new member has experience with it and can share their thoughts.

Brett

I assume that you want to put a rack for the bikes on a coach and tow your Toad at the same time. I have not used the dual hit type but I have used a "towing" bike rack on my coach which accomplishes the same thing. The rack I had was made by Blue Ox, and clamped the bikes by their crossbars. My biggest complaint with it is that the bikes were shaken up very badly as the coach went down the road and it did damage to the bikes. Scratches, nicks, etc. :rolleyes: I carried them for about 20K miles that way, but now I have changed to a rack on the back of the toad. The one I got comes from Swagman (SP?) at camping world. It carries two bikes, and holds both the wheels and the crossbar, which keeps the bikes from moving and scratching and denting each other. The rack folds out of the way when the bike are off to open the tailgate on the toad. :)

Hi jomarfl,

If your looking for something like this:

post-1040-1264980631_thumb.jpg

I have used this for several years. The 2" receiver will take many different attachments for carrying many different accessories. The toad rating is for 10K lbs. The accessory rating is for 4K lbs. It is a bit overkill, but it has worked as advertised and I would make the same purchase again.

Gary,

Joe and Mary thanks for the question.

Gary thanks for the reply and the picture. I have been looking for a solution to the the bikes and now I have one. I just ordered the dual hitch receiver you pictured.