rfsod48

Furnace In Winter

When driving in winter with the main furnace set on using propane do the coach batteries power the fan or do you need generator on?

2 hours ago, rfsod48 said:

When driving in winter with the main furnace set on using propane do the coach batteries power the fan or do you need generator on?

Roland!  any of the 12 volt systems will run off the batteries while driving and even the 120 volts are available to power items if the inverter is turned on. The Alternators can handle a good sized load. IE we have had the crock pot going, setting it in the kitchen sink to cook dinner.

Rich.   

A lot of folks do the crock pot in the sink for 6 hours or more while driving !  Been doing that since the early 90's.  I even wash clothes while rolling down the road. :lol:

On 9/6/2017 at 2:12 PM, rfsod48 said:

Rich answered the question.

I am not too sure what the others mean to the question. Crock pots? Wash boards? Taking off the cloths before washing then? Then someone questioning the responses (me). Man we all need that second cup of coffee.:rolleyes: 

Herman

Brett.

Since I'm apparently on time out, again!  I say that because I have been deleted from my comment on this subject pre Herman and post Herman!

On 9/6/2017 at 2:33 PM, DickandLois said:

Roland!  any of the 12 volt systems will run off the batteries while driving and even the 120 volts are available to power items if the inverter is turned on. The Alternators can handle a good sized load. IE we have had the crock pot going, setting it in the kitchen sink to cook dinner.

Rich.   

I don't want to muddy the waters, but a note on 'charging' the batteries, not necessarily running off them.  When I'm going down the road, the alternator charges the chassis batteries only.  Once that charge rate is 13.3 or higher, the system allows the charge to go through the chassis batteries and charge the coach batteries as well.  When on shore power, the process works in reverse in that the coach batteries are being charged and when the charge rate reaches 13.3 or higher, the system lets the charge to through the coach batteries and charge chassis batteries.

20 hours ago, FIVE said:

I don't want to muddy the waters, but a note on 'charging' the batteries, not necessarily running off them.  When I'm going down the road, the alternator charges the chassis batteries only.  Once that charge rate is 13.3 or higher, the system allows the charge to go through the chassis batteries and charge the coach batteries as well.  When on shore power, the process works in reverse in that the coach batteries are being charged and when the charge rate reaches 13.3 or higher, the system lets the charge to through the coach batteries and charge chassis batteries.

Five, how and what batteries are charged depends on the way the system(s) are wired. Mine is wired so the chassis and coach batteries are charging from the alternator and in some coaches there is an Islator(solid state device) installed with one leg going to the coach batteries and one going to the chassis batteries.

I had one fail and the engine would keep running with the key off LOL Back feeding between the to sets of batteries. Removed the ground cables to remove the path - that stop the engine but left the question of what is going on for a time. !!!!

Rich.

1 hour ago, DickandLois said:

Five, how and what batteries are charged depends on the way the system(s) are wired.

Rich.

Those with relays do this. 

Some "close" when voltage on one side (normally chassis battery) is above a certain voltage, others are bi-directional so voltage above a certain voltage on either battery bank closes the relay. The latter type can therefore charge both banks from both shorepower and from alternator.