punxsyjumper

Bag Of Glass Beads For Balancing???

Just had 4 Conti 275/R70/22.5's mounted on the rear of the coach. Said instead of weights, they use some kind of glass beads in a bag?

First I ever heard of it. Good or bad? Also, I can't even see my inside tire valve stem.

Asked what happened to it and the guy said there were extensions on there but they all leak so he took them off.

I'm sure they make a one piece metal valve stem that will reach out to where I can see it.

Likely balancing beads but not sure they are glass.  Equal is the most common brand.  Not a bad thing and praised by many.  Scorned by some.  Unless they are the large beads they should also have installed special valves to prevent the beads/powder from clogging the inflation valves.

Not sure about 1 piece valve stems, but there are many extensions available that work without issue.  Just don't just the long straight extension without some kind of support.  That's what was on mine when it broke and flatten my tire while traveling through Canada.   Lesson learned.

2 hours ago, BillAdams said:

Likely balancing beads but not sure they are glass.  Equal is the most common brand.  Not a bad thing and praised by many.  Scorned by some.  Unless they are the large beads they should also have installed special valves to prevent the beads/powder from clogging the inflation valves.

Not sure about 1 piece valve stems, but there are many extensions available that work without issue.  Just don't just the long straight extension without some kind of support.  That's what was on mine when it broke and flatten my tire while traveling through Canada.   Lesson learned.

Good point about the special valves and large beads. I will be calling the manager in the morning so I will find out more. Extensions were on the coach when I bought it and never had a problem after putting 8,000 miles on them. Thanks Bill.

I have learned over the years, if they say something is bad, I want to keep it until I can determine if it really is bad. 

2 hours ago, manholt said:

I have learned over the years, if they say something is bad, I want to keep it until I can determine if it really is bad. 

good advice

I installed beads in May 17 and drove about 5k miles this summer and they work good.  I never went over 75 mph and they were smooth.  Valve stems have filters on them and I have solid extensions on the inner duals.

The flex hose extensions are known to leak and cause problems, the solid extensions are not, especially if they have a support on the outer wheel to keep them stabilized.

When I picked up the new tires this year I asked about balancing beads (powder is no longer available from what I was told), was told not to use them by the tire dealer since most manufactures will void your tire warranty, our coach already had Centramatics installed so I have nothing in the way of balancing other than the Centramatics.

9 hours ago, desertdeals69 said:

I installed beads in May 17 and drove about 5k miles this summer and they work good.  I never went over 75 mph and they were smooth.  Valve stems have filters on them and I have solid extensions on the inner duals.

Is there a "break in" period for the beads?? I mean after I left the tire garage, we drove about 5 miles and stopped for supper. Sitting there I was thinking maybe I only drove enough to break the bag and the beads were sitting in the bottom of the tire solidifying. When we left the diner, we drove about 15 miles back to the house and parked it. Never went over 60 the whole time. I seldom go over 70 and never go over 75.

2 hours ago, jleamont said:

The flex hose extensions are known to leak and cause problems, the solid extensions are not, especially if they have a support on the outer wheel to keep them stabilized.

When I picked up the new tires this year I asked about balancing beads (powder is no longer available from what I was told), was told not to use them by the tire dealer since most manufactures will void your tire warranty, our coach already had Centramatics installed so I have nothing in the way of balancing other than the Centramatics.

I gotcha. When you say support, you mean the rubber insert that fits in the wheel where the stem goes through the hole? Not familiar with Centramatics. I'm going to get my extensions back on (with support) and from now on, only go to shops that deal with motorhomes. Thanks

Centramatics are great.  Most OTR truck tire shops are good...Just stay away from Camping World Tech Dept.  Buying parts is OK, have someone else install it.  I know nothing about the "Bead Bag".  However, it leaves a lot of un answered questions in my feeble mind... 

2 hours ago, manholt said:

Centramatics are great.  Most OTR truck tire shops are good...Just stay away from Camping World Tech Dept.  Buying parts is OK, have someone else install it.  I know nothing about the "Bead Bag".  However, it leaves a lot of un answered questions in my feeble mind... 

Yeh, same here. First I ever heard of it but it makes me say, "huh???". I just checked out Centramatics, very cool. Looks like the way to go.

2 hours ago, Markstella said:

Try www.duallyvalve.com  solid one piece valve stems

YUP, that's where I bought my extensions and supports from, they were the only company that had the Monaco wheel supports (they (supports, not extensions) are wheel manufacture specific).

Yep, that looks good. Looks like what I had till the "expert" decided to take them off. Now I can't even see the stem on the inners. He was on his hands and knees with a flashlight going "There they are". When he tried to put air in it, he couldn't get the hose on so he says "need to find something to bend it down a little". At this point I'm thinking, this isn't good. I told him I was going to put a TPMS on it and he didn't know what that was. After I informed him he said I can get to the stem by reaching in between the tires. Aaagh!!!

Since you are hanging TPMS sensors off of the extensions, I would definitely go with the rubber support plugs in the wheels.

Since you are hanging TPMS sensors off of the extensions, I would definitely go with the rubber support plugs in the wheels.

Yep, definitely. I see on the driver side wheel, the support ring is still there. There is nothing in it though. On the passenger side, it's gone.

YUP, here is the link for that specific page, you will have to measure to see what length you need.

http://yourtireshopsupply.com/category/9_864_424/valve-extensions-truck

That will help, thanks. Problem is, we are heading out wed the 13th. First stop will be Twin Lakes RV Service center in La Grange IN. I'm hoping they will be able to square me away if the shop here can't. Calling the manager today of the shop I had the tires put on. This is a real learning curve and I definitely seem to finding all the places NOT to go to.

4 hours ago, punxsyjumper said:

Is there a "break in" period for the beads?? I mean after I left the tire garage, we drove about 5 miles and stopped for supper. Sitting there I was thinking maybe I only drove enough to break the bag and the beads were sitting in the bottom of the tire solidifying. When we left the diner, we drove about 15 miles back to the house and parked it. Never went over 60 the whole time. I seldom go over 70 and never go over 75.

No break in required.  They are loose and are moving to the light spot. Once it is balanced they stay in that spot until you stop or the balance changes.