punxsyjumper

Bag Of Glass Beads For Balancing???

Centramatics have always worked well for me. Used them on large trucks for years and they can be moved to another rig. Customer service on the phone is very good. Made in the US. Put them on our Phaeton along with a new set of tires shortly after buying it.

Pricey but as the tire wears, the Centramatics compensate for it.

4 hours ago, desertdeals69 said:

No break in required.  They are loose and are moving to the light spot. Once it is balanced they stay in that spot until you stop or the balance changes.

Oh ok, so they are free floating all the time? That is similar to the Centramatics plate.

I have a set of Centramatics that I took off when I went with the beads.  The beads were furnished by the mfg for me to test,  I think that I will stick with the beads.

2 hours ago, desertdeals69 said:

I have a set of Centramatics that I took off when I went with the beads.  The beads were furnished by the mfg for me to test,  I think that I will stick with the beads.

Interesting. Well, I talked with the tire manager and they put in the larger beads, (no powder) and the stems they put in had the special deal to prevent clogging. They do have my extensions and also the rubber stem support plug. I'm going up Monday and will pick them up. Eventually I will get to one piece stems from duallyrv along with the TPMS. Thanks for the info guys.

On 9/7/2017 at 6:06 AM, punxsyjumper said:

Yep, that looks good. Looks like what I had till the "expert" decided to take them off. Now I can't even see the stem on the inners. He was on his hands and knees with a flashlight going "There they are". When he tried to put air in it, he couldn't get the hose on so he says "need to find something to bend it down a little". At this point I'm thinking, this isn't good. I told him I was going to put a TPMS on it and he didn't know what that was. After I informed him he said I can get to the stem by reaching in between the tires. Aaagh!!!

My inner duals have short stems  too. I had to reach between the duals to install the TST pressure monitor systems sensors (btw, don't tighten that locking screw). Once the sensors are installed and a short 1" extension that caps the stem without having to remove it for adding air (hope you know what I'm talking about), the end is even with the outer dual access hole. This makes it easy to adjust air pressure in the inner dual tire.

When the shop mounted my new tires, they reinstalled the sensors and checked them for air leakage before installation on MH.

FWIW, here is what Michelin says about balancing beads. Plenty of wiggle-room in that statement.

18 hours ago, RAYIN said:

My inner duals have short stems  too. I had to reach between the duals to install the TST pressure monitor systems sensors (btw, don't tighten that locking screw). Once the sensors are installed and a short 1" extension that caps the stem without having to remove it for adding air (hope you know what I'm talking about), the end is even with the outer dual access hole. This makes it easy to adjust air pressure in the inner dual tire.

When the shop mounted my new tires, they reinstalled the sensors and checked them for air leakage before installation on MH.

FWIW, here is what Michelin says about balancing beads. Plenty of wiggle-room in that statement.

Interesting, thanks.

DD69.  Please keep us updated on how the beads are performing and if you have any problems with them...do you use them in all your tires?

3 hours ago, manholt said:

DD69.  Please keep us updated on how the beads are performing and if you have any problems with them...do you use them in all your tires?

Will do.  I have the beads in all 6 tires, 8 oz in each of the fronts 235/80 22.5 tires and 6 oz in each rear 245/75 22.5 tires.  They are smoother than the Centramatics that I had on.

6 hours ago, rfsod48 said:

Joe do the extensions you have screw onto the valve stem?

Yes, very simple to install, here is a photo of what they look like on the outer wheel when it pops through the support

IMG_3810.JPG

2 hours ago, rfsod48 said:

Thanks Joe, do they come in different lengths or just one standard length 

They come in many lengths.  I have about 4 different ones.

On 9/7/2017 at 5:14 AM, jleamont said:

The flex hose extensions are known to leak and cause problems, the solid extensions are not, especially if they have a support on the outer wheel to keep them stabilized.

When I picked up the new tires this year I asked about balancing beads (powder is no longer available from what I was told), was told not to use them by the tire dealer since most manufactures will void your tire warranty, our coach already had Centramatics installed so I have nothing in the way of balancing other than the Centramatics.

Yes, people can have problems with flex hoses.

But it is also possible to be pushing close to 100k with using hoses on 3 different vehicles with no problem as I have.

IMO the key with hoses has a few steps. The outer end MUST be firmly attached to the hub or wheel. I do not trust the rubber donuts as they do not firmly hold down the outer end of the hose. Do not over or under tighten the hose onto your metal valve stem. I find that tighten till no air leaks then go 1/4 to 1/2 turn more. Check with a spritz of soapy water or household cleaner that will show bubbles. Finally be sure to support the hose whenever adding or checking air pressure. Simply pushing on the end of the hose can weaken and possibly fail the hose mount. I also prefer the pressurized hoses over the "airless" hoses as the long inner rod in the airless style, can bend and malfunction.

I believe the wheel design is key to selecting the tire valve extensions. Tireman I also didn't like the airless extensions, having a plunger that long just seemed like it was going to create more problems that do good.

If your wheels have large hand holes the flexible extensions work good, if they are small as the wheel rotates centrifugal force pulls the braided line into the wheel and if you have wheel simulators the opening has a sharp edge. That's what burned me on our E-450 chassis, they were centered but as I drove it pulled the hoses into the sides of the hole and chaffed the hoses. Here is an example of the size of the holes I was dealing with, there was no hope for a flexible hose. It became a routine to inspect the hoses, which later turned into me sliding a small fuel line over the air extensions with a zip tie to stop the protector from sliding, and replace the rubber protector annually in lieu of the extensions.

mZlBwWeeZG5JJSSCu5Ixlig.jpg

What brand (or style) has been successful for everyone with the rubber support bushings.  I've tried two different brands, (one from e-trailer) and when I walk back to check on them they are always hanging on the extension between the wheels.  I've sort of given up on it, but know that's not the correct answer.

On 9/16/2017 at 11:48 AM, cdsuggs said:

What brand (or style) has been successful for everyone with the rubber support bushings.  I've tried two different brands, (one from e-trailer) and when I walk back to check on them they are always hanging on the extension between the wheels.  I've sort of given up on it, but know that's not the correct answer.

I have never used the rubber "bushings" as they do not provide a fixed firm mounting for the end of the hose. When installing the "L" bracket just be sure the hose is not touching the wheel simulators. My hoses have never shown any sign of contact or rubbing with the wheel or simulators.

NOTE the pictures were taken with my TPMS sensor not shown as I happened to take these when the RV was parked for the Winter.

SS hose extender.jpg

SS hose extender-b.jpg

16 hours ago, cdsuggs said:

Thanks.  I've thought about going in that direction.  Also have to figure out if the Tire Minders would work with those.

Tire Minders should work just fine.

My experience with beads or what ever they call the stuff was not good. It was all clumped up inside from moisture. Moisture is a normal by product of compressing air unless the system is equipped with a drier which removes it. Many tire shops appear have a hard time draining it from the compressors so it builds up and ends up in our tires. I do not know if many have driers. Consequently I am not a fan of beads. 

I am a fan of Centramatics and the idea behind them.

All of that said I just stopped at the shop in Oregon, (I'm in Colorado) that installed the Goodyears on the Panther I bought a couple years ago to find out what and how he balanced the tires expecting beads. I told him I wanted to put on the Centramatics. He told me he used a liquid!!!! Can you imagine the look on my face! What a liquid, it is new and appears to work just fine. I have know idea what it is, its corrosive nature to aluminum rims... I have no idea what I am going to do yet but that s contrary to every thing I know.  I will say the coach is smooth as glass and the Centramatics hang nicely on the wall.:(

The manufacturers of the liquid have high praise for their product, of course, but many reviews have a lot of good things to say about that method. Here is a youtube video.