rfsod48

Dish vs Streaming

I currently have a carry out dish and use dish network service. I am wondering if ota  and some form of streaming would be better. With dish you have to buy larger package to get any usable channels and then we don't use several of the channels. I know streaming isn't perfect but would like input from current users and how they use it.

How much will you be paying for all the data you would eat up streaming?  That's the real question.  What would it cost for the data vs. the cost for satellite TV.  Many, many, many folks are completely OK with OTA TV only.  That's not me but many others.  If you only watch OTA TV (assuming OTA TV is available) then drop satellite TV.  If you like cable channels that are not available via OTA how many, how often and how long?  You will likely have to keep the picture quality way down so you don't go broke but that's OK for many as well.

I do have Mobley which helps some with data. I guess I am just trying to see if there is something better than dish. Where we go in Arizona ota local is available, just need dish/streaming for things like sports, movies and a few channels.

It's just a matter of considering your needs.  Sports, movies and those few channels will eat up a lot of data.  The Mobley is a good start "IF" you have good AT&T service available and it's good for 22GB at full speed but "may be" slowed down when you exceed that number.  1 movie can eat up 1-2GB and a 4 hour football game could take 5-6GB unless you plan to watch in a low resolution format.  OTA TV is very good, again, assuming you are in an area where you can receive OTA programming.  We just moved from FL to MI and at 1 campsite along the way we received 2 OTA channels.  1 PBS type and 1 Network.  Done!  We watched the 5 o'clock news on the 1 Network channel and everything else was via satellite.

Our Coach already had the King Dome set up for Dish.  It only cost $8 dollars a month for each receiver.  We get the same programming

minus local channels as we do at home.

aunatralcampers.  Welcome to the Forum!

It's all a matter of personal needs these days.  90% of the parks I stay in, have 12 to 80 cable channels, I also have the power razor on roof and in big city's I get all the news, sports that I need.  The PC gets me by in the Mountains and rest of needed info, I get by iPhone.  There really is a thing called TMI when your unemployed. :D

Watch a movie?  Go rent one!

I think of it as a matter of convenience.  We have DirecTV in the coach and at home.  We know what channels are available, where to find them.  Once we are set up and the satellite connection is made, we have the same service we always have.  No time finding the OTA channels and then figuring out what the programming schedule is for any particular program we want to watch.  We looked at the streaming offerings while at Indy 2017 but just couldn't see it as a viable option.  When it happens we get parked under a tree, it is a temporary situation and we'll use cable or OTA but it is definitely the desert as far as our TV is concerned. 

We also appreciate the time shifting that can be done.  We have both east and west coast network channels so as we travel we can adjust our viewing for the local time.  Finally, as we travel, we frequently stop at a rest area for the night or just for lunch.  On numerous occasions we have checked the weather via the Weather Channel during these stops to determine future route or travel schedule to avoid bad weather.  Having good TV service available no matter where we are located has proven to be a valuable asset.

We have the DISH VIP-722 with the OTA Module.  Get to a CG, go to the right menu and scan for OTA. The channels will populate the guide of the Sat system with a different color. Normal color for us is light blue and OTA channels show up as yellow.  No need to change inputs on TV just select the yellow channel and press OK.  Nice thing is that the receiver guid shows the channels and info for most of the prime TV stations. Also they OTA channels can be edited to indicate the channel station ID or just delete those foreign stations from the list.

FYI for DISH we used to get a lot of foreign stations and now we don't. Go into the menu and find the LOCK features, select the channels you don't want to see in the guide, set your 4 number pass code and lock the channels. They will not appear in the guide.

Since we now live fulltime in our motorhome, we depend on data via campground Wi-Fi when available and via our Verizon Wireless service.  Streaming HD videos from sources such as Netflix and Amazon can burn through 25GB of data quickly.  After that, most so-called "unlimited" wireless data plans will throttle our speed until the next billing cycle.  Often campgrounds will quickly slow down their Wi-Fi speed for campers who try to stream videos over it.

For our TV stations and movies we have DISH-TV with a local TV channel package and most of their commercial-free movie channels.  As we move from location to location, I call DISH-TV with my new Zip Code and they update my local TV channels for me.  A one TB hard-drive attached to my DISH receiver and activated with DISH for a one-time fee allows me to record TV programs and movies for later viewing.  That's especially handy when we're away during evening newscasts or wish to view a movie that is being aired at an inconvenient time.  We originally had a dome antenna but changes in the satellite service rendered it obsolete.  I had it replaced with a Winegard TRAV'LER DISH 1000 Multi-Satellite TV Antenna which gives us dramatically better performance than the smaller, much less-expensive dome antenna.  As with all satellite TV services, shade trees or other obstacles blocking our antenna dish's view of the southwestern sky will prevent reception.  When that happens, we can play recorded movies from our satellite receiver's hard drive and crank up our rooftop TV antenna for any local TV channels.  We have found that waiting for and taking advantage of special premium program packages can reduce our monthly satellite TV bill by $30 to $40 per month.

Here is a question for existing DISH users who've traveled into Canada.  After contacting Canada's Bell TV satellite service several times I was finally able to determine that they do not offer satellite TV for RV travelers unless they plan to remain in a fixed location for two or more years.  Otherwise there is a high cancellation penalty for every change of location.  Has anyone reading this post tried to receive their DISH satellite TV service while in Canada?  If so, I would appreciate knowing what, if any, success you've had with it and how far north of the border you've been able to get it to work.

Couple comments.  You can now get "Distance Networks" from Dish that has ABC, NBC, CBS, and Fox from Los Angles Ca for 10.00 per month cost.  You can call Dish and have your service address switched but all the moving we do that was a hassle so we went with the Distance Network option.  The only real negative I have found is prime time is on the west coast time.   The news is little different - at least to someone that lives in the middle of the USA. 

On Dish, most of us have experienced the " Not Authorized to View This Channel" or something to that effect.  In the past, we had to call dish support and get them to "Re-Authorized the receiver.  Now you can download the App "My Dish" and go to the 'Out Door" section and Re-Authorize your dish without calling Dish.   It says it takes about 5 to 10 minutes but I have seen complete in just a couple of minutes.  

Hermanmullins

I have the "Distance Network " for about month and I still have locals on my home TV a Hopper 3/Joey network.  I have not tried to get locals on my Dish in my coach since I got "Distance Network"  but I will try Thursday when I get the coach out storage for our first real trip of the year. 

Thanks Dennis,

I contacted Dish today. The nice young lady I spoke to had to check but did find out about it. I have a hopper in both the coach and in the house. She said that it is a program just for Truckers and RVs. I would have to have an account for the house and one for the RV. Sounds great for full timers but just not for me. I will check later it might be different with whom I speak with.

Thanks again,

Herman

I have both on the same account.  I have a Hooper 3 and Joey at home and two Wallys for the coach and I don't have separate accounts for the house and the coach and only pay 7 dollars a month each for the Wallys in the coach.  The only problem I have run into is calling into and tech support telling me I can't have a Hooper 3 and Wally on the same dish.  I do have a contact at Dish that handles Distance Networks that I can PM you.  I don't have separate accounts and I'm not full time and agree that wouldn't be worth the expense if you had to have two accounts. 

I sent you a PM......

As CW I have one account with Hopper 3 and 3 joeys at the house. I just recently converted the new to us MH antenna from Direct to Dish and had a Wally activated.  The additional charge is $7 a month for the Wally.  We watch the same TV channels (DW and I that is) so 1 Wally is sufficient. I may upgrade to a Hopper 3 down the road as the recording capabilities of 16 programs at once covers more than we watch but all that we do watch.  It's nice to be able to skip through commercials.

Speaking of commercials, one of the reasons you have to call and give the ZIP code for Dish on the Go is so you get the commercials for the area you are in.  With Distant Networks I don't know what commercials you would get. With Dish on the Go you will not get your home ZIP code programming.

CWSWINE

Could you PM me that contact number? 

Thanks.

Wayne.  I'm sure Herman "The Temporary Man", will share with you! :rolleyes:

We got DIRECTV, mine became an add on at $25 per month!  Linda has 4 Antennas, 2 house, 1 camp and 1 coach...now 1 other coach!  I just finished watching the Olympics on 3 domestic, I foreign channel 24/7.   I taped the foreign channel and 1 domestic, 24/7, just got rid of 90% off commercials... Kept the other 10% that was, LOL! 

5 hours ago, wayne77590 said:

As CW I have one account with Hopper 3 and 3 joeys at the house. I just recently converted the new to us MH antenna from Direct to Dish and had a Wally activated.  The additional charge is $7 a month for the Wally.  We watch the same TV channels (DW and I that is) so 1 Wally is sufficient. I may upgrade to a Hopper 3 down the road as the recording capabilities of 16 programs at once covers more than we watch but all that we do watch.  It's nice to be able to skip through commercials.

Speaking of commercials, one of the reasons you have to call and give the ZIP code for Dish on the Go is so you get the commercials for the area you are in.  With Distant Networks I don't know what commercials you would get. With Dish on the Go you will not get your home ZIP code programming.

CWSWINE

Could you PM me that contact number? 

Thanks.

You get all the wonderful commercials for Los Angles, the weather, the car chases, news.  

Sent you a PM

Wayne

Just to let you know.  My home TV I get my normal local channels but Do NOT get the "Distance Network" channels which are in the 900 range.

In the Coach, I get both the Local Channels since I'm at home right now and also get the "Distance Network" channels in the 900 range.

Leaving for Tucson AZ Saturday....

Holy mackerel Batman!

I made my first call today to change the local channels. Took about 30 minutes I got a person that this was their first time doing this. Finally got it all settled about 5 minutes ago so now just waiting for signal.

Then I found the phone number CW sent me. Next time, next time.

I generally do the live chat with Dish to get local channels.  I have a prepared text I copy and past with the local address.

The thing you have to watch with the morons at Dish is they will sometimes (pretty often) also change the billing address even though you carefully explain this is a temporary service address change only.

Ken

Yep! Also when he was finished my cost went up several dollars. I did argue that point, he put me on hold and then came back and all was well,

I have Dish with a Wineguard Trav’ler. I would like to hear any experiences using the Hopper and Joeys instead of trying to run HDMI cables. I am replacing TVs in 3 locations.

I have the Hopper with one Joey in our coach. Works just fine. With the Hopper you are able to connect up to tow Joeys and have High Def. on all sets. You will have a small sending unit next to the Hopper that require a 110 outlet. Dish sent out a tech and he did the install, no charge for us.

Let me caution folks that when replacing one or more TVs to NOT replace them with the same Make. I have two VIZOs and the if you are not in just the right spot when you turn one one it will turn the other one off (same remote). However they both work interdependently form one another on the Dish remote, just not the off/on function .

Herman

I’ve run into that to Herman I think the mirrors bounce the signal from the remote around if you are in the right spot