SEAN1951

2000 Jayco 283G Front Shocks

2 hours ago, SEAN1951 said:

Has anybody familiar with these shocks  Bilstein B6 (C) Front Shock Absorber - HD - 60,000 miles and is white knuckles all the time. 

They make a good shock. What exactly is the handling problem you are trying to correct?

Bill

Thanks Bill for answering, it wanders and seems to make it's mind to stay left or right and stays there for awhile. I have even tried to turn my wheel and put on the brakes to change it from favoring left or right. Have drove 8,000 miles since I bought it last December with no unusual tire wear. Since driving this thing I have lost a few good years of my life and I am 64 so I don't have a bunch left!  

Have you had an all wheel alignment done? Have you checked the bushings in your sway bar? Is it a Ford chassis? What have you tried so far to fix this problem?

Bill

If this is a Ford E class, use after-market bushings to adjust CASTER to the high side of spec.

And certainly, check shocks, sway bar bushings, steering components for wear.

As Bill asked, please verify chassis.  Also how many miles on it?

I owned a Jayco 283G 2001, I would very seriously have the brakes check on the E-450 they must check to see if the slides the pads ride on are not clean.

A brake hanging up on the front end will make it drift. Brake dust  build up is all it takes to make them not to release. I had them check every oil change.

Ask your Ford Service department to explain to you, I agree with all other comments made add tire air check to the list also.  Lets all be safe.

Tim F405095

It is a good thing this is all written in front of me or I would never keep up with all these questions. 4 wheel alignment no, Ford E-450, 60,000 miles, new brakes and tires install right before I bought it, has done it since the day I got it. The first time I was on a entrance ramp merging on to a interstate and a semi passed me at 70 mph, it was a life changing experience, I have never been the same! I would have thought that the front tire wear would give me a clue to what was going on as toe in or out. I have pulled over to a rest area and applied the brakes firmly to see if it would pull left or right, negative reaction. Will do some crawling under front end and investigate. I would like to thank you guys for giving me some great insights, I am truly thankful for such a great bunch of people that are willing to help others. Take care, Jim

Bill I got so excited after watching that you tube video I went out in my PJs and flash light to look at that anti sway bar adjustment, I don't have that setup on a E-450 ford. BUMMER, I thought I was on the road to non cardiac arrest driving! Blue Ox was a no go also for my year, only went back to 2004. I have done a considerable amount of reading on FMCA since I joined last March, I remember reading about the motor home bouncing over a speed bump no more then 1&1/2 times or you need new shocks. Thanks for the speed bump info wolf10. I stood on the door step by the drivers door and it did not feel sloppy or bounce very much at all. It seem a lot of videos are for the class A. It did look like a small not very strong steering damper. Back to the drawing board for more awesome ideas. My name is Jim, I use my son Sean for all my user name, it keeps it simple for a old man. Thanks again

Jim.

You can improve the rear by getting a bigger diameter sway bar.  For the front take a look at Safe-T-Plus,  have used that combo for 6 coaches (Gas) from 1981 to 2005.  I did the Safe-T-Plus on a Winnebago Tour 2007, 40 foot, DP and it made a huge difference in handling.  The other coaches was Dodge, Ford and Chevy chassis, 30'-32' foot.

Ok back to the drawing board. Look at some of the other videos on Youtube there are some home made track bars and there are other manufactures of them. I still would look at changing the bushings to Polyurethane as they are harder and help with the sway.

Bill

What I would do is on a 60k mile 17 year old Ford E450:

Check components for wear, particularly sway bar bushings, as they are a wear item-- upgrade to polyurethane if replacing them.

Set tire pressure to that recommended by your tire manufacturer for your actual "going down the road" weight

Install rear track bar

Install caster bushing and set caster to high end of spec.

THEN, re-evaluate.

Jim, the video is for an F53 chassis not the E450. I had the same chassis under this coach. Here's what I did.

As Brett mentioned, inspected the steering and suspension, front and rear, anything worn out, replace it. Weigh coach (loaded, full tank of fresh water, fuel, normal belongings in the coach), set tire pressures accordingly. Alignment; have a good alignment shop check Caster I recommend they increase the caster setting, (link https://www.quicktrickalignment.com/fleet-alignment-tools/) it usually will help and set the toe, if ok, move onto aftermarket parts to correct you concern. I ended with aftermarket parts. All of the steps above helped but none took me to where my expectations were.

I installed Roadmaster front and rear sway bars bought them from this company http://www.supersteerparts.com/

Also installed a Rear track bar, also purchased from the link above.

Installed Bilstein shocks, searched the web for the best price. they make a different rear shock based off of the coach length, make sure you purchase the correct ones.

Once you determine the part numbers of the individual components if you get to that point, do a web search you might find a better deal. The track bar they custom build for your chassis, maybe call them for a package discount?

old_coach_2.JPG

Thanks for all the great info. Going to start doing the suggestions that were mentioned. It is a old coach but it fits us really well and we have enjoyed seeing this beautiful country. FMCA community is awesome and making new friends are the icing on the cake. Thanks Jim