eberlym

Fresh water tank

Has anyone had a problem filling the fresh water tank from the rear door of a Roadtrek? The water backs up in my water line. Its not clogged, as I removed and inspected it. There is an air vent someplace on the tank, but I can't find it. Any help appreciated. meleberly@peoplepc.com

Common problem on many many many RVs. Just have to slow down the flow to the point where it isn't backing up. For our old Fleetwood this was REALY slow, would take 40 minutes to fully fill the 60 gallon tank.

Guest 2driftrs

Check your water tank to see if it is properly vented and that there's no blockage (like a kinked hose) in the overflow line. If you have a pressure fill, the overflow is always located near the top of the tank. If you have a blocked vent, trying to force water into the tank can cause tank problems - - tanks aren't designed for pressure! If the fill line is a gravity type (like a fuel tank), chances are the line is just too small. If the tank is supposed to vent through the filler, you're trying to get water in the same line the air in the tank has to escape.

Within a month after we bought our Pursuit, I became frustrated with not only the fresh water fill time (pressure fill), but also the lack of pressure from the water pump. The dealer said this was normal. Dealers always say that, so I did some investigating on my own. Here's what I found - - there was a plug in the water tank where there should have been an overflow line. The plug was just loose enough to vent a little air, but not much. The overflow line was there but not connected. Remember that in many pressure fill installations the overflow line is the tank vent as well.

As far as the pressure, just a really bad installation. There were four ninety degree bends in the water line out of the pump! That's a lot of pressure drop trying to push water around all these corners. So, on a rig not even a month old, we had ripped out some of the fresh water piping and replaced it with something looking more like an engineered design instead of a kids tinkertoy creation. While we were at it, we added a small expansion tank to cut down on the pump cycle times.

For all problems, there are solutions.

Hi We are new to the RV lifestyle but it seems this problem is universal when dealing with water. On our yacht and in our Class A we had the same problem, our "FIX" is actually quite simple. we use standard water hose and than we purchased a 3/8 X 1/2 fitting which we attach a 3/8 black plastic hose to our water line, this we insert all the way into the tank, eliminating the water/air bubble problem on the fill fitting. the air can excape unrestricted because the tank fills from the bottom up instead of the fill down. we purchased the stiffer 3/8 black hose at home depot for around $6.00 and had enough for two hoses. it also helps with the burping of trapped air in the tank and the expulsion of water from the vent. hope this helped you....Dale & Jo Ring