mnikisher

2001 Safari Zanzibar Parsitic Draw On Chassis Battery

Our 2001 Safari Zanzibar M-3896 has suddenly developed a parasitic 4 ampere draw on the cable from the battery terminal to the starter motor solenoid. The solenoid terminal has at least two other cables attached and I have not been able to determine where they terminate.

Has anyone here experienced this problem? Is there a source for wiring diagrams for this coach model?

Thank you all for your suggestions. I have not tried disconnecting each wire attached to the solenoid as it is very difficult to access that terminal. I was hoping for a solution so I could avoid that. I will try disconnecting the "large wire attached to the alternator" as soon as I finish mowing. I should mention that when the engine is running there is no current flowing through that cable.

There is a second cable that connects the chassis battery set to the power distribution buss under the bed inside the coach. That cable is also routed thru the "battery disconnect" switch in the maintenance bay. Interesting that one cannot actually completely disconnect the chassis battery set from the coach, contrary to what the user's guide suggests.

Edited by mnikisher
Adding detail.

There is a possibility the starter solenoid or ignition switch is failing. Have you noticed a change in the way your engine starts coinciding with the draw?

On 9/9/2017 at 11:13 AM, desertdeals69 said:

Might check the big wire on the alternator.  Disconnect it and see if you still have the 4 amp draw.

There are two "big" wires connected to the alternator. The red wire (connected to the battery) and the black wire (connected to ground). Disconnecting the red wire does not fix the draw problem, disconnecting the black wire does. Counter-intuitive yes?

Do NOT operate the engine with the B+ wire off the alternator.  Quite likely, you will blow the diodes in the alternator.  In fact on boats with manual switches, that warning is printed right on the switch.

10 minutes ago, desertdeals69 said:

On the fancy switches it kills the rotor current before switching the battery cable to avoid blowing a diode.

Yup, there are marine "idiot-proof" switches made, but not on standard switches and certainly not if the B+ is just disconnected and then engine run.

27 minutes ago, BillAdams said:

What's B+?

The alternator B+ lug is the positive "out" from the alternator and generally connects to the center lug on a diode-based isolator or shares a lug  with the chassis battery bank positive on a solenoid-based isolator.

Eddie,

Welcome to the Forum. Since this posting hasn't been visited in over three years and the OP has only two postings they most likely won't respond. If you are having the same issue try starting a new Topic under Electrical with your question.

Again Welcome.

Herman

If I remember correctly, the chassis is a Magnum. They had a constant load presented by the transmission. Many would have their chassis batteries die in 1 to 3 weeks while being stored. I don’t think the Salesman switch disconnected that load. 

I'm back! The parasitic draw is still there. I've ordered a new alternator. I am curious about how the chassis and house battery sets are cabled. Is there someone here that would send me a photo (or sketch) of the battery compartment?

Have you disconnected the negative cable from chassis battery while in storage?  Do you have the 4 amp draw, when on generator or shore power?  You may be looking at the wrong end of the horse!

Herman, so much for a "dead" post.

f430040.  LOL, hard to believe, but he's not the first one on this Forum!  We have had a few others, they are no longer members. :wacko: