mervd

Battery Boost Solenoid

I have 2004 Mandalay and I constantly have 6VDC to battery boost solenoid. With wire disconnected from both switch and solenoid I still have 6VDC

on both ends of wire. When all connected I get proper 12VDC when switch is engaged. I assume the wire is picking up some leakage somewhere.

Anyone  got any suggestion where to start looking?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Merv

Its odd that it is 6 volt not 12 volt.  So your saying that the solenoid works ok when the small wire is disconnected.  If you can't find where the trigger wire is picking up the voltage I would just run a new wire.

Yes, I find it odd to be half of operating voltage. That is why I think it must be pinched to a hot wire somewhere. 

I have considered running a new wire. However there must be voltage leaking through from somewhere.

If not not repaired I feel it cold lead to a fire. You know, an electrical short.  Maybe I'm over cautious.

Thank you for your info. I just may end up doing that.

9 hours ago, mervd said:

I have 2004 Mandalay and I constantly have 6VDC to battery boost solenoid. With wire disconnected from both switch and solenoid I still have 6VDC

on both ends of wire. When all connected I get proper 12VDC when switch is engaged. I assume the wire is picking up some leakage somewhere.

Anyone  got any suggestion where to start looking?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Merv

Merv, Help me out here, Your battery boost solenoid should have 4 wires going to it. one each about O gage from each battery bank then 2 about 10-12 gage wires to the control post. 

Where are you getting the 6V reading? What do you mean at both ends of the wire? 

Bill

6 hours ago, manholt said:

How does one get any reading from a disconnected wire???

If the wire has a short to it in the center someplace, when it is disconnected at both ends you will get a reading from either end and ground.

On 2017-09-13 at 8:08 PM, WILDEBILL308 said:

Merv, Help me out here, Your battery boost solenoid should have 4 wires going to it. one each about O gage from each battery bank then 2 about 10-12 gage wires to the control post. 

Where are you getting the 6V reading? What do you mean at both ends of the wire? 

Bill

Bill: 6VDC reading is on the wire coming from the battery boost switch. Even with both ends of wire disconnected it still reads 6VDC to ground. I'm thinking it is 12 gauge or even less. This wire should have zero voltage until battery boost switch is engaged.

merv

On 9/14/2017 at 3:35 AM, manholt said:

How does one get any reading from a disconnected wire???

Carl. You test wire by connecting tester from wire to ground.

2 hours ago, mervd said:

Bill: 6VDC reading is on the wire coming from the battery boost switch. Even with both ends of wire disconnected it still reads 6VDC to ground. I'm thinking it is 12 gauge or even less. This wire should have zero voltage until battery boost switch is engaged.

merv

Have you tested the switch, try with the switch off with the wire disconnected from the switch. and with it held down off you should get 0 through it held down should be 12V.

Bill

Thanks to all who offered advice. I took the advice and ran a new wire. Old wire is still in with both ends disconnected and insulated.

All is working well again.