rlbarkleyii

5 CENTS FUEL DISCOUNT CARD

The App "Gas Buddy" for iPhone and Android is now offering a free fuel payment card that gives you a 5 cents discount on every gallon of fuel, gas or diesel you buy. Nothing to buy just use the App. Keeps track of mileage and fuel purchased.  Card is used as credit card, but really is like a debt card, can be used at any US gas station. All you need is card and four digit pin number of your choosing. Mileage can be input for record keeping or the mileage input can be overridden by entering 99. Not vehicle specific, purchases are ACH debited from your checking account. the next day. Not a true credit card, not credit application or credit inquiry, No fees' just savings. 15 cents discount per gallon for first use.  Better than pilot and Flash cards as it is 5 cents and not 3 cents discount per gallon and can be used anywhere, any brand fuel in US. Get started by getting App, instructions there to get card are found under wallet icon.

Not as good as using my CC which offers a 5% rebate of fuel purchases and does not debit my checking account.  Even a CC with 3% rebate gives you over 6 cents.  I don't like debit cards as you don't have the protection of your money like you do with a CC.

Now the DC and CC comes with the micro chip.  My Visa cards, one in USA Bank of America, has been a DC since 1985!  A Visa in Norway, DC since 1981...no problems on either!  Flip the one from Norway over, it has my picture, DOB, Bank Acct. number and Birth number (same as SS here)!  Both cards are free, no annual fee.  I can have a DC from B of A that gives 5% back, but it has an annual fee of $185.

5 hours ago, BillAdams said:

Not as good as using my CC which offers a 5% rebate of fuel purchases and does not debit my checking account.  Even a CC with 3% rebate gives you over 6 cents.  I don't like debit cards as you don't have the protection of your money like you do with a CC.

My Visa card gives me 5% cash back on fuel, food , and pharmacy with no annual fee.  Have had it for some 10 years.

7 hours ago, manholt said:

Now the DC and CC comes with the micro chip.  My Visa cards, one in USA Bank of America, has been a DC since 1985!  A Visa in Norway, DC since 1981...no problems on either!  Flip the one from Norway over, it has my picture, DOB, Bank Acct. number and Birth number (same as SS here)!  Both cards are free, no annual fee.  I can have a DC from B of A that gives 5% back, but it has an annual fee of $185.

Too much information on that card as it can be used for ID theft

There are a number of 5% fuel discount cards out.  We have the Sam's Club Master Card.  We were already Sam's Club members so the membership fee was already being paid.  Some people don't get the fact that 5% is a whole lot more than 5 cents.  At today's prices (in California presently), diesel is $3.00+ per gallon which means a 15 cents per gallon rebate.  The same card also offers 3% cash back on travel (which includes campground fees).

I can't tell if folks are agreeing or disagreeing with me, but a 5% rebate on $2.50 gas/diesel is better than a 5 cent discount.  Hopefully, everyone agrees with that.

Yes, Bill...think we are on the same page.

Ray.  In the US, I agree TMI...in Europe it has no effect for ID theft.  The photo is taken in the Bank on special paper....I suppose it might be possible, like Chicken Little!

On 9/16/2017 at 4:35 AM, BillAdams said:

That totally depends upon the bank. I use Fifth Third bank, their website says my debit card is treated exactly like my 5/3 master card when/if unauthorized  charges are received by the bank; Zero liability whenI sign a statement agreeing to prosecute when they identify the perpetrator.

Back to fuel discounts, I get 8 cents off per gallon with my Good Sam membership card, plus up to 5% off when I pay with Discover card.

The Good Sam card is only good at Flying J and they are 30 to 40 cents above market prices in any given area.  If you have to use a truck stop I guess it's the best you can do but shopping for fuel at better prices can save a lot more than 8 cents a gallon.

What GS card gives you 8 cents off a allows you to use a CC to purchase fuel. I get the discount with my Pilot/Flying J RV Plus Card. But you have to charge it on the RVP card. Is this something different? 

Good Sam Life Members can get a Flying J CC that deducts 9 cents I believe (the standard 3 cent discount plus 6 cents more) but it's only good at Flying J and it's not a standard CC but only a CC that can be used at Flying J.  If you go to Flying J and swipe your RV card and then use a CC with a 5% rebate then you get the 3 cents plus about 11 cents or 14 cents instead of only 9 (or 8 if they have cut the rate recently).

As Tom Butler wrote...I can and do go to other Truck stops and get 15 to 20+ cents per gallon cheaper, than at Flying J, Pilot and Loves! 

8 hours ago, Hermanmullins said:

What GS card gives you 8 cents off a allows you to use a CC to purchase fuel. I get the discount with my Pilot/Flying J RV Plus Card. But you have to charge it on the RVP card. Is this something different? 

The Life member GS membership card(same discount as RV Plus charge card) is what I have been using to get the 8 cent discount on diesel(9 cents for Elite member). Last PFJ where I refueled the gal at the counter told me to use my GS membership card instead of my PFJ RV card(not the Plus card) as I got a better discount. After swiping my GS card I swipe my Discover card and get another 5% back on my statement.

NOTE: discounts only available at company-owned stores.

manholt, I'll pay closer attention to my TruckerPath app for fuel prices our next trip, thanks.

I tow a Silverado 1500 with a 96 gal diesel tank in the bed.  I look on Gas Buddy for the cheapest diesel in the area and fill my truck, a lot easier to get into a small station, and then transfer to the motorhome.  I carry 186 gal in the coach so I can usually wait to buy my fuel in any part of the country since I get 10 mpg.  Couple that with my 5% cash rebate and I think I am buying fuel at the least expensive price.

Reading all the comments about fueling, discounts, and method of payment is interesting.   When we used to be full time in the fiver I always used Flying J and Pilot with the Good Sams card. 

Now with the prospect of having a DP and pulling a long trailer it looks like I will be re-thinking how and where I fuel.  Currently we use a CC for all of our other gas needs and once a year take rewards in the form of $100 to $150 in gas cards.  

I can see where the Gas Buddy rewards card would be handy if someone just didn't use CC or DC all the time.   Many of my buddies that are contractors seem to use cash for about everything.

On 9/17/2017 at 8:24 PM, manholt said:

As Tom Butler wrote...I can and do go to other Truck stops and get 15 to 20+ cents per gallon cheaper, than at Flying J, Pilot and Loves! 

Just headed from MI to NJ and as we got into NJ the Pilot Flying J locations were charging as much as $3.30/gallon for diesel.  I saw a $3.03 I think.  Driving up the NJ turnpike I stopped and filled up at $2.69/gallon. (less the 3% cash back) Holy Moly!

I think it is plain ol' greed.  Regular gas and diesel are the same price here, $2.39 per gallon.  Go figure.

Before Harvey and Irma it was around $2.00 and Sams had it at $1.89 at times.

Of course it's greed.  Before Flying J went broke and got bought out by Pilot, I truly never stopped anywhere other than Flying J.  That's not a joke.  I was driving 20,000-30,000 mile per year on business and that was my go-to fuel stop.  Today, I look to any other option as I know they will be priced WAY higher than any other option in the vicinity.  This just happened to have been the most atrocious example of their greed.

Well 2 days ago on the way down to Gettysburg from RI I was seeing diesel at $3.35 to $3.45 Tonight Gasbuddy is showing it down to $2.95 in Pa and $2.55 Maryland. Hopefully it will drop some more by next week when I need to fill up.

Bill A. I have found some Pilot /Flying J stations to be at the going local price while some are higher. If they are at the going price or a couple cents higher I will use them because they are easy.

Bill  

2 hours ago, manholt said:

Flying J/Pilot is owned by our dear friend...Marcus! :huh: I do not go there!

Link???

I saw no mention of Marcus Lemonis on FlyingJ/Pilot's website or business links.

Apparently PFJ is owned by Jimmy Haslam and TN Governor Bill Haslam.(son)

A detailed story of his life about football and beginning Pilot  Oil filling stations may be read here: http://fleetowner.com/people/reflections-truck-stop-life

Anyway; I don't mind paying more for diesel fuel when convenience and amenities for a comfortable rest break are handy. I'm still surprised by folks that pay over $300,000  for an RV balk at paying $30 more for 100G+ of fuel to power that investment. I sure didn't stop traveling when diesel fuel was over $5/G, now it's under $3 and I'm traveling at half-price.

I made a posting on the take over by a holding company that is owned by Marcos, at the same time we had the very interesting Posts by Tom B. on BIO Fuel.

I totally agree about your fuel cost statement.  Human Nature, we spend a thousand to save a dime! :blink::lol: