ispjs

Hurricanes/Hurricane Damage & Insurance

5 hours ago, Hermanmullins said:

Wayne,

Just saw your signature. So sorry.:( I did have a slight chuckle at the irony of your message.

Hope you and the Insurance Company reach a satisfactory solutions soon and you will find a new coach soon. Were you'll able to salvage anything from the coach?                      Let us know if there is anything we can do to help.

Herman

Yep, I have had that saying for a long time if that is what you are referring to.

As for salvage, my bays are not pass-through per say. Per say is about 8 inches on the top is a pass through. Enough to slide chairs and tables into.  For the bottom of the compartments I put in those plastic drawers and a few of the compartments have them stacked. Much easier to find something.  Well, the bottom drawer is full of water, so most of the items in the pass-through should be okay as the second tier of drawers should be okay.

PT50-C was underwater as were some tools and a cordless drill. I"m sure the slinky got a good washing.  Blue Ox accessories were under water and the hitch was still on the back so it is mostly rust now. Although the floor on the inside had a few wet spots we think it was from the motor boats creating wakes that pushed water up inside.  One of the floor heat register vents has grass debris in it. All of the personal stuff was in overhead cabinets so it is salvageable.

My dilemma:  Do I empty the bays, take pictures, or do I leave it as is for the adjuster to see? Regardless of what happens I'll have to dump everything from the bays and do a good cleaning/sanitizing of the stuff.  As for the inside personal effects, well if it isn't totaled they are going to stay there. (I think)

p.s., you asked if there was anything you could do. Is sending a few hundred thousand dollars out of the question? Carl said you were loaded with money.

5 hours ago, manholt said:

Wayne, caveat to that "help thing".  If you want it dismantled,  call Herman, he's a way better demo man, than me! :D Other than that, I want to hear that your "on the road, again"! :)

Now Carl, You just told a story about crashing into the back of a truck and then you state Herman is a better demo man.  So which is it?

Wayne, I'm in the restoration industry where we have to restore homes and businesses from fires, floods, etc.  These are my thoughts, but you insurance may see it differently:

The flood water is called "category 3" water, so essentially sewage.  Everything it touched that can't be washed down is totaled.  Also anything that has rust, even if it still works is totaled.  Remember, your personal items must be in the same condition as they were before the loss.  All soft goods such as blankets and carpeting is totaled.  If the subfloor in the motorhome got wet, I would say the coach is totaled, since this subfloor should be replaced, or sealed.  If the humidity was high in the living quarters, look for secondary damage from mold or condensation.  You will need to list and photograph any damaged contents, but check with your insurance to see if they want to look them over as well.

Good luck.

Chris G-F3508s

Wayne, I agree with Chris and procedures may vary from insurance company to insurance company.  Call your provider for information and document with name, date and time the person you spoke with. All those conversations are recorded I believe.

Yep..Chris is correct, documents or pictures of before and after is important.  The longer your stuff sit there/including coach, the better the chance is that it's now or going to be a total loss!  Don't forget, your insurance company/like the government is not your friend ! :angry: If you have not done so, get down to Dues and take pictures of everything, especially any high water mark!

Run Wayne, run!

2 hours ago, manholt said:

If you have not done so, get down to Dues and take pictures of everything, especially any high water mark!

Very good advice.  Get factual evidence of exactly how high the water got.  Even, get pictures of debris in fences, etc, near where your coach was parked.

Since Wayne has been gone for 11 hours (not like him), I hope he's being pro active with his belongings and not crying in his beer! :lol:

On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 2:05 PM, skyking650 said:

I looked at the Challenger a few years ago (2016 with the nice shiny wood).  Nice coach, bought a FR Georgetown XL instead and that was a MISTAKE.  A 38' coach with a v-10 gas engine just doesn't have the oomph IMHO especially pulling something.  Seemed to always be screaming even just on a Interstate overpass.  Same F-53 drivetrain as the popular Thor ACE that really performed well with that combination because its smaller and lighter with the same engine.

You won't regret going to the Diesel.  Not much to learn, lots of diesel stations out there.  Keep it maintained (which is easier and less frequent then gassers) and it will quietly take you everywhere you want to go.

There were two things I had a hard time getting used to with my Challenger.  Number One was finding places to get in and out of easily for gas.  I only pull a small aluminum trailer with my Harley on it but it is still sometimes a challenge to fuel a 38' coach pulling anything.  The Number Two problem was that F-53 chassis.  If I wasn't paying attention when a big truck passed me I could easily end up on the shoulder.  I weighed it, properly aired the tires, had front end aligned, did the CHF, and had Sumo springs put all around.  After that $2,000 plus of improvements it is much better but as soon as that V-10 sees a little hill up ahead it starts screaming at me!  I certainly miss my 6.7 Ford diesel and would not go full time without a diesel coach.

2 hours ago, ISPJS said:

There were two things I had a hard time getting used to with my Challenger.  Number One was finding places to get in and out of easily for gas.  I only pull a small aluminum trailer with my Harley on it but it is still sometimes a challenge to fuel a 38' coach pulling anything.  The Number Two problem was that F-53 chassis.  If I wasn't paying attention when a big truck passed me I could easily end up on the shoulder.  I weighed it, properly aired the tires, had front end aligned, did the CHF, and had Sumo springs put all around.  After that $2,000 plus of improvements it is much better but as soon as that V-10 sees a little hill up ahead it starts screaming at me!  I certainly miss my 6.7 Ford diesel and would not go full time without a diesel coach.

I recommend you look at 5 Star tuners. http://5startuning.com/

Did you add a track bar? 

http://www.blueox.com/chassis-performance/tigertrak-track-bars/

Bill

3 hours ago, manholt said:

Since Wayne has been gone for 11 hours (not like him), I hope he's being pro active with his belongings and not crying in his beer! :lol:

Ah beer! Used the Instant Pot this evening and did some electric pressure cooker baby back ribs. Ummmm gooooood.

Thank you all for the advice. Water mark is evident and  do have pictures. Going there tomorrow to take some close ups.  It would have been nice if the insurance could send adjuster in a time frame less than a month.  Mitigation of goods would have been much better.  I have basically left everything as Harvey left it.

Chris, funny you should mention Category 3 flood water. As habit when we entered the coach Earlene (DW) took off her shoes.  she found damp places on the carpet. When I told her the next day that there was sewage in the water she was ready for another bath.  Thank you all for the information. I'm going to fight for the right price.  Don't know how the floor got wet but there was grass debris (Still there) in a heat register by the door.  We are thinking it was from the motor boats rescuing people. The actual dried water mark is about half way up the bay doors.

The Repair Facility has video of an Alpha that was in front of our coach. The video shows the Alpha with water up to the headlights.

Who knows, we'll see what happens.

Oh, the 11 hours off of here was GD's soccer game. cooking ribs and watching a good (well not so good according to DW) movie.

Unlike others, I do have a life.

Wayne.  Baby Back ribs, good eats! :wub: In a pressure cooker and not grilled? UGH :wacko: Didn't know you was from NY City! :rolleyes:

Sometimes in a disaster, I feel that the Insurer drags their feet, just to see what your reaction will be.  Having said that, After TS Allison, I read the does and don'ts.  As mentioned above, take lots of photos, then start taking your personal items out and take more photos of each item, clean up what you can and more photo's, gather all your receipts for everything and anything.  Don't wait until adjuster gets there, by then there will be more damage than you have now and they will blame you...re member?  Now they are no longer your friend and will low ball you on any nit picking thing they can find ! 

You may also have coverage via Dues, under Liability!  Quietly check that out..:D

We stayed home thru Irma and due to power going out, we actually rode out the storm passing by in our MH.  I had it parked where the house shielded 2 sides.  Already had the fridge cold.  So when we lost power, we moved perishables into the MH, went in there, started the generator and had AC and local TV channels thru the storm.  We were also fortunate that we were only w/o power in the house from 11:30am Sunday until about 8:30pm Sunday.  Just the time Irma was near us.  We live about 15 miles from the east coast by Ft Lauderdale.  Irma went up the west coast and it was scary here.  I'd of hated to be in the center of that when it first hit Florida, until it weakened a lot.

My understanding is that now your facing another treat from a L pressure center and a lot of rain!  Snakes and Gators ought to be happy!

Ditto Bill, X2! 

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 8:03 PM, WILDEBILL308 said:

I recommend you look at 5 Star tuners. http://5startuning.com/

Did you add a track bar? 

http://www.blueox.com/chassis-performance/tigertrak-track-bars/

Bill

I checked into both the bigger rear trac bar plus putting on a 5 star tuner.  The suspension mods I did made the coach handle about 75% better so I decided against the trac bar but was still considering the tuner.  Of course when we made the decision to return to full timing and change coaches the tuner came off my RV wish list.

ISPJS,

Perhaps I am not understanding.  Are you consideringt a bigger rear SWAY BAR/ANTI-SWAY BAR?  Track bars really don't come in different "strengths".

They serve very different purposes:

Sway bar controls sway

Track bar controls the side to side "push" of the long rear overhand. It locks the rear axle to the frame rail so that you can have up/down motion over bumps, but prevents side to side movement of coach to axle.