W0GEN

FMCA Perry GA 2018

I just signed up for the 2018 Perry FMCA Convention as a first timer!

Question:  Am I able to arrive on the late afternoon of the 14th?  

And is there any advice by you seasoned Convention attendees on if I should choose Generator or pay for the 50 Amp Service?  

I understand that avoiding being on the grass areas is desirable?  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Any other newby tips would be appreciated!

Excited in Iowa....

Bill

Bill, welcome to the forum. I think it would be hard to avoid the grass at Perry. I always have gone ahead and gotten the 50 amp service. 

Are you volunteering? I drove "handicapped golf carts" my last time.

Bill 

Grass = 50A, water and dump.  It's hard packed and only a few places will puddle in a hard rain.  I prefer it by the fence!  Generator or 30A = no dump or water and the lines to dump can be grueling, Some might still be in line from last year! :D

Welcome Bill,

This being your first convention, I would recommend that you arrive before the afternoon of March 14, since that's when we will be doing our first-timer's seminar. More than likely, since you've registered this early, you will given a March 13 arrival date.

By coming in on March 13, you will have time to get your bearings and check out where the various activities will be taking place.

As for parking, most folks in Perry park in grass. The Georgia National Fairgrounds folks have done incredible work solidifying the parking areas and adding drainage, so the "stuck in the mud" problems from the past have mostly been resolved.

As a first-timer, you're smart to reach out to others who have "been there, done that" for advice. But just so you know, we will be providing additional first-timer information in your Confirmation Packet, and we will have a dedicated page on our web site just for first-timers.

If you have specific questions, you can send them to convention@fmca.com.

You're going to have a blast in Perry. Rest up before you get there!

Thanks to all for your information!  I called FMCA this AM and upgraded to 50 Amp...  Excited to go on this trip!

I will be at Perry. Am planning on giving my two different Tire seminars and 3 or 4 on Genealogy.

Hope some of you stop by and say Hi.

Also, hope to be able to again offer my pressure gauge accuracy check.

Hubby and I purchased our first motor coach a few months ago and have only spent one night in it, trying to figure out everything.  We are the 3rd owners, but it's only a 2011 Winnebago Journey Express, in great shape, and we're eager and excited to learn!  I just paid registration fee for us to attend the RV Basics course in addition to attending the Perry Rally.  It's our first ever experience.  We still both work full time, but are looking forward to retiring in a few years and are hoping to make good use of our "new-to-us" RV! We keep hearing great things about the FMCA rally in Perry.  Please feel free to offer any preparation advice.  Jeanie and David

Bring a rain coat and boots that will help you get through the mud!  Sorry, there will be much to do but there will also likely be rain in Perry that time of year.

giginurse.  Welcome!

What area have you signed up for...50A, 30A, Generator only?  Yes, it did rain off and on at the last Perry Rally, but it really did not get Muddy.  All depends on where your parked.  I get the 50A and it's also water and dump.  Had a few puddle's, that dried up pretty quickly.  As stated above, it's the hit or miss season!  I suggest you become a volunteer, you will meet a lot of good folks and learn so much more from others and the experience! 

When you come to Perry, have full fuel, full fresh water and empty gray/black tanks.

Anything you wish to know about your coach, you will find the answer here on this Forum and at the FMCA Rally's!  

Unfortunately, I will not.  I will be with the Chapter that I represent, playing golf in Sebring, FL.  3/18 to 3/22....they have not seen me in 3 years! :rolleyes: 

Wayne,

That would be really up to you. I have my truck that I take the Golf Cart in. I am furnished a cart, being a Parking Crew Leader. The wife uses our cart for helping with a friend of ours. We use the truck for Shopping, touring and eating.

There are Trams and trolleys running all over the grounds and are heavily used. And by the way if it is your decision to go with Generator only there are Honey wagons and potable water available .

As I say, car or cart, it would be totally up to you. 

Hope to see you there.

Herman

This is also our first time "staying on site". We have attended Perry and Indianapolis as 'day visitors' while camping off-site. We too have signed up for 50 amp and have a Mar 13th arrival  Two questions: I see some have reference to 50amp as having water and dump?  Or does that just mean that the "pay for water and dump" truck is available to those areas. Greatly appreciate clarification.   Also, arriving on the 13th (Tuesday) does that mean we can not leave until the following Monday morning?  I expect that by Sunday morning we will be more than ready to leave for the long journey home. What is the procedure, availability, etc of leaving on Sunday morning.?  Thanks a bunch for your help.

bob.  You can leave any day you want to.   The 50A site that I was in last time was with water & sewage, I think (not 100% sure) all 50A is that way...I did put a Y on the faucet to share the connection!  Enjoy the moment.

Don't forget the Forum Get together.

Friday March 16th in Seminar Room 4 (the Heritage Building) 5:30 PM

This is your chance to meet some of the folks from the forum.

Herman

Having been to a number of Family Reunion Conventions, I thought I might pass along a suggestion on what seminars to attend. With 100 seminars to choose from at Perry, making a selection can be daunting especially for a first timer but in my opinion, you can make attending seminars both enjoyable and educational. Others will have some alternate suggestions but this would be my generic list. I have not seen the detailed list so some of my suggestions may have different titles but hopefully, you get the idea.

Once I get the detail list of seminars and the schedule I would try and match my generic list to what is offered at this convention. Even if I had attended a similar seminar in the past I have found that there is always something new to be learned.  So in no particular order of priority:

1. First-time attendee orientation. This gives you an overview of current FMCA member benefits

2. Chassis seminar (list various chassis i.e. Freightliner, Spartan, etc. If no seminar offered by a MFG then list the chassis-specific FMCA Chapter seminars i.e. Bounder, Diesel club, Tiffin etc) might be a good bet for finding a support group when you have questions on your RV.

3. "Fire & Life Safety". I have attended this seminar a couple of times. It is entertaining and informative on the topic of personal safety when it comes to fire and RV ownership. Do you know how to get out your emergency Exit?

4. "RV Weight & Tire Safety" and/or "Tire Knowledge for RV owner", Ya this is a plug for a seminar I give on tire knowledge but if you can't attend my seminar then definitely put the Weight & Safety seminar on your must-attend list.

5. "Ask the Experts" Always entertaining and informative. Even if you don't want to ask a question, you will learn some stuff.

6. Area Gatherings. Get to know fellow RV owners from your geographic area. Learn about upcoming area events.

7. "The RV Doctor's Top 10 RV Facts Of Life " by Gary Bunzer RV Doctor (and any of his other seminars)

The following seminars may or may not be offered at Perry. Non-product seminars with an emphasis on basic information that would be educational to first timers and good reminders to experienced RVers

8 "Water in and Waste out"  RV Plumbing an overview  (Winterizing, Sanitation, preventive maintenance) This info is many times covered in RV Doctor's seminars.

9. "The shocking story"  RV Electrics.  Shore power, Generators, and RV electrical systems overview & preventive maintenance and how to decide if you can repair it yourself. I am not aware of any such current seminar but learning about RV electrics is a good thing.

10. RV driving, an introduction, and refresher to RV life.  Topics to look for:   Driving a motorhome is not like driving a car.     Things to learn and Things to remember.  There is a special course on driving an RV. Completion might earn you an insurance discount.

As I said this is just my personal list.

Others have suggested considering

It isn't possible to attend all those in one National Convention to see what you can and then keep the list and keep checking them off until you have attended the whole list. 

In addition I would suggest the diesel engine seminar (for those so equipped or considering going diesel) with reps from each of the engine manufacturers.

There is a driving course dedicated to women that should be on their list.  Louise also likes to get the latest information on cooking in the motorhome. 

The vendor service center is always on my list.  Make an appointment and get an expert to come to your motorhome to identify and possibly fix your most irritating problem.

Also

If a diesel engine, either the Caterpillar or Cummins Seminar

If handling or ride concerns, the Suspension/Coach Ride & Handling Seminar

On 1/29/2018 at 8:44 PM, lbdews said:

We are also first time attendees.....is there any kind of schedule to look at in advance?

I understand there is supposed to be an APP for Perry with a map and other info. If you are registered you should get an email about the APP soon.

grampy,

There is an app for Perry on Face Book. If I understand it you go on Face Book and look for FMCA Conventions. I will post the entire thing here after I get out of a meeting where I will get the information.

Herman