childress

2000 Suzuki Toad

I will give my 2 cents worth. If you have 4 Wheel Drive Transfer case put in in Neutral, then you want to leave the Steering Wheel UNLOCKED so the Front Wheels can turn with the Motorhome when you turn. I just leave the Key in the Ignition, but make sure you can turn the Steering Wheel. Best to start your Vehicle then turn Ignition to OFF but don't remove the Key, that way it is unlocked. You know every time you remove the Key form the Ignition it Locks the Steering Wheel. I don't think it makes any difference where the Transmission Shift is left at but Park should work fine.

2 hours ago, dphorton said:

I will give my 2 cents worth. If you have 4 Wheel Drive Transfer case put in in Neutral, then you want to leave the Steering Wheel UNLOCKED so the Front Wheels can turn with the Motorhome when you turn. I just leave the Key in the Ignition, but make sure you can turn the Steering Wheel. Best to start your Vehicle then turn Ignition to OFF but don't remove the Key, that way it is unlocked. You know every time you remove the Key form the Ignition it Locks the Steering Wheel. I don't think it makes any difference where the Transmission Shift is left at but Park should work fine.

Is this advice for towing on a DOLLY as asked by the OP??

OR, 4 wheels down?

3 hours ago, dphorton said:

As Brett mentioned, I'm not sure if you're giving instructions for dolly towing or 4 down but I will say again -- What does the owners manual say?

Here are the instructions for towing 4 down:

From the owner's manual - 2000 Vitara/Grand Vitara ...

Towing Method A - 4WD vehicles with automatic transmission - four wheels on the ground.

1 - Shift the automatic transmission in P (Park)
2 - Turn the ignition key to the "ON" position
3 - Shift the transfer lever into neutral
4 - Make sure 4WD light on instrument cluster is off
5 - Turn the ignition key to the "ACC" position to unlock the steering wheel
6 - Release the parking brake.

Stop towing the vehicle every 200 miles, with the transfer lever still in neutral, start the engine, shift into "D" (Drive) and rev the engine for about one minute to circulate the oil in the transfer case. Make sure to shift into "P" (Park) before next towing.

11 hours ago, childress said:

I have a 4wd automatic 2000 Suzuki Vitara. 

My question: can I put on a tow dolly and simply put the 4wd transfer case in neutral with cars transmission in park. 

Welcome to the forum. My first question is why do you want to use a dolly? It adds a extra level of work that you don't need. The instructions for towing 4 down will work for towing on a dolly if you insist. On big thing follow the directions for your dolly manufacturer. Some need the front wheels locked and some need them to be able to turn. Not doing it right will damage your toad.

Bill

3 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

Welcome to the forum. My first question is why do you want to use a dolly? It adds a extra level of work that you don't need. The instructions for towing 4 down will work for towing on a dolly if you insist. On big thing follow the directions for your dolly manufacturer. Some need the front wheels locked and some need them to be able to turn. Not doing it right will damage your toad.

Bill

Bill. I'm not sure if he can tow this on a dolly. Some Suzukis can only be dollied with the rear wheels off the ground, so towed backwards. I had a Suzuki Samurai that could be flat towed or on a dolly backwards.

Childress.  Welcome to the Forum!

Tow it 4 down as Jim S. said.   Other option is on a flat bed trailer....you'll save .50 cents in rubber, but spend $2,000 on trailer!

It would be nice to know make and model of your coach.