Sign in to follow this  
rfsod48

U.S. 90 San Antonio To Van Horn

Question

We are thinking of taking a detour from Dallas when we go to Arizona this winter. Would it be better to do this on way there or on the way home? We want to go to San Antonio and then take 90 to Big Bend area and then to Van Horn. We will leave early January and return late March.

March will be prettier with wild flowers.

January can be just fine-- check weather before making the decision.  But U.S. 90, being south of I10 is almost always just a little warmer.

This is from a post I made several years ago.  If going E to W, just read from the bottom:

No problem with I 10 all the way, but there is a much more scenic route across Texas.

Exit I 10 in Van Horn Texas onto U.S. 90. Take it across to San Antonio where it rejoins I 10. Only 25 miles longer. Excellent two lane road with very, very little traffic.

Alpine is a cute small west Texas town. That and Del Rio are best resupply points between Van Horn and San Antonio.

Visit Big Bend NP if not in the heat of the summer. Either drive down in the RV, or leave the RV at RV parks in Alpine or Marathon and drive the toad.

Visit the (free) Judge Roy Bean center in Langtry.

Then Seminole Canyon State Park (electric, water and dump station). Some several thousand year old Indian cave paintings there and free small museum in the park HQ. Some nice hiking trails in the park as well.

For fishermen, Lake Amistad is a good stop-- plenty of RV parks as well.

Then Del Rio if you want to cross the border. Huge HEB grocery store at corner right downtown on U.S. 90.  Plenty of parking, gas and diesel with room to get to pumps.

Not a lot to see in Hondo, but during WW II, that is where they trained Army Air Corp navigators/bombardiers.

Castroville has a nice regional park in town, the town settled by immigrants from the Alsace Region.

Here are some places we recently stayed:

Broke Mill RV Park, Del Rio.

Marathon Motel & RV Park, Marathon

A drive through Big Bend in your motorhome is great.

Visit Terlingua Ghost Town and have a beer on the porch with the locals.

Maverick RV Ranch, Lajitas

Make the drive between Lajitas and Presidio (Hwy 170)  following the Rio Grande River.

Davis Mountains State Park (pull through w/full hook ups) in Fort Davis

McDonald Observatory and get tickets for the star gazing party.

March and April will be better for cactus blooms.

Enjoy our great state.

" Make the drive between Lajitas and Presidio (Hwy 170)  following the Rio Grande River. "

Yes, a very scenic drive.  But be aware that there is a short, VERY steep (15% grade). Not all coaches would be happy with it.  And certainly would not hurt to disconnect a heavy toad for that short stretch.

3 hours ago, wolfe10 said:

" Make the drive between Lajitas and Presidio (Hwy 170)  following the Rio Grande River. "

Yes, a very scenic drive.  But be aware that there is a short, VERY steep (15% grade). Not all coaches would be happy with it.  And certainly would not hurt to disconnect a heavy toad for that short stretch.

Oh my!  I meant to say but only in your toad. Not only steep but some pretty good curves. Thanks, Brett, good catch.

Jim S.  Since I know a few who take their fifth all the way, I just thought, "well maybe Jim is rattled enough to take his coach, where I just take my Jeep"! :wacko: Just saying....:blink:

Carl, I've seen many fifth wheels and a few motorhomes on the of way to the the Big Bend State Park and you can always see their white knuckles.  You won't see me doing it.

Wish they would fix it, it's a lot better and shorter road going via Marfa...crazy Mexican drivers, other than that, OK.  Took my Allegro Bus that way, then back almost to Marfa (cut thru a ranch to 118) then back to Lajitas...looong day! :rolleyes:

Is rt 385 thru Big Bend National Park ok for mh towing? We are planning our return to Michigan end of March and want to visit this area and RGV.

Roland, that road is good.  They have a RV park inside BB suggest you call them and get a spot for a couple of days.  It's nothing fancy, but level and doable.  All main roads in Park, including 385 is 40 mph and that's fine...you will see a lot and enjoy it. 

Don't take the road to Presidio unless you decide to make it a round trip...the road from Presidio to Lajitas is very curvy, narrow and up/down 7%-9%...great day trip if you want to see Big Bend State Park also.  Yes, one is State and one is National. :wub:  I would take 118 out Alpine...If you have a week, then spend 3 days in Lajitas at the Maverick RV Park $37 full H/U it's a big resort with a GREAT Golf Course, one of the Top 15 in Texas!  Your DW would go gaga over the views!  Then take 170W to the State Park, wonderful drive in the Toad. When you leave Lajitas, go back to 118 and turn right, it will lead you into the National Park and then Join up with 385...I really would recommend some days there!  385 joins 90 a great drive to San Antonio via Del Rio. 

Hwy 385 is no problem at all. My wife drove our 44ft motorhome from the visitors center to Marathon. Let us know your planned route from the valley and we can help with rv parks. 

Maverick is the nicest rv park in the area with one problem, it's not near anything except the resort. Of course you need to stop and meet the mayor of Lajitas. 

A must not miss is sitting on the porch in the Terlingua ghost town indulging the locals in their tall tales...mesmerizing. Check out the local cemetery too. 

Jim S.  I was hopping you would chime in, since it's more your stomping area than mine.  I only go for the Golf and like you, the 4 wheeling!  Don't know if you have had the pleasure off meeting Roland and Linda, but they are real people!  

I've stayed in the park and outside the park. Rio Grande Village is the only full hookups and it's an asphalt parking lot. There are three other cg's but size limitations get involved. We stay in Study Butte, pronounced Stoody, at Big Bend Resorts. It is no resort by any stretch of the imagination but it has good power,water and sewer. 

There are several off road opportunities you can safely do in your  Cherokee.

If your coming in from the northeast, in Marathon near Hwy 385 and Hwy 90, the Marathon Motel and Rv Park is a Passport American Park. Check out the Gage Hotel.  

While in the area, I suggest staying a night or two at the Davis Mountains State Park. This is a convenient location to visit the McDonald Observatory. Get tickets ahead of time for one of the Star Gazing Parties. 

More later if wanted.

The Big Bend, Terrlinqua area is very interesting, it and the inhabitant's, are like no others, I have found in the World. For about 100 Sq. miles, you have multi millionaires, living in harmony with poverty!  The barter system is alive and well, a lot of "Stoned" or drunk people live there all year.  Yes, it's very safe to be there and they have the annual World Chili Cook Off there, that draws tens of thousand's off people from all over the Globe! 

The Robertson's from Duck Dynasty, bought a 286,000 acre ranch in BB.  Trivia of the morning!  It's a Exotic Hunting Ranch for friends only!