michaelhillhouse

Neutral Reversed Warning Light On Protecter

When I plug the motorhome into 120 volt garage plug electrical system I get 2 green leds and 1 Red led with the notice 1 leg open and neutral crossed. There is no power the the system inside the coach.

What do I need to do to correct this.  I started the generator and the electrical system worked just fine and the coach worked fine last weekend at the campground during a rally ?

Michael

Michael,

You either have a significant problem with the shore power you are plugged into, a problem with an adapter or a problem "upstream" of the ATS since generator is showing OK.

SO, have you checked your shore power connection with a voltmeter?  Is it a 30 or 50?  Coach is 50??

It's 30 amp but I have been plugged in to the house system with power to the refrig and charger with no problem until yesterday and today . I did change to the house 120 vt system and do have 3 green led's but there still isn't any power to the house plugs yes the coach is 50 amp

Not sure I am clear on exactly what is and is not working. So, if this is incorrect, please correct me:

You are plugged into a 15 amp outlet at the house? Or is it a 30 amp outlet?

The "house plugs" you do not have power to are some of those in the coach?

Do you have an inverter/charger, and are these outlets the ones that do not have power?  If so, many inverter/chargers have resettable breakers on them-- may just need resetting.

If this is not correct, please tell us exactly what coach, and electrical components you have that are not working.

Like Brett.  I'm totally confused.  You plugged the coach into a designated 30A in garage or 10, 20A?  I'm suspecting that you tripped a Circuit Breaker in house or coach.  Have you checked?  It could also be that your battery charger is set at more than 5A and tripping house CB when your Fridge kicks in along with something else that is on.

In my old garage, I had a 20A outlet and it was fine for charging my batteries and running Fridge...as long as I remembered to adjust my charger to 5A, otherwise it would trip the garage CB.  Now I'm on a designated 50A at the house.

Mike,

Sorry for your problem. Are we talking about when you got home and plugged in you had your issue or was it in an campground?  Several questions. Are you using your cable from the coach to the pedestal or plug? I had an issue where my power was going haywire and it turned out to be my extension cable . It had a short in it and gave me all kinds of issues. Went to my coaches cable and every thing cleared up.

Is your surge guard portable or mounted in your coach? As Brett said have you checked the plug with a volt/amp meter? And if you at a campground can you check another pedestal? If at home do you plug into a 50 amp plug, a 30 amp plug or just a 15 amp outlet? It doesn't seem possible that your outlet at home would change where at a campground nothing is impossible.

Let us know what you find and we will see you next month in Texarkana.

Herman 

I am on a 20 amp circuit from the house  . I have the portable surge Guard on the 50 amp line . I am not hearing the box energize when I plug in the cable the box as I call it used to make a sound when I plugged in a power source . I call it a box for lack of a proper name and no it is not the converter it's in line before the converter supplying power . All the electrical system inside the coach is dead . Plugs , refrig , ect.. What originally happened was I didn't turn the AC's off before I plugged in and now NO power . I checked the circuit breakers in the coach and none are tripped .by plugging in the house 20 amp I now have power to the coach with an extension cord but still nothing .

not hearing the box energize when I plug in the cable .... is this the portable surgeguard you're referring to?

What originally happened was I didn't turn the AC's off before I plugged in...you tripped a house breaker.  If you're using a 20amp garage plug, its most likely on a GFCI, look for a tripped GFCI. 

by plugging in the house 20 amp I now have power to the coach with an extension cord but still nothing . What were you plugged in with before you were plugged in with this extension cord? 

If it is showing neutral crossed and 1 leg open, that is referring to the fact that somewhere in the wiring, and most is the outlet that it is plugged into, the hot leg is on the silver screw, the one that has the widest spade, which is incorrect. The hot should be on the brass screw, the one with the narrowest spade. 1 leg open means that only two of the three legs make connection to their destination.

Jim ,

I was plugged into the garage power with the ext cord that's where the problem began  . I checked the gfci in the bath room and not tripped It also had one in the kitchen also not tripped . I have no power to the plugs to trip anything . .I do have 120 vts going to the system with a new extension cord and plugged into my house  . But no power in the coach , what or where is the ATS and could I have possibly knocked it out >

I don't have a Inverter / charger on my coach  It came with 2 120 vt to 12 vt chargers I can;t go from 12 vt to 120 there fore no house refrigerator .

Actually, two separate issues:

Agree with kaypsmith that in the 20 amp house outlet that the hot wire and neutral are on the wrong posts.  EASY to check with voltmeter:

From narrow straight to round should read 120 VAC and from long straight to round should read 0 VAC.  That is the first thing that needs to be verified before plugging in!

Next, and separate is if only one leg in the RV is hot there is a problem in your adapter.  The 15/20 male to 30 female adapter is not the suspect.  The 30 male to 50 female needs to be checked.  With it separated from coach/shore power, check it with an ohm meter. In fact, you can check it with the two adapters connected together:

The  narrow straight on the 15/20 end should be connected to (continuity) to BOTH outer straights on the 50 amp female end. This connection takes place in the 30/50 adapter.

Mike,

We need to know what coach you have to give you specific locations for the ATS, BUT most are pretty easy to locate:  Follow the 50 amp cord into the coach.  It will go directly to the ATS. Generator output "meets" there as well.

But, if you are not safe working around 120 VAC, do not open the box.

BTW, starting the generator, if everything in the coach works, you have verified that from the ATS "forward", everything is OK.

Brett ,

I solved the open problem when I changed to the house plug I now have 3 green leds on the circuit protector but no activation for the system when plugged in. I just don't know where to start with the no power to the plugs or refrig . Is the ATS easily damaged when plugged into an open reversed system  .

It is a 2003 Dutch Star which had no Inverter / charger installed from the factory and if I damaged the ATS about how much would it cost to replace it ?

Mike,

You need to have someone safe working around 120 VAC check out the ATS.

But first, verify that on generator, everything works in the coach. 

If so, all that needs to be checked is the adapters, shore power cord, wiring from side of coach to ATS and the ATS itself.

Brett .

I have checked the cord which has 121 vts to the system I.m afraid I knocked the ATS out on the shore power side , and everything works ok with the Generator it,s just no power from the ATS on shore power

Thank You everyone who replied and gave your suggestions i really appreciate the response's 

Michael

As an update I opened the compartment all the way and the box I mentioned turned out to be the ATS with relays . I am hoping that it's the relay but won't find out for sure until I take it to the shop Monday . I learned out the hard way to let the Pro's check out electrical system on the coach when I'm not sure how to check out the problem .

Thanks to all who replied 

Michael