lylefikse

New Coach: Discount Off Sticker

On a new motorhome sticker price $439,000 what would you expect to be the discount off sticker?  What if the unit was new but last years model, same question?

There is a big difference between dealers and different parts of the country.

What are you looking at?

There are a bunch of used quality coaches in that price range.

Bill

Lyle.  When you see a Dealer MSRP, Google the Manufacturer and look at their MSRP, it's generally lower than the Dealer, the subtract 30% and you'll be in the ball park!  2017, or 18.  A new 2016, I would figure 40% off Dealer MSRP or more.

Dealers are mostly all greedy!  They jack the $$$ up, I don't care if it's a pedal bike or a Newmar King Air.  Think of it as a game, your not suppose to know what the actual dealer cost is or the actual manufacturing cost.  By going on a factory tour and then ordering from the factory, they will contact a dealer and tell them what your paying...now, at that point you can take delivery at the factory!  That will piss the dealer off because he can't put all the add ones, on.  Like delivery charge and undercoating (it already has that and there is no delivery charge).  The PDI is done at the factory!  You can even go watch "Your" coach being built.

MSRP is just a number...pick one!

We are looking at a new Newmar Dutch Star.  Are you telling me factory direct is cheaper than going thru one of their dealers?  Seems unlikely they would sell cheaper than their dealers.  Seems to undercut the dealer network.

Go to Lazy Days site and look at their current DP for sale.  There are new ones, even 2018's, reduced 35% and more.  Here is how I look at their pricing in general.  The manufacturer produces a coach for example (labor/material) at a cost of $150,000.  They want to make a little money so they sell it to dealers at $225,000.  The dealers get to place a MSRP of $450,000 on these coaches that actually cost $150,000 to produce.  Now they discount it $299,999 and the customer thinks he just got a huge deal.  In reality the dealer made a cool $75,000 off the sale.  But remember there will be tons of buyers who will pay in the neighborhood of $230,000 to $240,000 for that same coach.  

If I was in the market for a new coach, and that will never happen, I would get the nationwide average MSRP of the model I was looking at and start offering 40% less.  When I found a dealer that would deal at that price point I would throw in an extended 5 year warranty just before closing.  

In my view, when it comes to Class A motorhomes, start at 30% off the posted MSRP or "asking price" as a baseline only, then it becomes a matter of your negotiating skills and willingness to walk away from every potential deal you're considering be that new or pre-owned. The key being not to get into a rush or let yourself be consumed by "buyer's fever".

There is no such thing as a "good deal" when it comes to purchasing a Class A motor coach - there are only reasonable deals each of us independently reach and settled upon, i.e. The guy before you left money on the table...the guy after you paid less than you did, find what your comfortable with, buy it and move on.

Rick.  30/35 is normal for new...35/40 used.  The dealer already got the used coach at low ball  trade-in!  My current coach, I got used, 3 years and 26,700 miles old = 35% off top end retail NADA.  Right place, right time.  They practically had my 18 month old Allegro Bus sold, before I moved out. LOL 

Carl,

OP's initial post referenced the purchase of a new motorhome. I'm only suggesting that 30% off MSRP on a new unit is a good starting place. From there it's up to a smart buyer to negotiate whatever else he/she can get in terms of additional points or other concessions.