robandbarb

Rv Armor

Would like input from members on Rv Armor. They have said they will put a lien on my 2018 Aria . They put a RV armor roof on it . They reinstalled the Airmaxx cover on roof to protect fantastic fan and it  is on wrong and it is not sealed against roof and will cause water leaks when using fantastic fan while driving and it is raining or just have it open  while driving in rain .They refuse to change install and if I don't pay just because it is installed Wrong they said they will put lien on my coach, but they will not fix it right. They offered me $500 to have it fixed else where. I refused and said I would like it done like was done at the THOR Factory .Think twice before you do business with this company. 

If I drive with my Fantastic fan lid open in the rain, I get rain inside. My fans have the rain sensor and close when its raining. Do you not get rain in your house if you leave a window open when its raining. Curious, why did you have a roof replaced on a 2018 motorhome?

I had 50 things go wrong with my 2018 Thor  Aria in the 3 weeks after delivery ,including the refrigerator falling out of the wall, bad shower leak, window leak when it rained and there was a puddle of water by window in the morning when my wife and I got up,the radio and navigation Quit working, defective radio ,and much more .When we went to Convention in Indianapolis where we live ,we went to an RV Armor class and decided  to do roof so we never had to worry about it for life. The fantastic fan extra cover on the roof that protects the fantastic fan if you use it  while  driving protects the fantastic fan, even if it starts to rain. RV Armor improvised and put it a 1/4 inch off roof when it is supposed  to be sealed against roof so you can use it while you drive with no worry about it raining with it open.

Really doesn’t make sense, you replaced something that probably wouldn’t be a problem for over 10 years. A little bit of simple maintenance makes the roof last. JMHO, your mileage may vary.

Guess I need to do this again!  My last reply was 9 hours ago!

I'm having problems with this post...Why would you put a new roof on a new RV that is under warranty? :blink::wacko: I don't think we have 100% of the whole story here!  I have 2 fantastic vents, both with the Airmaxx cover so I can use it in the rain!  But Rob, you have 48 other things that is bad with your coach...Have you gone too or contacted Thor ?  "Don't ever have to worry about roof for life"!  Another dumb question/make no sense!:angry:

7 hours ago, robandbarb said:

Don't ever have to worry about the roof for life and it is a better material, does that make sense??????

"don't ever have to worry about the roof" and what are you worried about, the roof. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'm with Carl, what is the rest of the story?

Thor took care of our issues,  RV Armor wont.they put the Airmaxx covers are on wrong so I cant use in rain or they don't stop rain from leaking in. they left 1/4 inch gap and did not put them flush with roof.

They offered you $500, take it and get the after marked fixed...should cost about $150 max each.  Your ahead $200...I don't see an issue here!  Now, I hope for your sake, that the Owner of the RV Armor Franchise. don't sue you for Defamation of Character and/or Malicious Slander!   

Had you told us up front, that Thor had taken care of their end of this...My SO would not have scratched Thor of the list for a new coach, she was looking at the 45' Tuscany!  I'm looking at a new 40', tired of a 45 foot !  Thanks to you, now we have to re-evaluate everything!

We still have more issues with Thor they have not taken care of correct. I have not Slandered Rv Armor. Just told the truth and I can verify it. They put to much of there material on roof where Airmaxx covers are, and turned assembly brackets upside down  to raise Airmaxx covers up just so they have clearance to reconnect them and that left a 1/4 inch gap and it isn't sealed to roof ,not an easy fix, reason they don't want to fix it. I have yet to talk to the owner I talked to at Indy Convention RV Roof  Class , his salesman in Florida says I cant talk to him because he is too busy. As far as Thor I would not buy another one after our One month vacation was not pleasant after the refrigerator fell out of the wall and I had to gorilla tape it to cabinet to continue our trip without freezer that I taped it to wall with, the shower leaked, the bathroom window leaked all over floor when it rained ,the radio and navigation bit the dust after 3 days. This 3401 Aria could not have been inspected at all. Consider buying anything but a Thor if I were you. Could write a book on all our Thor problems.Good luck. Hope you find an A class you will enjoy for many years. Consider looking at a Newmar A class. More money but better quality.

Would appreciate a picture of the improperly installed covers with the 1/4" gap. 

Am having trouble understanding why that would not be a very easy fix.

Perhaps we can offer solutions.

On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 9:30 PM, robandbarb said:

They would have to remove there material from 8 total brackets ,put brackets back on like they were put on from factory put more RV Armor material on to seal the area where brackets are, wait for it to cure before reinstalling Airmaxx  Covers the correct way so they are sealed against roof. Sorry ,don't know how to put picture online for you. Thanks for trying to be helpful, have a great day.

:lol::lol: Now we know what takes precedence between a football game and a $300,000 coach! 

The Thor Tuscany can't be that bad...FMCA National President Jon Walker has one! :)

I have had over 50 years now, of Class A's and your the only one I have ever heard of, that put a new roof on a new RV! :blink::rolleyes::wacko:

My money. I spent on a new roof not to have to have to worry about for life.

No  offense meant but  you act like you have a problem with that. Why? I am sure the Thor Tuscany is a very nice unit. I hope that they inspect it  before leaving the plant like they didn't my unit. Enjoy your new unit.

I would not want anyone to get a unit with the problems I had. I had to get the president of THOR  involved in my problem as they said they could not get it in at the factory shop in Elkhart till Oct.2017, I took delivery May 22nd. The president got the date changed to Aug.7th.They did not want to show off my unit at the diesel rally 1st week of Oct. I expect.

I still have some issues to take care of  but nothing but nothing they won't take of under warranty. You seem like a nice guy I hope I have not offended you. Have a great evening-- to be continued.

My wife and Myself are NEWBEES to A classes, we could use much advice as we have a lot to learn. Any help would be good for us. If we had to do over there would be no new roof. The owner of Rv Armor was a good sales man and took  advantage of our lack of knowledge about RV roofs. we are both 64 years old and are learning the hard way on some things we have bought for our unit.

With our FMCA family we will do better or go broke learning LOL.

Rob, this forum does exist for us to help each other. If you're about to make a decision to do something to your motorhome and you have questions or you're just not quite sure about what you should or should not do...ask.  

Rob,

i have never seen a Maxxair cover sealed to the roof.  Mine are mounted with brackets to the vent side wall. According to the Maxxair mounting instructions, there will be a 1/2" to 1" gap between the cover and the roof.  Then it goes on to say "do not caulk this gap".  Did Thor use a different mounting system?

In Rob's defense. A friend of ours has a 2016 Thor Tuscany 45 AT. He purchased it new. When he was coming to meet us at a rally just after purchase he hit a rain storm. Water was pouring in over the top of the windshield.  The Thor warranty fixed it but the problem was that it had never been sealed by the factory.

Also when he arrived at the rally he stated that he could not get the water pump to work. He had to hook up to city water to have water inside the coach.  We found that the fittings around the water pump were not connected tightly and it was sucking in air.  He also stated that the ice make was not working.  On examination the water valve was found down behind some material and sitting over an electrical box. When the water was turned on for the ice maker the fitting blew off as it was just barely hanging on.

Don't get me wrong. All brands have problems and some models of any "line" could have more problems than others. It is the "lemon" of the beast and it happens with cars, trucks, and even houses.  Would I consider a Thor?  Absolutely but I would most definitely have an extensive PDI performed and that is for any RV I would purchase. 

Trust me, I have had my problems with my Winnebago. Others who have the same model have had little to no problems. It happens.

Yep.  A lot of things "happen" to Wayne! :o:rolleyes: Sorry, could not resist. :lol:

I had a Tiffin Allegro Bus 2011, it was as bad as The Tuscany & Wayne's together...even had the front cap fall off, that's a real blast at 65mph. :wacko::angry:  That's the reason I now have a American Coach Tradition, 2010 and bought it in 2013 !  Yep, it's cost me about $30,000 since I got it. :rolleyes:

You can get a $2 million coach and have a lemon. :blink:

As mentioned above, most add on roof rain covers have a gap between the roof and the cover, I could see where this would allow water to enter the roof vents while traveling. This and the lack of quality I experienced with the fantastic fans is the reason I removed all of the existing roof fans on ours and installed the model in the photo below.

I'm not sure a problem actually exists with the covers that were put on, photo would explain a lot.

I kind of understand why the unit was reroofed, we know the rubber roofs tend to be loud inside and require a lot of routine maintenance. Where as the roof system installed above doesn't require much maintenance if any at all and provides a better level of insulation and no side wall chalking. I would be concerned with the warranty now, if you got something from Thor in writing you should be good. I would hate to see something like a delamination problem occur and them blame it on the roof, sounds crazy but in most cases they look for a loop hole to bail out on a customer, I would hate to see that happen. 

Maxxfan.jpg

When traveling I have never done so with a roof vent open, either before or after the invention of Fantastic Fan!  Mine are there to bring in/out fresh air on a cool day, rain or shine, I have not had any invasion of water.  My max air is a high shell that allows my vent cover to be raised and fan used when it's raining...last time that happened was at FMCA Indy rally, Lord it rained the day before the event !  As Herman and his parkers can attest to...that was a real "Frog Strangler"!