Sign in to follow this  
ynott96

50-ampere power cord

I have a 2008 Forest River Georgetown Class A motorhome. Following Christmas, I spent a couple of weeks traveling throughout southern Florida.

The temperatures ranged down to below freezing, and when breaking down at the campsite, the 50-ampere power cord was quite reluctant to coil up with ease.

I am searching for a replacement power cord that will be much more flexible in lower temperatures.

George

Bottom line is there isn't any. The cord is the size and type it has to be to carry that much voltage/amperage. One solution would be a cord reel but if your GT is like ours there isn't room in the electrical compartment to install one. Unfortunately it is what it is.

On a side note, since you are a Forest River owner check out the Forest River Forums.

George:

When the tempature is low and the 50-amp cord is hard to retract, the reality is that you are not using the air conditioning units. Therefore a 15- or 20-amp circuit is all that is needed to keep the battery up and do all the standard tasks you do in the coach. This assumes you are not using electrical heaters; in that case, a heavy extention cord is all that is required to get power to the coach. It is much easier to coil up. We camp in tempatures down to about "0" F and have found that using the extention cord works better than messing with the 50-amp cable.

Cheers

Larry

I have trouble heming mine up in the compartment also. I'm very careful to not pull out anymore than I need at each campsite. The plug is coming off the end of mine. I bought a new one at camping world but haven't put it on yet. I hope the colors match up when i cut the old one off. I'm not much of a do-it-yourselfer but I don't want to pay to have it done. ccmsm

Hi George,

Welcome to the FMCA forum. What I have done is screw a large "L" shaped hook into the ceiling of the electrical bay. I coil and hang my shore cord to this hook. This does not completely eliminate the problem in your OP. However, for me, it does minimize the problem. By hanging each coil on the hook, gravity works with me to help coil the cord. The hook is steel with a plastic coating. Their original use is to hang things in one's garage. They can be purchased in all the hardware big box stores and Ace Hardware.

Cord flexibility is addressed by a couple of manufacturers for cords to be used in extreme cold. As a practical matter however, for replacement of a coach's 50A cord, wrestling w/the cord in the occasional freezing we get in southern climes isn't in the cards. You can get great #10 extension cords to 100 feet that will power a 20A circuit to the coach and that come in a flexible sheath/insulation material. You have to ask for a cord that is flexible to minus temps or shop on line for such.

I have a 30A cord that is pretty flexible, and makes a great jumper in cold weather and extension when I don't need 50A (which is most of the time). I bought it at a trailer supply joint on the road somewhere. You just have to heft the particular cord & check its flexibility as these RV cords don't (as far as I know) come w/any temp ratings like professional extension cords (usually of lighter amp ratings).

Here is a link for a 14/3 cord (way to thin for RV use of any kind except maybe a yard light) but giving an example of what to shop for.