punxsyjumper

Time For A Residential Refrigerator?

Hi Folks, we just got the "uh-oh" beeps on our Norcold 121X fridge. Book says it is a "high temp limit switch is open" and not serviceable by the consumer. It beeps on AC as well as propane. We did just get a good rain/wind storm blow through and then it started beeping a couple minutes after. Not sure if it is related.

If anybody has a fix that would be great but looks like it is time for the residential  fridge to be installed. Been reading through the forum and I def want to get rid of this thing if nothing else, for the fire hazard. We just got into Sioux Falls for our residency and will be here for a month so now would be a good time to do it. I'm looking at this thing and wondering, how do you get the old one out and the new one in? The door doesn't look like it would be big enough. The windshield needs replaced so maybe that's an option.

It's a bigger job than I'm capable of (100% DAV) so any tips or questions to ask to make sure it gets done right?

Jumper,

As several others have  done I installed my own. We have a 2002 Monaco Dynasty. We didn't have a furnace under our Nevercool. 

As for how to get it out I P/Oed the DW. I pulled the unit out and sat it in the floor. I then proceeded to cut it into pieces and threw them out the door one piece at a time. 

Getting ahead of myself. Before I started I got the unit I wanted to install, a Samsung RF-18. It is17.6cft. and runs fine on my MSW Trace 2000 watt inverter.  I remove the doors, hinges and the freezer drawer. It was a complete rectangular cube. I then made a light weight wood frame. I then tried putting it through the front door. I found that if I removed the door stop, so the door could swing all the way open, removed the passengers seat, I was able to get it in the door.

All that being said a lot will depend on the TV location. That was why I made the frame. If it will go through the door GREAT, if not you may have to go through a window. 

I did do a couple of modifications to the electrical, water and floor.

If I can help send me a PM and I will give you my number and you can if it would help.

Herman 

Thanks Herman. There is no furnace underneath the fridge and no TV to worry about. The book said "not serviceable by consumer" but I did get it running again by turning it off and waiting about an hour and turned it back on. Since I'm on shore power, I put it on AC and it has been working.

That being said, I still want it out of here pronto, Tonto. We are looking at having solar installed when we get to Yuma in November and maybe they could do the fridge. I might be able to physically get it in here but it's the electrical end of it I'm not sure about. There is an outlet underneath to plug it in and I do have a Magnum 2K inverter. The only time I run it on LP is if I'm doing an overnighter in a Walmart or something. I think I do have your number so maybe tomorrow I will give you a call and bend your ear if you don't mind.

I did all the things Herman did except when Lowes delivered my Samsung RF18, the delivery guys (3) removed the Nocold that I had sitting in the floor and brought the Samsung in and set it in the hole. I gave them 20 bucks each. They hauled off the Nocold as an extra bonus.

You can plug the electrical in to the outlet the ice maker was plugged in. 

3 hours ago, Punxsyjumper said:

Hi Folks, we just got the "uh-oh" beeps on our Norcold 121X fridge. Book says it is a "high temp limit switch is open" and not serviceable by the consumer. It beeps on AC as well as propane. We did just get a good rain/wind storm blow through and then it started beeping a couple minutes after. Not sure if it is related.

If anybody has a fix that would be great but looks like it is time for the residential  fridge to be installed. Been reading through the forum and I def want to get rid of this thing if nothing else, for the fire hazard. We just got into Sioux Falls for our residency and will be here for a month so now would be a good time to do it. I'm looking at this thing and wondering, how do you get the old one out and the new one in? The door doesn't look like it would be big enough. The windshield needs replaced so maybe that's an option.

It's a bigger job than I'm capable of (100% DAV) so any tips or questions to ask to make sure it gets done right?

Following on with what Herman said. Measure your door, I bet it is about 24". Find the measurements for the refrigerator installed. Compare them to the Samsung RF-18 "counter depth". This is a great replacement if it will fit. My refrig was in the slide and I lacked 4" of height. I ended up using a Sears that was the same cu foot as the Dometic. With the doors and hinges off it fit through the door with 1/4 in to spare.:D The delivery guys set it inside re installed the doors. 

I had to extend the floor of the refrig opening because it wasn't a counter depth unit. I added some trim to fill the rest of the opening.

One outher thing, it didn't come with a icemaker and sears wanted about $245.00  to add the icemaker (parts +labor) I bought the same ice maker on Amazon for $45.00 and it took about 15 min to install it. Makes lots of ice.:P

Bill

2 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

Following on with what Herman said. Measure your door, I bet it is about 24". Find the measurements for the refrigerator installed. Compare them to the Samsung RF-18 "counter depth". This is a great replacement if it will fit. My refrig was in the slide and I lacked 4" of height. I ended up using a Sears that was the same cu foot as the Dometic. With the doors and hinges off it fit through the door with 1/4 in to spare.:D The delivery guys set it inside re installed the doors. 

I had to extend the floor of the refrig opening because it wasn't a counter depth unit. I added some trim to fill the rest of the opening.

One outher thing, it didn't come with a icemaker and sears wanted about $245.00  to add the icemaker (parts +labor) I bought the same ice maker on Amazon for $45.00 and it took about 15 min to install it. Makes lots of ice.:P

Bill

Thanks Bill. Looks like the Samsung will fit but I will def measure to make sure. I used to be really handy and did my own stuff but I don't bend like I used to, hehe. I'm looking at this and if I can get the guys to get the fridge in for me, I might be able to do the rest of it. I like Jim's tip and have no problem tossing them a $20 each to set it in for me.

The high limit switch/relay is resettable.  Need a strong magnet.

Just google "Norcold high limit switch reset".

If course, determining why the high limit switch tripped is important to determine if you want to continue with it or replace it.  But, operating it out of level CAN trip it!

If I remember correctly, the Dometic and Nocold was real sensitive when it came to level....with a residential unit, you don't have that problem.

2 hours ago, wolfe10 said:

The high limit switch/relay is resettable.  Need a strong magnet.

Just google "Norcold high limit switch reset".

If course, determining why the high limit switch tripped is important to determine if you want to continue with it or replace it.  But, operating it out of level CAN trip it!

That's good to know. We are parked up and level but we did have a good blow come through and it seems that may have contributed to it. It did give me cause to read through the forum a bit on the Norcold and now I'm very concerned with the fire hazard. I think if we go out for a few hours, I will turn it off till we get back and then turn it on again. Don't want to leave my dog in here with it while we are away.

3 hours ago, Punxsyjumper said:

Thanks Jim. How hard was it getting it in the door?

I removed the door stop just as Herman did and the delivery guys removed the doors from the Samsung.  Easy peazy for those young burly men. They removed the Nocold by taking the doors off.

16 hours ago, elkhartjim said:

I removed the door stop just as Herman did and the delivery guys removed the doors from the Samsung.  Easy peazy for those young burly men. They removed the Nocold by taking the doors off.

OK, I can handle taking some doors off and I'm sure I could get them to do the grunt work. Thanks

16 hours ago, manholt said:

If I remember correctly, the Dometic and Nocold was real sensitive when it came to level....with a residential unit, you don't have that problem.

Yeh, looks like. Definitely going to get a residential. Thanks