DWAYNECHERAMIE

Air Bags Replacement

I have a 2003 Fleetwood Excursion. Changing the front air bags.

The bottom nut is in a precarious position, think it's a 1-1/16 or 1-1/8 nut.

Wondering exact size and where I can get a special wrench to reach it.

Is the problem turning the wrench or clearance to get the wrench on the nut or do you need a long wrench to reach into the area?

On 9/25/2017 at 5:00 AM, DWAYNECHERAMIE said:

I have a 2003 Fleetwood Excursion. Changing the front air bags.

The bottom nut is in a precarious position, think it's a 1-1/16 or 1-1/8 nut.

Wondering exact size and where I can get a special wrench to reach it.

I just remove the bottom bracket and use a socket on the nut.  Had to do it on my current coach.

I have a 2003 Monaco Windsor 40' and am confident the front drivers side airbag needs to be replaced.  Does anyone know where I could get it replaced in the northwest Houston or Bryan/College area?  

Paul

Paul,

Check with one of your local Truck Shops. They may not replace it for you but a good parts man should be able to get a part number and or even order it for you.

Does it air up at all? if it does, then does it loose air slowly or quickly? If slowly it may be an air line leaking.

You may already know it but your chassis is a Roadmaster. During all the time when Monaco went bankrupt was sold the Roadmaster chassis was sold to Freightliner. They may be able to assist you with a part number.

Herman

32 minutes ago, Hermanmullins said:

During all the time when Monaco went bankrupt was sold the Roadmaster chassis was sold to Freightliner. They may be able to assist you with a part number.

Herman

Herman,

My understanding is a bit different.  After Monaco's bankruptcy, the "new Monaco" discontinued using the (more expensive) Roadmaster chassis and went with Freightliner chassis.

I am not aware of any information that Freightliner would have (other than generic information) about the Roadmaster chassis.

But, the Roadmaster chassis (there are several) has been widely enough used that many shops are familiar with them.

And, replacing an air bag is NOT rocket science.

1 hour ago, Pawoodtx said:

I have a 2003 Monaco Windsor 40' and am confident the front drivers side airbag needs to be replaced.  Does anyone know where I could get it replaced in the northwest Houston or Bryan/College area?  

Paul

Give Pete a call at Action RV in Conroe.

They do great work.

Blake

I  will second what Brett has said about changing one..."it is not rocket science" in fact very easy and not stressful. The bags on my Safari Panther I changes 4 of them in a couple hours time. Cost for the bags should be around 300 apiece.  

Herman,

I probably need to observe it more closely but it does air up and stays up while driving but the air pressure gauge goes down fairly quick when I kill the engine. I suppose I have only four air bags or at least that's all I have found so far.  I'm pretty mechanically inclined so I may try to take it off and see if I can find a part number. 

Thanks for the help everyone,

Paul

25 minutes ago, Pawoodtx said:

Herman,

I probably need to observe it more closely but it does air up and stays up while driving but the air pressure gauge goes down fairly quick when I kill the engine. I suppose I have only four air bags or at least that's all I have found so far.  I'm pretty mechanically inclined so I may try to take it off and see if I can find a part number. 

Thanks for the help everyone,

Paul

Paul, I would spray every connection down with leak check . It might not be the bag leaking.

Bill

Okay guys thanks so much for the help. You have given me enough info to keep me busy for a while. I'll let you know how it goes. 

Paul

If the system has a leak in it, e.g., air bag, the air pump will continue to run keeping the system as inflated as it can keep up.   If the leak is substantial you should notice it on the air gauges. Instead of 125 psi you may only be showing 100 psi or 90 psi all the time.  If it gets below 70psi it's time to pull over and get it fixed as you are close to having your brakes lock up.

Walking around with a good ear may detect a general area of the leak, then a spray bottle with soapy water may show where the leak is when sprayed in the area.

I had a relief valve on the air drier stick open and my AP dropped to around 70 psi.  I did pull over, found out what it was and called Freightliner.  They are the ones that warned of below 70 psi.  I know 65 is the typical cut of but to err on the side of precaution is better.

Sorry, that was on my 2008. It really got slimed up, and I have my MH's serviced once a year.

Also, under warranty, was the dash air gauges. Freightliner had a problem with the fitting on the gauges where the air line connected. They replaced my air gauges.  I noticed it because in a short while the pressure reading dropped more than it should after shutting down.  Also, rabbit ears that can hear anything - Earlene, heard a slight hissing sound that my deaf ears can't hear. 

Brett lived just a little ways from my storage unit and he dropped by and found that the leak was under the dash. Ergo, replacement.

Thanks again Brett.

Freightliner Air gauges.

I had the same gauge problem and was replaced twice on my 2007 WB Tour 40 KD.:P  After the third time in that many years, I had after market gauges installed. :)

Be sure to place blocking under the frame. Last year a mechanic in Indiana was suffocated when the MH he was underneath  pinned him. He suffocated to death before he could be rescued.

Two good HD bottle jacks for air bag replacement is almost a must. If you are not a smoker, get someone who is, air the coach up and while it is, let the smoker blow heavy smoke exhales at every fitting, watch the smoke movement. Using this method saves time over the spray bottle at every fitting. Of course you will need the bottle to verify exactly where the leak actually is.