studebrucer

Tiffin 32 Diesel Pusher

We are in the process of buying our first coach. It will be a diesel pusher. I have just started to research the 32 foot Tiffin. Sounds like it gets good fuel mileage.

Any owners that can confirm that? How is the Navistar engine? We are looking to be on the road 3 to 4 months at a time. Is there enough storage ? Are the holding tanks large enough to boon dock for several days?

A 32 foot motorhome is really really small for 3-4 month trips. The storage space is going to be very limited and you asked about boondocking for "several days", I guess we need to know what your definition of several would be.  I'm sure the holding tanks are going to be relatively small and since you have no first hand rving experience its going to be a wild learning curve. 

Again I will suggest you rent a motorhome for a week before buying one. Its not for everyone.

Studebrucer, suggest you go to http://tiffinrvnetwork.com/index.php where you will get more accurate and pertinent info to your questions about the Allegro Breese from actual owners some friends of ours in Tiffin travelers chapter FMCA  recently traded their Breeze for a 36 ft Tiffin dp 

tom gulya

vp tiffin travelers chapter

I just had my ECM flashed at the Cat shop in Portland (06 Country Coach)and they had the same coach in for repairs. The Mechanic said, if you have to work on the top side of the motor (where the ECM is) you have to remove the bed with frame to get to the motor. The up side,  maybe 10 to 12 mpg.  Look to see how EZ the coach is to work on, because at $140hr it does't take long to rack up a good bill.

I think that would be a weekend coach, maybe a week. I would look for a 36'  

2 stroker 

Are you hoping to see 10-12 MPG results from your Country Coach?  Is this a 25 footer?  Planning to drive no faster than 45?  If not, I can't begin to imagine one of our big 'ole CC's every seeing anything close.  What was your MPG before the flash?

We got rid of our 32 ft diesel pusher that we used for 17 years and 150k miles.  We would be in it for 5-6 months at a time.  Not much extra room.  We now have a 36 ft with slide and it is so much more comfortable.  I would go with a Cummins engine.  We have the ISB 275 and just got back from a 6k mile trip and averaged a tick over 10 mpg, 28k pounds with 1/2 Silverado.

7 hours ago, BillAdams said:

Are you hoping to see 10-12 MPG results from your Country Coach?  Is this a 25 footer?  Planning to drive no faster than 45?  If not, I can't begin to imagine one of our big 'ole CC's every seeing anything close.  What was your MPG before the flash?

I will never see 10 or 12mpg in my 40' CC.  I had an oil pressure problem 130psi at a cold start on my C-9 400 Cat, now with a reman oil pump back to factory speck 87psi. I get 6.5mpg pulling a 2011 Ford Edge, runs a lot better after the flash.

Studebrucer, I would look at a 36' coach with 4 slides, one thing nice about CC they have a side radiator when you open up the back you see the motor not just a radiator.

2 stroker 

If your looking for good fuel mileage it will be only slightly better in a small 32ft coach but you will be giving up comfort and storage space for sure.

Tanks sizes will likely be smaller and many other things will be a compromise going so small especially for 4 months at a time.  Boondocking could be a challenge.

One thing I see very often on this and other forums is people buying something too small and then upgrading over and over which gets expensive.  Starting out a little bigger then you think you need will pay dividends down the road in many cases.  Being able to tow a car (or truck) behind the MH is something many people do and it's usually easier with a bigger coach which most likely has a bigger motor to do the job you want it to do and not struggle especially going up hills.

We recently sold our 2011 Tiffin Breeze 32. Although we enjoyed the coach it did have a few limitations. For 2 people there's enough room to carry everything you'll need. Water capacity was good but the holding tanks require constant monitoring even when at a location with full hook-ups.

Our rig didn't have a bedroom slide and this made it difficult to move around the bed. Coordination and planning are required to get dressed or undressed for bed. Other than that it was a solid performer and with routine maintenance we never experienced any major problems.

Now I would give the Navistar engine a C-. On straight and level roads it accelerates quickly and sips fuel to the tune of 8 - 10mpg. On the Grapevine or similar grade you will be extremely frustrated with the lack of power.

Also it doesn't have an exhaust brake so constant downshifting to maintain downhill speed. Overall it was a nice starter rig for us but I would only recommend it to someone who's small statured if you want to stay happily married. 

We appreciate all the follow up. Months have passed since I started this thread, and we have narrowed down our purchased to a used Tiffin or Newmar.  My wife and I are having a disagreement about size. I have heard all too often not to buy too small. We have looked at 34 up to 40. I do believe we could live comfortably on a Tiffin red or Ventanna in these lengths

The source of our disagreement is based on my wife's desire to insure we can fit in National as well as State parks. I too want to visit and enjoy as many of these sites as possible. However when you look at the available inventory to purchase there is a much bigger selection of 38 to 40 feet than there is of 34 to 35 feet. Seeing as we cannot order our used coach from the used coach factory, we are looking for input from those of you who enjoy the parks. Do you believe a 38 to 40 foot coach would preclude us from a number of national and state parks? We would also appreciate knowing if you have a 38 to 40 foot coach , what is it about that size that you find more appealing or useful?

The Perry Georgia event is rapidly approaching. We will be attending  in the hopes of meeting and speaking with as many of you as possible. We will then be heading to Florida to visit LazyDays, Independence RV and and North Trail RV, in the hopes of finally making our purchase. We are very excited.

We had the same dilemma when we upgraded to a DP seven years ago. I can only speak on parks in the NW.  We a have a 40' DP with 4 slides have had no problems find sites in state parks. National parks have been a different story,  we have been to both Yosemite and Yellowstone several times and neither have been able to accommodate 40', however accommodation are readily available just outside the national parks.

We have no regrets with our decision in going with the 40 footer.

Best of luck in selecting your new coach.

Jim

STUDEBRUCER, I would tell you and your wife that even if you have the absolute perfect size coach for camping  in National as well as State parks, this doesn't mean you can get in. I think you are putting to much weight on this. I have bEen to over 30 National parks-- many more than once. Did you know there are several that you can't take your coach in? You are going to need to be towing a toad to get the most out of your experience so not getting a campground in the park is not a deal breaker. Most of the time I plan on staying out side of the park and get reservations well ahead of time. Did you know Yellowstone in July had  over 30,000 visitors a day?

I just hate to see you get a coach that after a few mouths you are wishing you had more room when buying a small coach is not the advantage you thought it was.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Bill

I'm with Bill & Jim on this one.  Currently have a 45', but have had 40, 36, 32, 30 footers in the past 12 years.  I can attest that just because you have a 30', does not mean that you will have access to the National Park.  Now, if you intend to be a work camper, then they will accommodate you, up to 36' in most parks and you will have mostly 30A and water, you still need to dump!  Core of Engineer parks, I have stayed in before in my 45', but no sewage hook up.

My DO, Linda has a 40' DP and several times we will be in both rigs....we prefer to camp outside the National Parks...50A, water and Sewage hook up.  Also, room to sit and enjoy the outdoors, grill and not tell people that, "No we are not sharing food with you"!  I got several of those T-Shirts!!! 

I agree that if you are considering spending more than a few weekends in your coach you will want 38-40+ feet. Not enough room to liv e comfortably otherwise. Good luck in your choice.

Roland

We full time in a 38' w/4 slides - would not consider smaller.  Agree with above - most if not all NPs have nearby full service RV resorts.

Some folks consider not having 50 amps as boon docking.

I understand some people like State and National parks, But is that ALL your planning to stay at?  There are a lot of other places that are really nice too.

Some of those S & N Parks will be booked a year or more in advance so you may not be able to get in no matter what size RV you have.  So staying at a campground just outside the park will likely be able to handle a 40' RV with a toad without any problem. 

I can tell you this, I have a 40' unit and I'm alone and wouldn't want anything smaller.  The unit I have I bought from a couple that were going to buy a 45' RV so they could full time in.  So my point is, get the bigger unit now.  It will save you from having to upgrade again, if ever. 

A few things to think about are:

Do you want a washer/dryer in the RV?  These are more commonly found in the larger units since there is more room for them.  Larger tanks on larger units is normal.

There is a huge difference between 30amp and 50amp and most larger RV's will have the 50 but smaller one's (like 32 -34ft) might not and only have the 30amp setup.

It's good you plan on talking to people at the FMCA rally - but if you have any parks near you - go visit them in your car and talk to campers that are there now (for advice) and see if there are any spots that could hold a 40' RV.  Just remember if you only visit one park that won't tell you too much.

Good luck with what ever you decide on.   PLEASE post what you decided on and why so others can learn from you.

On 9/23/2017 at 6:29 AM, manholt said:

Thank you, for staying in touch !  :)

If you come across a coach that you and your wife (especially wife) want, then please list the make, year, model and VIN#.  We have members that can do a background check on any problems, like a accident in the past or engine problems, and give you a feed back.

Good hunting!

Can you share how long this process takes, and what this research reveals?

Thanks

B

21 hours ago, RedandSilver said:

I understand some people like State and National parks, But is that ALL your planning to stay at?  There are a lot of other places that are really nice too.

Some of those S & N Parks will be booked a year or more in advance so you may not be able to get in no matter what size RV you have.  So staying at a campground just outside the park will likely be able to handle a 40' RV with a toad without any problem. 

I can tell you this, I have a 40' unit and I'm alone and wouldn't want anything smaller.  The unit I have I bought from a couple that were going to buy a 45' RV so they could full time in.  So my point is, get the bigger unit now.  It will save you from having to upgrade again, if ever. 

A few things to think about are:

Do you want a washer/dryer in the RV?  These are more commonly found in the larger units since there is more room for them.  Larger tanks on larger units is normal.

There is a huge difference between 30amp and 50amp and most larger RV's will have the 50 but smaller one's (like 32 -34ft) might not and only have the 30amp setup.

It's good you plan on talking to people at the FMCA rally - but if you have any parks near you - go visit them in your car and talk to campers that are there now (for advice) and see if there are any spots that could hold a 40' RV.  Just remember if you only visit one park that won't tell you too much.

Good luck with what ever you decide on.   PLEASE post what you decided on and why so others can learn from you.

Thanks for the follow up to all. This info has been very helpful. My wife is now open to larger coaches. We are very excited about  Perry .

I'm hoping after Perry we can make our purchase. All depends on what is in stock.

I have seen attractive coaches and pricing in Texas and Arizona. Have any of you traveled that far to make a purchase? ( we live in Maryland)  I do not mind the travel, I worry that once seeing the coach in person, it may not be in the kind of condition as represented.  Even a Big Mac looks good in commercials :)

I know it is a far stretch from Maryland but there are three really good Pre-owned RV sales here in Texas. In Alverado (just south of Ft. Worth) Motor Home Specialties www.mhsrv.com. In Nacogdoches there is Motor Homes of Texas, www.motorhomesof texas.com.  And in Houston there is PPL, www.pplmotorhomes.com. All of these are consignment sales dealers. Your are correct pictures can be deceiving but it is at least a place to start.

Beware of Pets and or smokers. If you find High mileage and pristine interior it may have been used just from a lot of point A to point B. Low mileage and rough interior it may have been used for going south for the winter and back north for the summer and really lived in. Please don't take my commits as gospel they are just my opinions. 

Hope you find just what you and the DWs would like.